Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
One of the most amazing cars I have ever seen in person. I was behind him on the 11-99 event which I think this video is from. Just simply beautiful.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Owner has had the car here for many years. It is a beauty.

Not sure how he got it in the door though, as there is no legal method for importing them to the USA that I am aware of. The DOT's 'Show or Display' exemption seems like it would be the best option, but the Zonda does not appear on the eligibility list as either confirmed or denied, which is strange because I know there have been some others in the USA too.

It can be dangerous to bend the rules, as ICE will seize vehicles that don't belong and seek forfeiture of them, then either crush them or auction them off for export only.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
531 Posts
But they are not on sale in the US, aren't they? What's the story behind that?
I think Horacio will be rethinking that with the Zonda's replacement, and we should get a car that can be imported.

What still surpsises me is my comment above - since 'Show or Display' would be the method I'd pursue with a Zonda if I wanted to import one, I am still shocked that no one has even attempted to use that method. If one had, it would end up on one side of that list - approved/denied.

Sure there are still the EPA hurdles to fight your way through, sometimes at great expense, but the engine is from an MBZ, related to other ones that do meet EPA standards, so we aren't talking about an impossiblity here.

Also, you'd be limited under 'Show or Display' to a maximum of 2,500 miles annually, but really is that something many Zonda owners are going to be concerned about? It's hardly a daily-driver, though it would be neat if someone did just that.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got my answer on the car's import status today, direct from the owner himself. While it has not been Federalized in any way, it is here through completely legal means. :)

His primary business is in the electronics field and he has a separate company working on electric vehicle technologies. With that company he was able to establish it as a vehicle manufacturer getting all the proper credentials and such. Using that status, he's able to import any vehicle for testing purposes just the way all the major manufacturers do it. He wouldn't be able to sell the car, and I am sure there are some limitations, but it seems to have worked just fine for him for many years. :cool:

The car was at Supercar Sunday today - finally my first time seeing a Zonda! I'll have some pics of it later on - haven't gotten them off my camera yet. Just wanted to answer my own question here since in some ways my previous comments might have suggested there was something underhanded about the cars existence here in the USA and now that's clearly not the case.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
91 Posts
^LOL... uhhh yeah, i'd say so

·
Registered
889 Posts
His primary company reported revenue of $142M US in the fourth quarter of 2009. I'd say he's probably doing fairly well. ;)

>8^)
ER
Really??? That's what i have in my pocket when i go to lunch:whistle::whistle:

Think Im gonna enter the damn eletrick business then. 142mil:bow1::bow1:

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Got my answer on the car's import status today, direct from the owner himself. While it has not been Federalized in any way, it is here through completely legal means. :)

His primary business is in the electronics field and he has a separate company working on electric vehicle technologies. With that company he was able to establish it as a vehicle manufacturer getting all the proper credentials and such. Using that status, he's able to import any vehicle for testing purposes just the way all the major manufacturers do it. He wouldn't be able to sell the car, and I am sure there are some limitations, but it seems to have worked just fine for him for many years. :cool:

The car was at Supercar Sunday today - finally my first time seeing a Zonda! I'll have some pics of it later on - haven't gotten them off my camera yet. Just wanted to answer my own question here since in some ways my previous comments might have suggested there was something underhanded about the cars existence here in the USA and now that's clearly not the case.

>8^)
ER
Always the man with the details :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got the same impression too Aimee. Definitely a passion for cars and very approachable compared to some others in the past.

Some of my pics from today:

Unfortunately he hadn't lowered the nose yet when leaving, but still - a Zonda on the streets of California was a sight to behold! :clap:

Several others will have better photos than me. Hopefully they will share them here too. :)

>8^)
ER

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.