Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A 48-foot yacht has mysteriously run ashore on Florida's Gulf Coast, west of St. Petersburg.

Detectives are still trying to figure out who owns the luxurious 48 Sundancer, which sells for about $1 million new.

No one has reported it lost or stolen. The only sign of foul play was the still-churning engine that propelled the ship onto Redington Beach.

The Coast Guard launched a search by air and sea Wednesday, but suspended it before dusk after nothing turned up.

The yacht, called Makin Waves, was most recently registered in Delaware. A Mexican flag is fixed on the bow, but an American flag flies at the stern.

Investigators found a previous owner, but say the ship probably wasn't registered after the sale and may have changed hands again.
Reminds me of the "college students claim yacht" thread: http://www.luxury4play.com/marine/48614-college-students-claim-yacht.html

Seems like a great opportunity to pull this off the beach and claim it. :wink:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
haha, the college students claiming the yacht was close to me...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ If you salvage it you have to file a claim in federal court.

In order for a claim to be awarded three requirements must be met: The property must be in peril, the services must be rendered voluntarily (no duty to act), and finally the salvage must be successful in whole or in part.
Marine salvage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure how an investigation affects things, but I suspect whoever drags it off the beach first is going to get it. Maybe someone who knows more about maritime salvage law can comment.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
All depends if the vessel was abandoned, if the occupants were killed and then thrown overboard then the initial bank or owner still retains possession.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
guaranteed it was an amateur theft or insurance recovery job.. Ive heard of owners doin the same thing plenty of times before.. Fill the tanks, aim the bow towards the horizon and let her eat...while you're sittin on the avon headed back to the docks... but, they forget about winds and currents and mechanical failures, lol...

·
Registered
331 Posts
guaranteed it was an amateur theft or insurance recovery job.. Ive heard of owners doin the same thing plenty of times before.. Fill the tanks, aim the bow towards the horizon and let her eat...while you're sittin on the avon headed back to the docks... but, they forget about winds and currents and mechanical failures, lol...
That is the first thing that popped in my head...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts