Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into an argument with a friend about how the way you dress can affect the way your prospective employer may think of you. I dress in a fairly formal way, but I mix it up with jeans sometimes. I always like to look put together. My friend says that employer would think that I'm a "jerky wasp" living off of mommy and daddy's money. I on the other hand believe that an employer would think that if I put that much effort into how I dress, I would put a lot of effort into my work. Do you all think this is true out of personal experience? I'm not going to change the way I dress based on this, but I'm curious :lol:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I was brought up at work with the phrase "dress for the position you want."
The more lax you dress, the more lax you act. Over the summer, our typically business casual office allowed jeans every day. The noise level was higher, people were hanging out in the cubicles of others more, etc. Now that we've gone back to business casual attire, the professionalism seems to be higher.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh, I had a feeling I was right :p Thank you for your replies :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dress depends on where you are interviewing.

There is a diminishing return to this. (Thinking of Will Ferrell's interview in a tux.)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Why would a potential employer even concern himself with a potential employees sleeping situation or current income? lol..

Dress for success. Always look like youre prepared to work,

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tend to dress like an asshole think that guy on the Kardashian show. But for an interview be conservative White dress shirt Blue black or gray suit. Express style in the shoe but be conservative. I work in finacial markets and even if your clients or empoyers are wild, they prob dont want you to be wild if that was the case they would do it themselves. After a while there and youve proven what you can do then do as you please.

Eric M

·
Registered
36 Posts
For a interview, you have that one time to make a good impression. So it would be best to dress success. As far as you work clothes it is not always possible or practical to dress for the position you want. But it is always safe to dress conservative and not stick too far. If you are dealing with the public…you need to know you client or your customer and dress accordingly. We are no longer in a one shoe fits world as work attire.want

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
dress to impress.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I was always told to dress like your were interviewing for one position up. It shows you could have what it takes to take over if the need arises.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just interviewed at a company (1500 employees +) that I had previously worked for, applying for the same job... I have a great relationship with the management and personally know the owner and his family. I easily could have showed up in jeans, t shirt, and hat and gotten the job. I wore a suit.

I won't even associate myself with people that can not put forth a simple effort of etiquette to look like they care.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had to come back. If your worried about what to wear take a stroll through the office as a potential client. Take into account how the employees are dressed.

Then go one step above.

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
I have hired and fired a few in my time, trust me when I say the way you present yourself matters. You have to dress the part.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wore a shirt and jeans when I went to get a job at Dominos Pizza lol and I got the job very little questions asked n they were impressed hahaha

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I have always been told by family members that you should always dress for success/dress to impress, because it's hard to change first opinions. I believe that most people judge you by the first thing they see, your clothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts