Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd love to see Hennessey attempt to make the car a true production car - as far I know though they're still only street legal in Texas and out of country. And I believe they still cary Lotus VINs and are registered as Lotuses. Until that time though they really shouldn't be considered production cars...gotta play by the rules. Its unfortunate that they weren't allowed a return run, although I guess the record still wouldn't have counted because of the production car issue anyway.

Speaking of, I think their 0-300kph and 0-200mph records are invalid too for both the reasons stated above, but Guinness recognized those soo...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Congrats to John. RUF is considered a manufacturer and well-liked, though they perform even less modification than Hennessey.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'd love to see Hennessey attempt to make the car a true production car - as far I know though they're still only street legal in Texas and out of country. And I believe they still cary Lotus VINs and are registered as Lotuses. Until that time though they really shouldn't be considered production cars...gotta play by the rules. Its unfortunate that they weren't allowed a return run, although I guess the record still wouldn't have counted because of the production car issue anyway.

Speaking of, I think their 0-300kph and 0-200mph records are invalid too for both the reasons stated above, but Guinness recognized those soo...
I was thinking the same thing --in the fact that Guinness only considers a record if there is a back and fourth run and I think they have an hour to do it or else it does not count. So as far as I know and the WR goes its not a world record run not to mention the fact that the people from GWR were not there to witness or verify the record. So it may be a VBOX record but it is not a recognized GWR.

Have you guys read the comments on the youtube video page. A lot of people are saying how the Veyron SS is slower but they do not realize/ acknowledge that the Veyron SS is limited do to the tires. If there were tires that could handle faster speeds safely they could open up the car more and go faster. If all these company's want to put their money where their mouths are I say lets put all these exotic cars in one place at the same time and open them up. Lets get an official world record. Make it an open invitation for "production cars" ONLY. No one offs or aftermarket companies. Each car company will supply their best driver and car and lets see who is the FASTEST of the FAST. I know this will never happen but it would be awesome to see.
the Veyron Up even further.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I think I read that you have to make 30 to be a "true production" car but they only will make 29 of these..... that cant be right!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think I read that you have to make 30 to be a "true production" car but they only will make 29 of these..... that cant be right!
That is a stipulation for Guinness. There must be atleast 30 models produced. They must also make a 'down-n-back' style runs using their average speeds to consider it valid. I don't think Hennessey is claiming themselves are fastest production car though. From what I have seen by them it only says "World's Fastest" in which case, to date, they are right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Amazing feat, credit is due; but it is still typical Hennessey smoke and mirrors bullshittery. The reason they don't want to make 30+ a year is that they WILL be considered a manufacturer and will have to answer to the same standards as the big boys; ie pollution, safety, etc.
I would love to see the Stig thrash it around though, I would be willing to bet Top Gear would hate the car, no traction control, no AWD, it is basically a shifter cart with top fuel engine strapped to it, cool? Yes! Enjoyable on a trip through the twistys touring the country side on vacation? I think not!

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
ahhhhhhh got ya

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
They could make 300 of the damn things but they're still a modified lotus in my eyes. They're VINed as a lotus for damn sake. And I still think the "worlds fastest" thing is a bit of a stretched general statement unless they really mean worlds fastest street legal vehicle. And even then, idk if that's necessarily true.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amazing feat, credit is due; but it is still typical Hennessey smoke and mirrors bullshittery. The reason they don't want to make 30+ a year is that they WILL be considered a manufacturer and will have to answer to the same standards as the big boys; ie pollution, safety, etc.
I would love to see the Stig thrash it around though, I would be willing to bet Top Gear would hate the car, no traction control, no AWD, it is basically a shifter cart with top fuel engine strapped to it, cool? Yes! Enjoyable on a trip through the twistys touring the country side on vacation? I think not!
You are totally correct about why they are doing the 29 car thing. It is an amazing feat to make this Lotus go 270. There is just something about Hennessy performance that always rubs me the wrong way. Did they make a fast as [email protected] car--well.... sort of. They took a Lotus modified the crap out of it and put a big ass engine in it. Did VW wedge a Veyron engine into a GTI and do the same thing--no--they started from the ground up and built a car that you can drive everyday and if and when you wanted it to go fast it will do it without much trouble.
Koenigsegg, Pagani, McLaren all started from scratch and did a lot of R and D to make the cars that they did. So my hat is of to these guys for all the work they put into producing some of the fastest cars out there. Hell Mclaren could have jammed a Formula 1 engine into a Lotus and make it go fast as well but thats not their style. So to me yes the Lotus GT is fast but it is not a car built from the ground up by Hennessy.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
^ +1 i heard some crap stuff

·
Registered
200 Posts
You are totally correct about why they are doing the 29 car thing. It is an amazing feat to make this Lotus go 270. There is just something about Hennessy performance that always rubs me the wrong way. Did they make a fast as [email protected] car--well.... sort of. They took a Lotus modified the crap out of it and put a big ass engine in it. Did VW wedge a Veyron engine into a GTI and do the same thing--no--they started from the ground up and built a car that you can drive everyday and if and when you wanted it to go fast it will do it without much trouble.
Koenigsegg, Pagani, McLaren all started from scratch and did a lot of R and D to make the cars that they did. So my hat is of to these guys for all the work they put into producing some of the fastest cars out there. Hell Mclaren could have jammed a Formula 1 engine into a Lotus and make it go fast as well but thats not their style. So to me yes the Lotus GT is fast but it is not a car built from the ground up by Hennessy.
actually hes wrong. It makes no differnce if they make 29 or 30 cars they would still not be classed as a production car by anyone other then Guinness. The whole reason for using a used lotus in the first place is it's already titled and the model has passed crash testing and emission testing. Just becuse you heavily modify an existing car doesn't mean it's legally considered anything other then what it's titled as. These cars will always be lotuses tuned by hennessy not a bespoke automobile produced by hennessy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
actually hes wrong. It makes no differnce if they make 29 or 30 cars they would still not be classed as a production car by anyone other then Guinness. The whole reason for using a used lotus in the first place is it's already titled and the model has passed crash testing and emission testing. Just becuse you heavily modify an existing car doesn't mean it's legally considered anything other then what it's titled as. These cars will always be lotuses tuned by hennessy not a bespoke automobile produced by hennessy.
Don't tell that to Hennessy in every interview he never refers to it as a Lotus because of how much he has modified it. This car is a joke. In his mind it is his creation that he developed on a whim on a napkin. It is a LEGO car--You snap a Chevy engine in a Lotus and now we have a Venom GT.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is a stipulation for Guinness. There must be atleast 30 models produced. They must also make a 'down-n-back' style runs using their average speeds to consider it valid. I don't think Hennessey is claiming themselves are fastest production car though. From what I have seen by them it only says "World's Fastest" in which case, to date, they are right.
I believe they were making that claim right after the news broke, but it seems they have backed off of that a little. You can see in this video at the end that they call it a production car.

They could make 300 of the damn things but they're still a modified lotus in my eyes. They're VINed as a lotus for damn sake. And I still think the "worlds fastest" thing is a bit of a stretched general statement unless they really mean worlds fastest street legal vehicle. And even then, idk if that's necessarily true.
The "worlds fastest" claim is very stretched. According to Hennessey themslves "the Hennessey Venom GT set a new world speed record for 2-seat sports cars by reaching a top speed of 270.49 mph (435.31 km/h)." Since the Venom GT is a tuner car he has to be open to being judged against other tuner cars with his claim. In that case the Performance Power Racing Ford GT is the record holder at 283.232mph, AND it only needed 1 mile to reach that speed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"The Hennessey Venom GT just hit 270 MPH on a runway. The Koenigsegg One:1 thinks that's cute. And that's because it should be able to hit 280 MPH. Oh, and it can go around corners like mad. Welcome to the new king. This is our behind the scenes look at the world's new mega car"

Enough Said!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts