Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to turn a wine fridge into a humidor and I know the basics like wanting the temp setting to be able to be at 70 and making sure the fridge doesnt eliminate humidity from the cabinet etc etc. But my question is how will i know if it eliminates humidity? I can find temp ranges no problem but as for humidity im at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
you need a hygrometer.

i have a few of these ones:

Amazon.com: HygroSet II Adjustable Round Digital Hygrometer: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more

they cost about $20 each and you will need to calibrate it before using it. this one tells you the temp and the rh (relative humidity). if your fridge removes humidity your rh (once it stabilizes) will drop. all you have to do is add humidity by using beads, gel or a hydrometer sufficient for the size of your fridge.

good luck.

going to post my mini fridge to fridgidor photos soon lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I also have done this for some of my personal cigars. You want to buy a thermoelectric wine cooler I use the (Vinotemp vt-28teds). The highest tempature the wine coolers will go is 67 degrees and that is not a problem. Then you will need to get humidity beads. I have two, one pound bags of Heartfelt 70%rh beads. Most people like two , one pound bags of 65%rh beads. That is all personal preference. But you will need two pounds of beads. Then I also have a fan on a timer to circulate the air.

The one bad thing is if you have a power outage the temp will reset to 55 degrees and your humidity will drop fast. So it is a good idea to monitor it once a day and keep it on 67 degrees to aviod problems.

Hope this helps,
Joel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts