Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Blue Angels return for the first time since 2000! The last time I saw them at Stead Field, they were literally so low over the main grandstand, I could see their faces.

I know, I know - "no pics; didn't happen"! Well, come out and prove me wrong! If you get Chairman's Club passes (in the shade, full BBQ and open bar) you can meet the "Angels" after their show.

Here's the link to the events schedule and information. September 16 to 20, 2009

·
Registered
729 Posts
Haven't missed it in years. Staying at the Grand Sierra, gonna fly there in this:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been going for the past 10 years in a row, always flying in w/ my dad but am going to be in San Diego... I can't wait for that whole rocket plane series to get started though. Hopefully the unlimited gold race can be competitive without any of the big names having mechanical problems like they usually do!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I hope all had a great time!!

We had the great honor to meet Bob Hoover on Friday. He is no longer flying (87 years young), but what a phenomenal pilot. He is a former POW (escaped Stalag Luft 1 and stole an FW190) and was one of the principals in the Bell X-1 effort to break the sound barrier with Chuck Yeager.

If you haven't seen this footage of Bob Hoover, check it out - again, phenomenal!

We hooked up with another gentleman who was one of the first engineers to work on Rare Bear back during its initial restoration. Richard T told us that "the Bear" suffers from compressibility issues (i.e., in the turns at Reno, the F8F air frame wants to pitch up). One has to keep in mind that the plane was originally designed with an R2800 engine (2000+ HP) vs. the R3350 (4000+) in the air frame now.

That evening, a couple at the next table sat down with us (I thought they knew TR's FinL and Richard T). The gentleman had a "Critical Mass" logo on his shirt. I slapped my forehead and said something like "THAT's what is missing this year - Critical Mass (a Hawker Sea Fury)!!" The lady said "we're restoring it"! They had overheard us chattering about the races and were strangers!

It turned out to be Tom Dwelle and his wife Peggy. The plane is up for sale (restored back to original dual control version) at $400K! They are taking a "year off" (after 23 straight). Peggy flies biplanes, while their son set the record for the AT-6 class last year at Reno.

We had a ball - the only downside is that we have to wait 'til next year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts