Luxury4Play.com banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I collect for special occasions from the store when I find a Bookers bottle with more than 128 proof... They are rare and taste fantastic :)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Dr. H...between the cars, cigars, guns, and scotch my wife is perpetually rolling eyes at me. I am blessed not only because I have the means to but because I have friends and family I can share them with...plus a very tolerant wife.

·
Registered
569 Posts
AMGfan: Wow - that's an incredible collection!

How do the flavors change with the 25, 30+ year scotches? With the scotches that I've tried in vertical tastings, it seems that the smokey/peatey flavors increase until 15-18 years. After that it seems that the flavors begin to mellow out more and continually balance, but I've never had much beyond 18-20 years though. Do the flavors just become more balanced the older they get, or does something else typically become more prominent in the flavor profile?

·
Registered
942 Posts
AMGfan: Wow - that's an incredible collection!

How do the flavors change with the 25, 30+ year scotches? With the scotches that I've tried in vertical tastings, it seems that the smokey/peatey flavors increase until 15-18 years. After that it seems that the flavors begin to mellow out more and continually balance, but I've never had much beyond 18-20 years though. Do the flavors just become more balanced the older they get, or does something else typically become more prominent in the flavor profile?
Obviously he would know a LOT more than I would, but I've only noticed that the older a scotch gets (especially above 18 years), the smoother it gets - the flavors don't change a whole lot in my mind. This could also be different for certain types/regions, as I haven't had a ton of 25 or 30-years.

And AMG - that's great to hear. Nothing goes better with cars and whisky, etc. than a wonderful woman to share them with!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I can't say I am an expert and that my palate is very accurate. I do know that the longer a scotch/whiskey is aged in the barrel the more it will pick up from the barrel...also the the taste/character mellows out. I would say similar to the aging of a cigar except that aging of a whiskey stops once it comes out of the barrel...with my cigars they just age and "mellow" out in my humidors.

I have the 30yr Fine Oak and now the 30yr Sherry Oak (which is from what I have read is more traditional...whatever that means). I know that the 30yr Fine Oak was fantastic in nose and flavor...if it was $200-$300 better in flavor/character than the 25 is debatable and depends on the person and their palate.

The Glenfarcas which is a 40yr is almost 1/3 the price of the 30yr Macallan and gives it a run for its money.

I prefer the Highlands and Speyside single malts and have acquired the tasted of the peaty single malts like Laphroaig and Ardbeg. The two I have pictured above are like kerosene to the uninitiated...I started out my buddies with the fruity and aromatic Glenmorangies I have and as a punk I set them up with a shot of the Ardbeg and Laphroaig...I thought I saw flames coming from both ends when they took a sip. Personally...If I'm in the mood...the Ardbeg hits the spot.

Jon

·
Registered
942 Posts
What do you think of that Glenfiddich 18, Jon? It's a lower priced bottle but I had some a couple of months ago and absolutely loved it. Also, curious as to what that Glenfiddich Single Malt is and how it tastes? Never seen it before.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Dr. H...it is a solid single malt that isn't hard to find and won't break the bank. It has a long finish...which I personally like. Some consider it boring and not very complex but to me it isn't...I'm not a whiskey snob and I guess I like simple.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
AMGfan have you tried Bookers?

It is only a 7 year aged bourbon but it to me is the epitome of the bourbon flavor with a nice initial burn.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
AMGfan have you tried Bookers?

It is only a 7 year aged bourbon but it to me is the epitome of the bourbon flavor with a nice initial burn.
It's part of my buddies rotation at his house...I was impressed and partook! It'll be part of my rotation soon...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Nice to hear - some others I enjoy that are in the not too expensive isle but carry their weight when it comes to flavor are the Single 4 Roses and Bulleit.

I think I pretty much stick to those 3 when it comes to the KY bourbon.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Obviously he would know a LOT more than I would, but I've only noticed that the older a scotch gets (especially above 18 years), the smoother it gets - the flavors don't change a whole lot in my mind. This could also be different for certain types/regions, as I haven't had a ton of 25 or 30-years.
I can't say I am an expert and that my palate is very accurate. I do know that the longer a scotch/whiskey is aged in the barrel the more it will pick up from the barrel...also the the taste/character mellows out. I would say similar to the aging of a cigar except that aging of a whiskey stops once it comes out of the barrel...with my cigars they just age and "mellow" out in my humidors.

I have the 30yr Fine Oak and now the 30yr Sherry Oak (which is from what I have read is more traditional...whatever that means). I know that the 30yr Fine Oak was fantastic in nose and flavor...if it was $200-$300 better in flavor/character than the 25 is debatable and depends on the person and their palate.

The Glenfarcas which is a 40yr is almost 1/3 the price of the 30yr Macallan and gives it a run for its money.

I prefer the Highlands and Speyside single malts and have acquired the tasted of the peaty single malts like Laphroaig and Ardbeg. The two I have pictured above are like kerosene to the uninitiated...I started out my buddies with the fruity and aromatic Glenmorangies I have and as a punk I set them up with a shot of the Ardbeg and Laphroaig...I thought I saw flames coming from both ends when they took a sip. Personally...If I'm in the mood...the Ardbeg hits the spot.

Jon
Rock on - that sounds similar to what I envisioned. I think I was describing something similar, the smokey, vanilla taste increases from the barrel, then mellows out after that.

I'm still working on getting used to the peat flavor, the stronger ones are still too much for me. I have a nicer Islay (Bowmore) that was too much of it, but I have liked a few of the Dalwhinnie and Dalmore's I've tried from the Highlands. My wife spent a few days in Scotland and brought me back a bottle of Auchentoshan out of the lowlands that I've really enjoyed as well.

I'm slowly bringing myself over from the Bourbons and other whiskey's of the world into more of a Scotch whisky fan. And even if I don't like a bottle, it's still a ton of fun to try the different types and discover the differences in taste profiles.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Incoming...post pics when they arrive...

Hibiki 21 yr
Hibiki 30 yr
Glenlivet 1980 Cellar Collection
Jameson 2007 Rarest Vintage Reserve

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a poor college student, but when I want Whiskey

Yamazaki 12yr or 18yr

·
Registered
80 Posts