Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do the more expensive HDMi cables offer a much better quality than the budget no name ones. I need 3 x 5m cables a few friends have recommended Chord cables.

Does anyone have any Advice ?

Thanks in advance.

MarkD

·
Registered
4,840 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
you're welcome. good luck.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Marketing would have you believe otherwise. I'd agree that there probably is a difference between the 50 cent cable from amazon and the 10 million dollar cable from monster, but it is most likely negligible.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I used to design cables.

There is a difference in cables. But there are only a few things to look for.

You want gold plated connections. Why? while silver is a better conductor, it tarnishes just like any other metal. Gold will not tarnish. Over time, they will build up, which will cause poor signal/signal loss.

As for what is under the rubbber/coating... while silver would be the best, anything is good here. Just check the gauges. Too thin might affect it, but generally not. At least for HDMI.

We just tested a few HDMI cables, and found no differences from the $100 dollar cables, to the $10 ones. they all passed the signals at the same speeds, same gauge wires, same materials, just some looked more flashy then the others.

as some one else said, I too use monoprice.

I use any of the 24awg(american wire gauge) ones, with gold plugs

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I also use monoprice. by far the best prices and tons of sizes and different applications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,

So glad i did not just go and spend money on something with no benefit.

Thanks MarkD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts