Luxury4Play.com banner

Where do you take your car for service?

• Dealership

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Mechanic

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • At home

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • The next owner can worry about maintenance...

Votes: 1 2.2%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking this morning about whether I should switch to a small shop to do my car maintenance as opposed to the dealership. I don't know if it's a good idea, but I do believe labour rates are cheaper at private shops.

So where do you do your maintenance, and why?

-Dealership
-Independent Shop
-Work on it at home

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I take my TSX to a Japanese car service shop, but my mechanic at said shop is my friend from HS and he worked as an Acura mechanic for years at the dealership before leaving to go to this independent shop. I get the same services for far less money.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I do most of my work my self. But if more work is needed that i dont want to do, or have time. I have a small shop i always go to and trust very much. I actually have one of my cars there right now getting a lot of work, due to i dont have time

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I do it. if i cant work on it..i dont and wont buy it (unless it the slr)
I also have a big barn with a full car lift. motorcycle lift, a machine shop and every tool you can imagine..so its not that hard. the right tools will make the job right.
I dont build the engines though...not smart enough for that. yet.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do it. if i cant work on it..i dont and wont buy it (unless it the slr)
I also have a big barn with a full car lift. motorcycle lift, a machine shop and every tool you can imagine..so its not that hard. the right tools will make the job right.
I dont build the engines though...not smart enough for that. yet.
Hahaha I guess having the right tools definitely helps. Although funny story about that. When I got my first car, I went out and bought lifts, tools, a compressor etc... to do the maintenance on my own.

I did two oil changes and changed a set of rims then got tired of doing maintenance so my cars have been going to the shop ever since.

My lift seems to only be used when a buddy needs it...

·
14,490 Posts
at home.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I have a personal mechanic who owns a tuning shop and he has built both of my drift cars over the years and he maintains my cars aswell as my mothers. He only charges me for parts!!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i do it myself, mercedes tries to make me buy a charcoal interior air filter if i do a service there.... i smoke in the car no need for it. plus its an extra $400, pulling the grand total to a ridiculous $600

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
^ damn.

I work on my cars myself.

thats why i went to school for it, passion for cars.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The beauty of a maintenance plan that comes with BMW all included ;) but I do have a f-350 that is out of warranty I usally go to a good shop because you get what you pay for and the cheap shops always **** something up unless you know someone that's trust worthy.

·
Registered
747 Posts
do all of my own work on everything, as said above, if i cannot work on it i will not own it.

i am considering a e320 cdi for my wifes new dd, and will have the things i cannot do done a the dealer.

also have a '10 jetta that has the free scheduled maintenance package, but will do the work when it expires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts