Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
one of our shipping vendors came in and he had one of the guys he works with. I noticed he was wearing a watch and asked him what brand it was. He tells me it's a Patek Phillipe and I ask to check it out. I look at the back of the watch and I see this...

Not this..

I didn't have the heart to tell this young watch aficionado tI just met hat is was a Fauxtec Fauxllippe

When is it appropriate to tell a guy the watch on their wrist is phoney baloney?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It depends on whether they are ignorant, or whether they try to pass it off as the real thing...

If they were gifted the watch, I tend to stay out of the "your watch is fake bro, sorry" deal. If they bought it and know it's fake AND try to pass it off as the real thing, I don't hesitate to let them know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It depends on whether they are ignorant, or whether they try to pass it off as the real thing...

If they were gifted the watch, I tend to stay out of the "your watch is fake bro, sorry" deal. If they bought it and know it's fake AND try to pass it off as the real thing, I don't hesitate to let them know.
I agree 100%. I actually do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was funny , he said it was his father's watch so I was like, right on a real Patek!! He even handed it to me all carefully. The second I looked at it though I was Meh... The guy was interested in having me make a strap so I was nice haha.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Let him feel important. He'll likely not accept the fact that it's fake, or knows that it is and has the same story brewed up for everyone he encounters. Denial goes hand-in-hand with replicas.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It sounds like this guy isn't a friend of yours or someone you personally know, and just an associate at most. In that situation, I don't really see a need to tell him he's wearing a fake watch. If it was a friend, family member, etc, I would feel like I have a responsibility to let them know. I come across people from time to time with fake watches, or they are just completely out to lunch and lie and make up stories all the time. If these people are not my friends, I just simply go along with their bogus stories and laugh in my head. The way I look at it is, what good or benefit will I get from telling some stranger his watch is a piece of junk and is fake? Same goes with calling out a lair for something that doesn't concern me. I don't consider myself passive at all, but there is a place for everything. In your situation, I think it would be best to just smile and move on. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I would want someone to tell me if I was ignorant of the facts.
No way I would want to pass of a knock-off as real.
I have some fake watches and I tell people the truth.
Problem is those same people don't believe me when I tell them one of my watches is real. Don't care what they think. I only care what I think. I don't believe in passing fake for the real deal. I also don't feel ashamed of wearing fake.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There are only 2 times its appropriate. If they are buying or selling it, or if they are bragging and a full time asshole. Any other time just makes you an arrogant douchebag. You know the kind, the ones who walk up to others and flip their tie over to check the label. The kind that thinks its their place to find flaws in others to build themselves up, the kind that thinks they are superior because of their possessions. The kind that nobody really likes, and needs to get punched out more often.

Who are you to embarrassed someone and take away their happiness?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I guess I am that d-bag. On a couple of instances with friends of mine, I have called them out on the spot. One friend had a fake version of my Pam and when I called him out said "damn it, I knew not to wear it in front of you, the girls don't the difference." I wont call out a stranger but friends are friends and we all have fun with one another.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"You see this watch? I can buy your whole family with this watch. You know how much this costs?!" <-- Thats the time to let a mofo he's wearing a fake.

Since he said it was handed down to him don't hurt his feelings.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Patel Phillipe :lol: Definitely sold in convenience stores.

"Three dollah."
Convenience stores? Who needs overhead when you can get a briefcase and set up shop on Canal street!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Was at the track yesterday, saw a fake hublot of the f1 king power variety. The start chrono pusher wasn't even close and thing was ticking.

·
Registered
469 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts