Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never boarded in th US but we've got a possibility of a great package deal to Vail over New Year's...

So what's Vail like as a place to spend a week skiing/boarding?
There'll be 4 or 6 of us, me the only boarder, I'll get down anything and go anywhere, my wife skis, she's got good technique but lacks confidence, though hopefully spending the week with the guys we're going with will help that improve. But she won't want it steep and deep. A couple of the others will go for most things.

Is it good for a mixed ability group? Is it convenient to ski separately in the morning and meet up for lunch or vice versa? That might sound daft, but it's not easy in some European resorts.

Anything we should know before we book it?
Is it a rip off to eat/drink like some French resorts, or good value/normal.

Any input would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Vail tends to be a little on the pricey side when compared to other resort towns in the area. It is no Aspen though.
You will be able to ride at your ability and your SO can ski at hers and you can both meet up for lunch prior to going back out. There is some good shopping in town and a little nightlife.
If you find you don't like it, you are within an hour or so of Breckenridge (wider runs and a little more nightlife) or Keystone with night skiing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also, meals are a bit of a rip off but they are at all resorts. The early season snow has been great here and we are well above the average snowfall for this time if year.
I live in the Denver area so feel free to email me if you have other questions and I will do my best to help out.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. :)

Just checked out the cost of the lift pass though.. $558 for the week we'd be there... ouch.

That's significantly more, like 80% more than some of the European resorts we're looking at!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
vail is the winter wonderland for me.
I have been to all the good areas. deer valley, my fam owns a cabin near silverton, my wifes fam has an apartment in aspen...but for me..vail is where its at...the food cost a lot but its so good. its like always christmas there lol

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, we missed out on the deal we were looking at, but the lift pass was making it not the bargain it would have been with a price comparable to France/Italy.

Oh well, I'll get to ride over there sooner or later. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Been to Vail a few times, on the slopes and the bars. The bars are unique, some underground like the bar FUBAR (its really fun, buy the shirt they sell). Needless to say the girls there for some reason are all hot, don't know why, but I fell in love with many women that night.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Too bad you passed. Vail is the largest mountain in the country, excellent skiing, nightlife, etc plus Beaver Creek Mtn next door is equally amazing, albeit smaller. IMO, Vail/Beaver Creek, Park City, and Jackson Hole are my 3 favorite ski resorts in the country. Park City being my favorite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts