Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is currently illegal in CA to import certain animal parts for commercial purposes. But, starting 2015, these animals will include crocodiles or alligators... What will the manufacturers do on their watches that currently carry these type of animals on the straps by the year 2015? A few examples would be AP ROO and their hornback straps... or Panerai and their gator straps. Will manufacturers be forced to put a different kind of straps on these watches when they send them to California? Seems crazy to customize watches to that point just for the state of California.

What do you think?

Citation: CA PENAL § 653o - 653r

Citation: West's Ann. Cal. Penal Code § 653o - 653r

Summary:
These California laws relate to the importation of certain animals parts for commercial purposes. Under the law, it is unlawful to import into this state for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any polar bear, leopard, ocelot, tiger, cheetah, jaguar, sable antelope, wolf (Canis lupus), zebra, whale, cobra, python, sea turtle, colobus monkey, kangaroo, vicuna, sea otter, free-roaming feral horse, dolphin or porpoise (Delphinidae), Spanish lynx, or elephant. Starting in 2015, it shall be unlawful to import into this state for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any crocodile or alligator. Section 653p makes it unlawful to posses with the intent to sell any part or dead body of any species on the federal endangered species list or species covered under the MMPA. Section 653q makes it illegal to import for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any seal.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Though I have many animal-skin watches straps and wear ostrich belts almost daily, I think this effort is a good step forward. I'm curious to see what comes of the law, and how this affects Panerai (comes to mind), specifically. Knocking off base models and not being able to offer animal-skin straps is quite a change-up, IMO.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Interesting...maybe there's a loophole for farm-raised animals. I'm curious how they could tell "free range" horses from farm raised ones. Maybe free range shell cordovan is better? LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Once again, "We are the government, and we are here to help".... NOT! The government needs to concern themselves with protecting the borders and getting out of the way, rather than worrying about watch bands. These idiots are too busy wasting money, giving hand outs and spending us into oblivion, than balanced budgets and living within their means.

Reactions: LaEnana

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Sometimes California seems like a different country than where I live. As to what happens to watch bands, I dunno, but I'd sure be buying what I want now and keeping receipts. Here's a thought, do y'all think that the DNR, Wildlife Officials, and Police will stop and question CA's citizens or visitors when they see skins or hides being used? Outside of shops/stores and e-commerce it sounds like it will be impossible to stop between private parties.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I don't think its going to change much. People will just buy out of state. Its not like the cops are going to be checking peoples wrists and asking to see your freedom papers

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
the same things will happen that happened to the fashion industry for certain animal skins, they will simply stop selling certain items here or offer a variation that will pass the law. people with the ability or desire can go outside of the state to buy--owning isn't illegal i believe. friend wanted a givenchy python purse which barney's carries--just not in california. went to manhattan and purchased.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Welp, theres always Vegas. As an animal lover, I think these are stupid regulations.

·
7,022 Posts
I guess purchasing said straps will not be allowed. Thats simple. But, what about the individual pieces that Panerai, AP, etc sell WITH those straps as part of the original box set, if you will? For example, I believe some of the Ti Luminor pieces come with brown croco. Does OP change it to a leather or does the BH boutique have to switch it out? The strap that is included with preowned pieces when I go to looking for a purchase is one of the ways I perform a "litmus" test on the seller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts