·
Registered
7,639 Posts
You're screwed.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Here is what's going against him.

1) First car, age 16-25 bracket, huge increase in price.
2) BMW is notorious for higher insurance rates as parts for collision repair are often more expensive.
3) It's the M3 version.
4) Did I mention the age bracket + any sports car = even higher rates?

No one can give you finite amount as rates vary from state to state and person to person. You also didn't mention if you wanted Liability or Full Coverage. Your best bet is to check out various online agencies and use their quote generator.

·
Registered
936 Posts
16 yrs old? An E36 M3 and an E46 330 should be about the same. Unless you are going with a ZHP, I would go for the M3.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Depends what company is insuring. Almost all the major insurance agencies give free quotes; I'd make another email and start filling them out to the best of your knowledge and go with the best one you see fit.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
cant be that bad...tons of people in my highschool were driving e36 m3s around...and this was when they were new.

but then again...i have no clue what insurance is like for teens thesedays.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
May not be so bad.

Not sure what are you are "set" on getting, but you may want to pick up a 4dr e36 m3.
Insurance is a lot cheaper.
As for Insurance Symbols. BMW's are not bad at all (and I live in NY) as they are relatively hard to steal due to encoded key technology.

I had an e46 m3 conv when I was 27 and my insurance was not bad.

They also have good crash test ratings.

Depends on your locale, record too and the coverage you want of course

Dont get in over your head.

·
L4P Judge Jury & The Executioner
5,783 Posts

2) BMW is notorious for higher insurance rates as parts for collision repair are often more expensive.
3) It's the M3 version.

No one can give you finite amount as rates vary from state to state and person to person. You also didn't mention if you wanted Liability or Full Coverage. Your best bet is to check out various online agencies and use their quote generator.
Good info here :clap:

Realistically without giving a local agent or company your information you will not get a correct quote.

If you would like a ball park...
300-700 for 6 months, Liability only. (Depending on what the required state minimum limits are)

Insurance premium's vary from state to state, city to city, house to house, person to person. Just because your friend is paying XXX.XX and almost everything is the same does not mean you'll be paying XXX.XX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here in Cincinnati Ohio I'm 25, I own a E36 M3 and Progressive charges me $525 every 6 months for full coverage with $250 deductible. I have 1 speeding ticket on my record.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May not be so bad.

Not sure what are you are "set" on getting, but you may want to pick up a 4dr e36 m3.
Insurance is a lot cheaper.
As for Insurance Symbols. BMW's are not bad at all (and I live in NY) as they are relatively hard to steal due to encoded key technology.

I had an e46 m3 conv when I was 27 and my insurance was not bad.

They also have good crash test ratings.

Depends on your locale, record too and the coverage you want of course

Dont get in over your head.
Thanks For the info!! ya now that you have said that i will proably look more in the range of 4 doors.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was 19-20 when I picked up my 1999 M3 and I had 1 point on my record - I was paying ~$2,500 annually but I'm sure you can find a better deal!

·
Registered
7,806 Posts

3) It's the M3 version.

You do end up crapped on if you start with a car your insurance company knows about. I had a 1993 240sx completly stock paying $69/month for coverage. I swapped the motor for an SR20DET, built it to 420rwhp, full suspension upgrade, wheels, interior ect and I was still payin $69/month until I added 100% collision coverage. Buy an old car and rebuild!!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Back in 2003 I was paying around $4200 a year for my 04 WRX at 18yrs old (no tickets or accidents). Trust me...just buy a beater.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Thought about an E36 326/328i? Put a chip and an exhaust on it and you're almost on M power but its cheaper to insure.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thought about an E36 326/328i? Put a chip and an exhaust on it and you're almost on M power but its cheaper to insure.
True... This might sound gay, but my dad gets Pissed of QUICK, i found out with my brother doing that same thing, he bought a E46 323i Nice thing, good soul in it. be whenever he bought stuff for it my dad flipped SH1T... so ill probably just buy the high performance and keep it stock (besides little looks) , insead of buying med. performance and modding it... i guess in the end ill get screwed by the insurance company, but have a kick ass car :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts