Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. Just curious to see what people are using in high horsepower/track applications.

I am in the market for a good street/strip oil and have used a few different ones in the past and haven't had any issues however I am going to be tracking my car quite a bit more.

I have used Royal Purple, AMSoil, and Valvoline High Performance.

I think I am going to start using Driven motor oil as the reputations speaks for themselves. I also hear good things about PurOl through Bisimoto.

Anyone have experience or stories with any of these?

·
Premium Member
21,656 Posts
Mobile 1 Advanced Synthetic 5w 30 in both cars. It's actually what is suggested, and I've had good luck with it. I don't track my cars, but I do push them to the limit on roads in Mexico occasionally. :whistle:

Many of my friends who do track their vehicles also run Mobile 1. I do, however, like to remind people that not every oil is good in every car. Royal Purple, for instance, has a horrendous reputation with most STI and Evo owners, but it seems to be a top choice for a lot of domestic owners.

Reactions: vtiracing08

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobile 1 Advanced Synthetic 5w 30 in both cars. It's actually what is suggested, and I've had good luck with it. I don't track my cars, but I do push them to the limit on roads in Mexico occasionally. :whistle:

Many of my friends who do track their vehicles also run Mobile 1. I do, however, like to remind people that not every oil is good in every car. Royal Purple, for instance, has a horrendous reputation with most STI and Evo owners, but it seems to be a top choice for a lot of domestic owners.
Just as different oil types are meant for different types of driving. There's a lot of false marketing out there for oil types and uses. My engine is getting up there in miles (thought still incredibly strong) I just don't want to blow it up.

Thinking I might try the Driven products or PurOl next go around.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, what kinds of effects was the Royal Purple having on the STI's and EVO's?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I run Castrol GTX in the daily. Change it every 5,000. I know Rotella T6 has great reputation in the Audi community, and turbo cars in general.

I have heard Mobil1 isn't great for turbos. Not sure how much merit that has though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on Shell Rotella is highly recommended in the Subarus and other cars with turbos as well. Depends on the car see what others are running and do the same.

·
Premium Member
21,656 Posts
Also, what kinds of effects was the Royal Purple having on the STI's and EVO's?
First you'd get the bad smoke, then you'd get a bill for a whole new shortblock. :lol:

I've seen some people say bad things about Mobil 1 on turbo vehicles, but I know far too many people who have had a good experience with Mobil 1 in Evo's, STI's and S4's to believe anything they say without proof. Of the people I've had say bad things, not a single one of them ever actually ran Mobil 1. It was all just hearsay.

As far as Rotella goes, I know people who run that and I've never heard a single complaint. I'd try it, but I'm honestly one of those people that will continue to use what I know has worked for me. I'm always hesitant to change to a different oil if I've had one working so well for me.

I will be making the move to the higher mileage formula of Mobil 1 in the somewhat near future though. My Evo has about 93k miles on it, and the STI has 72k miles on the motor, 112k total. I did have a complete failure of my original motor, which according to Subaru USA, was a motor "deemed for catastrophic failure from the factory." Subaru claims the oil had nothing to do with it, and it was in fact a manufacturer defect. I did specifically ask them if oil was to blame though, because the STI was the first car I ever ran Mobil 1 in. Before then, it was Castrol in everything I owned.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I get any name brand full synthetic (in the proper viscosity) that is on sale. I'm not dedicated to a brand, all the current full synth oils are fine for almost any normal use. Key is getting the right viscosity.

Reactions: DURGE

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I get any name brand full synthetic (in the proper viscosity) that is on sale. I'm not dedicated to a brand, all the current full synth oils are fine for almost any normal use. Key is getting the right viscosity.
I agree. Any brand name full synthetic is fine. Several years ago I had Firestone drop in Castrol GTX full synthetic. Found out later after having clocked a 500 mile road trip that the mechanic forgot to put the dip stick back in. If I had regular oil in the pan I would have lost the engine. Of course Firestone had to clean the entire engine, replace all of the belts and oil free of charge. Never saw the mechanic again, though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I go with Motul. There is a local indy guy that swears by it and it doesnt seem to burn as fast as Mobil1. Someone told me that Mobil1 is not 100% full synthetic. But I used it for a while and never experienced any issues. But I also have have been told by the Subie guys to stay away from Royal Purple due to other People having serious issues.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The deal w ppl saying mobil 1 sucks is they had to change the amount of zddp in it to get all the OEM contracts for emissions. The zddp is for hot running and high friction tappet style or roller cams. I still always used mobil1 for everything. Any of the track cars had 15-50 so it doesn't thin out as much at super high temps and the street stuff always gets 0-30 or 0-40 depending on sports car or not. My new Lexus is going to get 0-20 since I'll never drive it hard and put any heat into it so I want as muched reduced parasitic drag on everything for fuel economy and quick warmup times.
You can always run Mobil 1 and add zddp to it and there you go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts