Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Focus ST

Votes: 8 30.8%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting myself a car sometime in the near future and I have been looking at the Focus ST for a while. It's a quick, fun car, drives well and has a great gearbox. I think it's a great, cheap car and would do everything I want with one exception...FWD.

I live in MN and we have had some rather shitty weather lately which has led me to reconsider AWD. A friend at work is looking at the 2015 WRX which I like from a speed and function standpoint, but only a mother could love the look of that thing (IMO). This got me looking at the Evo X as another consideration.

Price wise they are similar (new ST is about $28k, slightly used X is about the same), and power wise are a bit different but still in the same neighborhood. AWD is obviously superior but from what I remember about sitting in the Evo at the Mpls Auto show, the interior is pretty cheap and chincy. Not that the focus is a mercedes, but it's at least soft touch and very well put together.

Also I have not driven an Evo, but this leads me to the question: this car would be my DD. I drive about 25 miles each way in a semi-metro area (again in Mn). I could see the ST being a good DD and I'm sure it's fine in snow, but I also like the thought of the Evo from a fun and MN-functional standpoint.

Evo owners, how is the ride quality and manual box as a DD?

Anyone driven both and have opinions?

Again I get that the Evo is a faster and overall better performance car, but I am looking ultimately for a good DD.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
393 Posts
Two completely different cars. The ST will be the Better DD, better on creature comforts, gas and the wallet. The Evo more fun to own and far more upgradeable. Happy medium would be a WRX (not STI). Last I checked for 28k you can get a new (left over 2013) for under your budget. 265hp, turbo with with a less plastic interior of the Evo and highly upgradeable. Ford has done an outstanding job as of late on design, so hats off to them but the ST would be far down on the list in a 30k car.

One last thought. A low milage Benz C300 4matic (AWD) have fallen below 20k. Saw a 2010 with 30k miles for $19,900.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I would take the Evo. You get a good AWD system and more power. I like the looks of both. In the past I was never a fan of STIs and Evos because they used to be junk as far as interior quality, but the X does seem to have a pretty nice interior. Also, just my $.02- no point in buying new- save some $$ and get a lightly used version, for either model.

The Focus ST is a nice car too, but FWD kills it for me. I'm sure it would be perfectly capable with snow tires though.

You could also take a BIG step up in quality and get a used 2010-2011 Audi S4 for around $30,000.

·
Registered
888 Posts

Here's a more appropriate comparo. If those are your two choices, EVO hands down. You need to test drive most of the cars in your price range and decide what you want. It'll be more clear than asking a bunch of stranger to choose for you, your personal car. Once you've driven all your choices, you'll know what you want, and what felt right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback folks! I appreciate the euro suggestions, however with any euro model, I am afraid of the costs associated when things break. My first car was a VW Passat that cost $6k and in the one year I had it, incurred about $3k in repairs. That experience scares me off of Audi's, Bimmers, Merc's, etc. I can afford it, but I tend to spend conservatively.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched this after my buddy at work told me about it. It's a great video and I love the Wrx because of the performance but that look is less than stellar for me.

Here's a more appropriate comparo. If those are your two choices, EVO hands down. You need to test drive most of the cars in your price range and decide what you want. It'll be more clear than asking a bunch of stranger to choose for you, your personal car. Once you've driven all your choices, you'll know what you want, and what felt right.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Evo Hands down!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Focus ST. I think the Evo is ugly and the ST is almost a cultic fanbase. They are far less common, look awesome, drive awesome and interior is superior in my opinion. My brother lives in Colorado springs and just bought one, he absolutely loves it. The torque steer sucks but it does everything else great.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
If you live where it snows, EVO without hesitation IMO. ST is a fantastic car, I considered buying one but I didn't care that much for the interior. Still a great car regardless for the price.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the continued feedback. Keep it coming! It's interesting that the group is fairly split.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, has your brother needed snow tires, or are all seasons okay?

Focus ST. I think the Evo is ugly and the ST is almost a cultic fanbase. They are far less common, look awesome, drive awesome and interior is superior in my opinion. My brother lives in Colorado springs and just bought one, he absolutely loves it. The torque steer sucks but it does everything else great.

·
Registered
469 Posts
love the focus! but im biased because I'm a hatch guy (r32); the st has all the comforts your probably gonna want for a DD. however the evo x is an absolute animal! however the interior on the X is basically rental quality. I'm also not a fan of FWD; torque steer can get very annoying (imo)which is why the I'd be put off by the ST. So as Aarron_M stated I'd definitely look into the wrx; just not the brand new one. Has plenty of grunt, a deep rumble, and AWD!

Reactions: Aarron_M

·
Registered
469 Posts
however if your going for the best DD ST; and seeing how I havent driven it; the torque steer may not be that bad. even heard that it may tend to oversteer due to the rear setup being lighter (?); if so I'd say the st just got more appealing than it already is lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
ST torque steers like a motherfucker! However it is a better DD then the Evo. If you want to have fun though, evo hands down. Why not look at something else in the segment? Megane RS, Golf GTI and Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV. All of them are faster than the ST, have better interiors, and handle much better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was looking at getting an ST love the car but ended up getting a Subaru STI because of AWD and i got it used for a better deal. So I like the ST never been crazy about the EVO.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Just curious, has your brother needed snow tires, or are all seasons okay?
The all seasons have been fine for him. On days with heavy snow or unfavorable conditions he drives his Explorer. He always tells me when it's not snowing Colorado has the best weather and a lot of sunny days.

Reactions: Aarron_M

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 36 Posts