Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked out a budget of 7500 to get my first bike. It for sure has to be a sport bike, I’m thinking something along the lines of an R1. All my friends are telling me to start out with something small like a 600 but I feel that it’s going to be way to small for me as I’m a big guy 5’10 and 240. If the bike experts can help me out that would be great looking for something powerful enough to push me around and easy (cheap) to maintain. Not planning to use it as a dd just as a weekend worrier. Looking forward to the input.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Even at that size I think a 600 would be a better starters bike and you can always sell and upgrade to a 1000 if a 600 isn't enough. Or maybe a gsxr 750.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would for sure start with a 600 if you've never rode before

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't be fooled... a 600 can have more than enough power for you.

It all depends though on what you plan to do with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
sv650s

close thread.
+1 - best to learn on something more suited to your skill level. And no, that would not be R1. Learn the basic skills on a lower powered cycle and you'll be around to ride a liter bike.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
ducati m750 is good... or somethign like a cbr600...

just get fuel injected

·
Registered
277 Posts
sv650s

close thread.
Another vote for the Suzuki.

I learned on the DL650 (just a dual sport version of the sv) and it was more than enough for me when I was just starting out, I probably would've killed myself with more power. Learn first, then you can move up to a more powerful bike.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
i need a new right leg. so if you get an r1, can you donate it to me?

and ill second the sv650

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
exactly...this is your first bike. not your last bike..
600s are just as bad of a frist bike if not worse than a 1000.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
How so?

I should be getting my first bike soon and would like some knowledge :)
people get over confident on em just because they are not a liter bike....the power to weight ratio and the speed are not that much different between them.

most newbs dont crash in a straight line but usually hit gravel and lowslide...or grab some brake and highslide. a 600 brakes a lot harder than a liter bike does...which also makes it bite back that much more..

literbikes have torque..that saves you sometimes...600s dont...which means that you will hunt for the right gear a lot...not a good thing for a beginner.

now I am not saying a literbike is good for a newb...its just as bad and worse in some other ways...just that a 600 supersport bike is not for a beginner.

thats where an sv650, ninja 250, ninja650 come in...teaches you how to ride right and expands your learning curve gradually instead of throwing you in the deep end.

PS..I pull faster times on my 600 at the track than any other bikes that I own...sure its a ex ama formula extreme bike..but its still a 600.
they are not that slow..even the slowest jap 600 supersport will rape every duc short of the 1198/1098 base around a track. you should what most 600s do to the 749, 849s at the wera club races...leaves em behind.

good luck, take it slow..and take the msf class. if you have any questions PM me..or some of the other seasoned riders on here.....even the 80gazzilion monster riders we have here lol...

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
What about learning on a supermoto bike like a yamaha wr250x?
well its a different style of riding...you hold a different line around a turn
and when you get good..instead of dragging a knee..you drag a foot. you kick your back out a lot also...which is hella fun and hella dangerous for a newb.

they are fun..but wont teach you as much about riding a sportbike as a 650 will. if riding a sportbike is what you want as your end goal.

another thing about sumo bikes are that they are completely useless on a highway...if that factors into your riding area/style or not.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It's so hard to choose! Because there are people like snowflake who I see myself relating to and just hopping onto a 600 but then there are people like bignmz who I know have a lot of experience saying the opposite......decisions decisions!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts