Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only thing you have to watch for in the R22 is you can't get into a negative-G situation (ie. push the T-bar abruptly) or you'd get mast bumping, followed by disintegration of parts in the air =)

But the joy of hovering inches off the ground while busy manipulating the 3 input - priceless!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
...and you lived to tell about it? :lol:
Hahaha truth has been spoken. Back in the day my grandpa went to buy a Robinson to survey land for his lumber business. They told him if they didn't go through their in-house training program and devote at least an hour or two to flying it every day, they wouldn't sell him one because he would kill himself.

·
Banned
9 Posts
There is some great information posted here. I found it interesting that the OP wasn't concerned with the costs of owning the aircraft which is often a good reason people lose their aircraft/autos/homes. Rule of thumb is that just because you can afford to buy it, doesn't mean you can afford to keep it. And that is what is important.

Some aircraft cost as much as $3k - $6K an HOUR to operate in the air. Something to seriously consider.

I am wondering what the thoughts are on our article about this very subject. The Smart Way To Buy A Private JetFASTLANE Lifestyle Magazine | FASTLANE Lifestyle Magazine

There is so much expense that goes into owning a private jet, people are often better off just hiring them as needed otherwise a jet isn't much more than a hole in the sky you throw money into.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
For a lot of people, "hiring" is the best thing to do. Unless of course they go over the 75-100 hrs per year mark, in which case owning makes more sense.

At 100 hrs/yr, we're only talking about 8 hrs a month or so. That could easily be a 4-hour oneway trip plus return. Whether it's for business people getting to meetings, athletes getting to sporting events, etc, there are indeed great reasons to own. Especially if these meetings etc generate revenue on their own and add to the top line.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hahaha truth has been spoken. Back in the day my grandpa went to buy a Robinson to survey land for his lumber business. They told him if they didn't go through their in-house training program and devote at least an hour or two to flying it every day, they wouldn't sell him one because he would kill himself.
Robinson's are safe helicopters to operate. You just have to be a proficient pilot.

·
Banned
9 Posts
For a lot of people, "hiring" is the best thing to do. Unless of course they go over the 75-100 hrs per year mark, in which case owning makes more sense.

At 100 hrs/yr, we're only talking about 8 hrs a month or so. That could easily be a 4-hour oneway trip plus return. Whether it's for business people getting to meetings, athletes getting to sporting events, etc, there are indeed great reasons to own. Especially if these meetings etc generate revenue on their own and add to the top line.
Gonna have to say you'll need to be spending a lot more time in the air than that to justify ownership of a jet. At that rate it costs way too much money to own, as in it's a waste. It's cheaper to fly from NYC to LA every week 1st class than owning a plane. Granted if you have a couple billion floating around with more coming then sure. It's like owning a weekend car. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did some math in post #15 behind the 75-100 hrs/yr. This is for used jets.

Comparing flying first class to private aviation is apples to oranges, not to mention "first class" in the domestic routes is really business class amenities on the international routes. Private aviation gives you access to a lot more airports (eg. Teterboro in NJ), and you can show up 10 minutes prior to with little to no security checks. Also you can be a lot more productive on a private flight with privacy.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I did some math in post #15 behind the 75-100 hrs/yr. This is for used jets.

Comparing flying first class to private aviation is apples to oranges, not to mention "first class" in the domestic routes is really business class amenities on the international routes. Private aviation gives you access to a lot more airports (eg. Teterboro in NJ), and you can show up 10 minutes prior to with little to no security checks. Also you can be a lot more productive on a private flight with privacy.
You've apparently missed the entire point. Was talking about the only thing that really matters and that's COST. Used Jet or New; it doesn't matter. It's still cheaper to hire, or just fly first class if all you're flying is 100hrs a year. As I said. That's one round trip to New York From LA a month. When you factor in Maintenance, storage, insurance, flight crew, fuel etc... you're a fool if you're owning a jet for only 100 hours a year. I don't know anyone who does that.

I have a friend who lives in Tahoe. He bought a Citation X because his kids live in Miami and he flies them to him every weekend, and at least twice a month he flies to them, plus business trips and other pleasure trips makes it worth it to him to own. For 100 hours a year? Waste of money regardless of the perks. :eek:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Citation X..... *drool*
You'll be drooling when you see that fuel bill, too, because your jaw will be permanently affixed to the floor. You can find used ones for $3-4M all day for that very reason.

All that aside, I would own one given the chance. The new Citation "Ten" looks even more incredible

·
Banned
9 Posts
You'll be drooling when you see that fuel bill, too, because your jaw will be permanently affixed to the floor. You can find used ones for $3-4M all day for that very reason.

All that aside, I would own one given the chance. The new Citation "Ten" looks even more incredible
Well that's the case with ANY aircraft. The fuel bills are huge, which is one of the many reasons if you're only flying 100hr a YEAR it's silly to own one.

I tell people all the time. Just because you can afford to BUY it, doesn't mean you can afford to KEEP it!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I was just watching Citation videos earlier yesteday and ran across a video explaining that the new winglets that can be purchased for the X and that they can be installed for a whopping $600k!!!

IMO it would be worth it because damn.... haha

(my current background pic on my nexus)

(bigger version)
http://i.imgur.com/Jqtjo5O.jpg

Just imagine....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Well that's the case with ANY aircraft. The fuel bills are huge, which is one of the many reasons if you're only flying 100hr a YEAR it's silly to own one.

I tell people all the time. Just because you can afford to BUY it, doesn't mean you can afford to KEEP it!
Obviously. I'm speaking relatively. Even for jet world, Citation X is high. Looking at $1800-$2000/hour. Once again, why they are so cheap on the secondary market. Not many people want to spend $20M+ on such a tight cabin gas guzzler

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wow I appreciate everyone who contributed to much info. I learned alot, really. It is clear that chartering is more wise in most situations.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I was just watching Citation videos earlier yesteday and ran across a video explaining that the new winglets that can be purchased for the X and that they can be installed for a whopping $600k!!!

IMO it would be worth it because damn.... haha

(my current background pic on my nexus)

(bigger version)
http://i.imgur.com/Jqtjo5O.jpg

Just imagine....
They are VERY nice for sure. But truth be told we only fly the X when it's a short LA - San Francisco/Vegas trip or maybe to Seattle every once in a while. But to NYC or Florida etc our money is on The Gulfstream G650. A lot more comfortable and less cramped for longer flights.

The CX is more like the sports car of the aviation world compared to a sedan that the G6 is, still nice and we do love them.

If you're ever curious about the costs of chartering a private jet from anywhere in the world from your mobile device you should check out the really cool booking app over at JetSmarter If you decide to download it, please use FASTLANE as your invite code. :)

It's pretty amusing to see some of the prices and can really provide perspective! :)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts