Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some recent discussion on what one considers "incredible performance" , I thought we could start a list for one million dollar cars that can top 250mph. Let's only consider cars that meet the following criteria:

1. Base price must round to no more than 1 million (so that's $1,249,000)
2. Car and power train must have a mfg warranty
3. At least two examples must have been delivered to customers
4. Must be street legal
5. Must cite at least one source that verified top speed

Here's two i can think of:

1. SSC Ultimate Aero/Ultimate Aero XT - Guinness World Record
2. Hennessey VenomGT - Guinness World Record

·
Registered
330 Posts
Does it have to be new? You can get a used Veyron for under $1 million. How about the Sledge Hammer Vet? I am not sure if there was more than one produced but I know one was for sale or sold recently???

·
Registered
8 Posts
A used Bugatti meets all your criteria.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Are those cars listed in your sig ones you currently or have owned? if so great stable. Also if you do own/have a veyron can you post some pics--would love to see it. Thanks
Ooooo it's Lego timeeeeee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was only one sledgehammer and it was a testbed. I got to see this car in person at Callaway in 1993. They had it in their (small) lobby. Very cool car. At that time, I was told the car had been sold to a German owner to fund new projects and it was on loan to Callaway. On a related note, they were also working on the LM Super Speedster at that time and had the run-flat poster car in the shop.

I'm in for the used Bugatti. Although for these purposes I'd like to see what's available new.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha how do I post a picture?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"BTW, pointless thread."

I thought maybe it wasn't pointless based on other threads where people think this kind of performance is not impressive and imply it can be had for much less money. I thought i must be missing something.

I'm a long time board reader and never felt the urge to post because of all the unrelated comments I've seen people make In threads I read. So I finally registered so I can post.

If it's a pointless post, don't reply in it and it will quickly die...

I guess there aren't many other cars meeting the criteria.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It's not as though the market for the car you've outlined is 'competitive'. Cars like the Veyron 16.4 and the SSC Ultimate Aero you identified are more design exercises than anything else; they're prohibitively expensive with performance so narrowly specific that there's really not much development toward creating new chassis or variants. Tuners can build up existing cars to their collective hearts' desire, but slapping a warranty on the windshield, meeting emissions standards, and a host of other things compose something entirely different, altogether. That's why manufacturer-supported tuning programs are special, and I personally haven't seen or heard of any cars along the lines of what you've mentioned rolling out their doors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts