Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to know your thoughts on the ingersoll IN2705WH Booneville
I know Its not in the same caliber as AP, Frank Muller, Rolex, or even Lumtec, Hamilton, or Tudor. But as a lower Budget watch that is more in my price range, it has really caught my eye and I really like the styling of it.
I am thinking It might be the next to add to my small collection, I am really looking for a more stand out piece, that isn't so fancy that I can't wear it in more casual attire.
but at the same time a watch that I can dress up if need be?
ill probably be getting 2 watches in the next year and the following one might be more along a starter hamilton or something along those lines.
ingersoll in2705wh booneville.JPG

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I've never heard of it, but that is a really cool looking watch for $500

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hate to be that guy, but.....

Not a fan of faking the funk. There's some fun factor there, but the precision in machining and assembly typically found in a skeleton watch isn't there for me- which is a deal breaker given that can be surmised simply by peering through the crystal. The joy of visible mechanics is found in admiring the craft, handiwork, artistry, and scale of each and every delicate, perfect component in the case. I see stamped and pressed sheet metal and some gratuitous flourishes.

I am not a watch elitist. My daily is either a nato-strapped Timex Weekender or Flyback Chrono. Cheap watches yes, but cheap watches that claim to be nothing more than such. Mid range watches are confident in their identity, and make commensurate statements. Your typical complication or similar knows what it is, and is designed in step with the level of craft and tech it boasts. I'm easily impressed and amused by good, affordable watches- but can't lend credence to those masquerading perhaps as a little more (or a lot more) than they are. Honesty is paramount.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@unitix
as investment, I did not mean it could be an heirloom, simply an investment in enjoyment, if that makes any sense?

@Nolan
hrm, good thoughts, truth is I havent put much thought into the inner mechanics, I have been Sort of blinded by its over all attraction.
something to look at, however, the watch in it self is unique is it not? I have never seen another watch that looked similar at least in my experience. and yes a skeleton watch Is made to see the work of art inside, made with such precise detailing and craftsmanship, however does this mean that people who cant afford the likes of such a watch should do with out?
I have looked at the finish of this watch (after reviewing the movement) the casing and dial, to me, look to be of good quality. the movement as you said is not of the same craftsmanship of elitist watches, and to me is maybe a bit crowded, however, at that price point it seems to be bang on.
would you disagree? or do you have any other recomendations for a skeleton at a similar price point? (I am not necessarily set on skeleton/ just for the fact that we are now discussing whether an affordable skeleton is possible, in terms of quality and craftsmanship)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want an heirloom, invest in a great watch now, from a brand that people 50 years from now will still recognize.
as I mentioned above, I'm not quite looking for an heirloom yet, I'm young, and I will own many watches in my lifetime, It is safe to say that one day I will be in a position to afford a watch with a much more significant hortological history.

as far as Lum-Tec, there is a part of me that always gravitates toward the name, however, I am almost ashamed to say that I can't justify the price for the watch, I am not saying they are not fantastic watches and not worth their value, I am just saying that I would generally be unsatisfied with the decision due to the style of their watches and its clashing with my tastes, this in itself devalues the watch for me.

again, this is not meant to be an insult, they are just not for me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
@Nolan
hrm, good thoughts, truth is I havent put much thought into the inner mechanics, I have been Sort of blinded by its over all attraction.
something to look at, however, the watch in it self is unique is it not?
Unique on the merit of its design or unique in that it cribs that of watches a thousand times its price? Aesthetically, I don't find it so. However it may be the most aspirational attempt at design given its caliber. And that is, well, unique.

murday said:
I have never seen another watch that looked similar at least in my experience. and yes a skeleton watch Is made to see the work of art inside, made with such precise detailing and craftsmanship, however does this mean that people who cant afford the likes of such a watch should do with out?
I don't have the luxury of judgement, but since you're asking, I would answer yes- they should. As before, I personally disagree with faking the funk. If you aspire to fine things and material accomplishments, then plan for success and adhere to the manifest. A Bentley grilled 300c or an F355'd Fiero are considered poor form, are they not? I find this analogous.

murday said:
I have looked at the finish of this watch (after reviewing the movement) the casing and dial, to me, look to be of good quality. the movement as you said is not of the same craftsmanship of elitist watches, and to me is maybe a bit crowded, however, at that price point it seems to be bang on.
would you disagree? or do you have any other recomendations for a skeleton at a similar price point? (I am not necessarily set on skeleton/ just for the fact that we are now discussing whether an affordable skeleton is possible, in terms of quality and craftsmanship)
There are two schools of thought here:

1. If you really like it, and it's within your means, then make yourself happy and purchase the watch. It's your cash to spend, your decision to make, and your value to judge.

2. If you really like it, then you'll love the authentic. Support authentic craftsman, reward their decades of horological expertise and accomplishment by keeping them in the black. Those artisans have rightful claim to those movements, designs, and methodologies. They have patents. They have lives invested. Support the art and perpetuate the craft by purchasing their goods and leave the reverse-engineering Chinese knockoff artists to their devices.

If number two isn't feasible, then my only recommendation would be that of setting your sights on a goal, and making it happen. This forum is full of entrepreneurs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be lying if I said I wasn't turned off about the ingersoll now.
however, I wouldn't compare it to the fiero, but more likely the ford mustang, still a beautiful car in its own right, but not near the caliber of ferrari or Mclaren.

at this time I am leaning more so towards a Hamilton, or the like. keeping my options open.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Mustang makes no attempt to appeal to those after exotica. It is an unashamed, simple, no nonsense car that is clear and confident in its purpose. No Ferrari styling queues, no masquerading as a six figure car. Its design doesn't belie its performance, it frames it.

If you're drawing comparisons between watches and automobiles, then consider the Mustang a G-Shock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as I mentioned earlier, while I appreciate their craftsmanship, there Just not my style, I don't feel like i would give it the appreciation it deserves.

Gently use M53 or M54 lumtec would be a good starter watch . ALSO Makara Sea Turtles are on preorder for $305 with shipping I ordered one in green GO GO

·
Registered
411 Posts
A watch for me, no..but that's the thing, it isn't for me. If you like the watch, and it's affordable than go for it, I didn't even read through all the posts but just breezed through a few and there is my answer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts