Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some horrible hard-water spots from the sprinklers in our complex. I searched a bit and found a thread dealing with spots on windows (vinegar etc), but nothing about paint (except for Denase WSR, which I can't find for sale.)

Any ideas short of paying one of you pro's to do it for me? :lol:

thanks!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I mix of 50% Water / 50% White Vinegar works well on paint as well as glass. The only thing is that it strips the wax, so you'll have to wax that area again immediately. If that doesn't work well enough, try a clay bar with a spay bottle of water or liquid detailer. That should get most of the spots off short of buffing it with a machine. Regardless of which method you do, you must wax it again immediately since you'll strip the wax off.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Resin in my CR Spotless ran out mid wash and damn hard water here in the desert covered my P-car with horrible spots. I immediately tried white vinegar...worthless.
After perusing some detailing forums, I bought this:

Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Smells like crap but it works. Ideal if there are isolated areas of spotting. If it's the whole car, then not worth the effort. Better to get it to a detailer (or polish yourself) to machine out the nasty white rings.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Vinegar didn't work? It worked well for me when I parked next to a sprinkler head at a hotel I was stay at overnight. Hmmm....I guess it's truly YMMV!
Water hardness here is about 560-580 ppm (that's VERY hard). Perhaps it would work on softer water, but it didn't work one little bit when I tried it.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas! Ive tried claybarring and it didnt work for me like it has before. We have ridiculously hard water here and I couldn't wipe it off numerous times prior to it drying. Finally was able to swap parking spots, but hopefully it didn't screw my paint to the point of needing a full-on detail...

·
Registered
889 Posts
A body shop can remove them ( or you if you can buff). I used to do this all the time, I would mask of the seals around the windows and buff the car with a rubbing compund. Then polished it all up. Worked like a charm. After that was done, a nice wash and some wax and voila!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Thanks for the ideas! Ive tried claybarring and it didn't work for me like it has before. We have ridiculously hard water here and I couldn't wipe it off numerous times prior to it drying. Finally was able to swap parking spots, but hopefully it didn't screw my paint to the point of needing a full-on detail...
I would get the full on detail. Water will not do that again if you do. Usually when I've got water marks it's because I didn't keep up with waxing. Now I get em' polished and use spray detail in between details after they are washed by me. My cars have never looked better.

For the longest time, I would pull a car out of the garage and hose the dust off. I used the stored water in the hose out of ignorance. I figured going a hundred or so would blow the water off. Never even knew about water spots at the time. Long story short... water spot hell. Acid baths and professional polishing took care of most of my damage. Put that car under T5's and you'll see the true extent of your damage.

Thankfully I've found a true detailer in my area. Actually I found him on here.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you do your own buffing, be very wary of rubbing compound. It's abrasive as hell and you may end up with some serious swirls. Start with the mildest polish you can get and work up from there. Meguiar's #205 is a good finishing polish that will usually take care of water spots unless they've been in place for a long time. As they said above, get some protection back on right away. Wax or sealant.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys...I'm going to hit it up again this weekend and see what I can get out. I dunno if I'll be doing any buffing, I'd probably screw it up even more and since Subaru's have such stellar paint to begin with.... :lol:

I'd love to get an actual detail, but its way down the list of priorities :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for the help guys...I'm going to hit it up again this weekend and see what I can get out. I dunno if I'll be doing any buffing, I'd probably screw it up even more and since Subaru's have such stellar paint to begin with.... :lol:

I'd love to get an actual detail, but its way down the list of priorities :eek:hwell:
The longer you wait, the more it's gonna cost to fix! I wish I had pictures of the black IS250 I spent 20 hours on a few weekends ago. The water spots from sprinklers (HARD HARD WATER) had set on the paint for about 8-10 months. When I finally got it, it took me 3 hours per door to get it out, and even then, you could still see etched in areas (but the calcium "white" was gone).

Mind you, I did not sand the car, this was all by machine polishing. In the sun, you couldn't see the spots until you got about 6 inches from the car, and knew where the terrible clusters were located. But looking at the car, there was nothing to be seen.

BTW, here's a crappy cell phone pic of the car.. so yes, I was actually working on one :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can try first clay the section if you have some and it has not been baked on there. They might come off. Or you can try a water spot remover, which is an acid based product(not scary at all) I use all the time and works very well. Or you can try to buff the marks out with some polish or a compound. If all else fails you can color sand it then buff. The water spot remover is the easiest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts