Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I"m looking for some leads on a nice 3-4 bedroom home in the Cupertino School district (Cupertino, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, San Jose). Can be anywhere in the district as we are looking to attend the charter school "Christa McAuliffe Elementary".

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here are a couple I found on Craigslist:

Remodeled Unit, Cupertino Schools, Cupertino Library
HOME FOR RENT CUPERTINO SCH

(I found these two in particular by adding the word "school" to the search text - they might not be relevant for your needs, though)

I've had to search for rental homes here in the South Bay a couple times since I moved back, and have always had the best luck finding them on Craigslist. I'd suggest going to the Apartments/Housing for Rent section at:

south bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Then clicking on the South Bay tab, limiting the neighborhood to Cupertino, putting min bedroom at 3+ (this will help keep the number of apartments down, if you're only interested in houses), put in your dollar amounts, and go from there.

For the listings that have an address, I'd bet there's a lookup tool somewhere for the school district that will show you what schools a particular address is served by (I don't have kids, so have never used them, but I bet they're out there).

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ Thanks LoneAspen. That's exactly what we have been doing with some success. Craigslist is a great resource.

I was hoping someone might know of something that is coming up on the market before it is posted or has a "Bro rate" on a home for rent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know of any other resources. I've used Craigslist exclusively in my searches.

I will share some advice I learned the hard way. When you wrote "home" I assume you mean single-family homes (or perhaps condos and townhomes also), but not apartments.

The first rental home I had in San Jose, I was there for a little over a year when Realtor "let me help you with your mortgage problems" postcards started showing up in the mailbox. Being a former real estate agent myself, I figured the owner's name showed up on a foreclosure mailing list and agents were now targetting him. Sure enough, I looked online at the Santa Clara recorder's web site and searched by the owner's name and found he was in default. I called the property manager, who didn't know, and they were led to believe the owner was trying to do a loan modification with the lender. A couple months go by, and I came home to a foreclosure notice on the door. The house subsequently went to foreclosure, but I ended up cancelling my lease before that and moved out and found another rental home.

Long story short...do be aware that homes, condos, and townhomes owned by independent parties are subject to the owner's whims about maybe selling the house, or going into default. Unlike apartment complexes, which tend to be stable and you can stay there as long as you want.

I would suggest the following when talking to owners or property managers about rental homes:

- Ask them if they are, or have been recently, in default? Then go look them up on the county recorder's web site and see (you might have to actually visit the county offices if all you have is a property address).

- Was the house up for sale recently and they couldn't sell it, and that's why they're renting? If so, could be an indicator they really want out of the property and could try selling it again when the lease is up, meaning you might only be there a year.

- Google the property address. This might turn up if it was for sale recently, or anything "bad" about it. Interesting story...when I lived in Colorado and looking for a house I found one that looked really cool and when I Googled the address, it turned out to be the home owned by that lady that set the big Hayman fire in Colorado a few years ago. Newspaper articles I found said after she was caught, they had to have cops patrol the neighborhood and that house because they had received credible threats from people affected by the fire who said they were going to burn down her house. I skipped on that house...didn't want the headache of buying something with a stigma attached to it.

- When talking over leases, if you're after a longer than one year lease, ask them if they'd consider signing a two-year lease. I found that most will not, but you never know.

Anyway, just stuff I've learned over the years in looking for properties. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ great advise, thanks. I will definitely do some background checking on the property before signing a lease because of your post.

Yes, our preference if for a single family home. We still have some time so we are being patient in our search.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about to pull the trigger on a place in Santa Clara. Thought I would bump this one more time to see I there was anything else others know of.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts