Votes: 10 45.5%
  • DSG

Votes: 12 54.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking into the new VW CC for a car in the near future. I went and drove one the other day (2.0T with 6MT) which I really liked but I'm torn between the manual and DSG.

Part of me says its too classy for a manual (no offense to anyone) and in MN the manual could be interesting in the winter.

So researching a lil I find that the 0-60 times on the two trannies
**DSG: 7.4
**6MT: 6.9

Anyone know why on this car the DSG is slower (not to mention slightly less fuel economy) where the GTI and the Jetta's its faster?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Not sure why DSG is slower, but it is strange given its performance advantage in other models. I briefly considered the CC, but the manual only came in the base trim. That was the deal breaker for me. I personally wouldn't consider a manual transmission car "less classy." If anything, it's a big draw for me to have a manual sedan that has all the luxuries. With that in mind, I have very limited choices. Good luck.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure why DSG is slower, but it is strange given its performance advantage in other models. I briefly considered the CC, but the manual only came in the base trim. That was the deal breaker for me. I personally wouldn't consider a manual transmission car "less classy." If anything, it's a big draw for me to have a manual sedan that has all the luxuries. With that in mind, I have very limited choices. Good luck.
Yeah "less classy" is poor wording but IMO its a big enough car so I'm just on the edge I guess.

Other factor is the gf and future wifey refuses to learn a manny :laugh:
so I would either end up leavin the car at the bar or always take a cab out. Lol.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump again. I know someone out there knows why this is. And keep the votes comin!

·
Registered
18 Posts
DSG7 with paddles behind the steering wheel!

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you're going by the numbers on vw's site, I think that 6.9 might be borrowed from the specs for the gti or the gli.
I'm seeing 7.6/7.7 for the manual from other sources.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're going by the numbers on vw's site, I think that 6.9 might be borrowed from the specs for the gti or the gli.
I'm seeing 7.6/7.7 for the manual from other sources.
Yeah thats what I'm going off of and I was reading a C&D test on the R Line (only offered with DSG) and that had 6.4 0-60

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It is all personal preference and what you plan to do with the car.

I have owned 2 DSG equipped cars in the past year. One was an 08 Audi A3, and we now have a 2010 VW GTI.

Let me first say, if they were my personal cars, they would be manuals simply because I love driving a maual trans equipped car. However, these cars are my wife's daily drivers, and she cannot drive a manual trans.

That said, I have come to enjoy with the DSG gearbox. The DSG is a great compromise for a daily driver. It can perform like a maual when you want it to and can perform like a traditional auto when you want it to. Also, the technology factor is a big plus for my inner nerd.

Despite the posts above, I can tell you that DSG is WAY faster than an average driver with a manual... especially with launch control.

FYI: The 2010 DSG is far superior to the 2008 DSG. Our Audi would surge, and buck a low speeds, and 2-1 shifts were clunky (even after the mechatronic recall). The GTI is silky smooth EVERYWHERE. I honestly love the DSG in our GTI. I probably would NOT buy an older DSG car after my experience.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm like you, TJ. I love the connected feel of a manual transmission, but can appreciate the technology behind dual clutch transmissions. I've considered both the 4 door GTI and the A3 in both transmissions. Which one do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm like you, TJ. I love the connected feel of a manual transmission, but can appreciate the technology behind dual clutch transmissions. I've considered both the 4 door GTI and the A3 in both transmissions. Which one do you prefer?
Believe it or not, the new GTI (6th gen) is light years ahead of the current A3. Certainly there are things you would expect from the GTI--sportier interior, cheaper price when comparably optioned, etc.

But there are some major suprises too. The GTI has a higher quality feel to the interior. The GTI is roomier. The GTI's buttons and switch gear have a better tactile feel. The GTI's ride is nicer, but it still handles as well if not better than the A3. The GTI's cabin is MUCH quieter... even with the 18" bridgestones vs. 17" michelins on our Audi.

There is literally NOTHING the A3 does that the GTI does not do better with the single exception of the dual sunroofs (which I dont care about at all, but my wife noticed).

I think alot of that has to do with the A3 being basically unchanged (minus the 2009 facelift) since 2004 while the GTI was totally redone in 2010.

Even if the money were the same, I would take the GTI 10 times out of 10... and the Audi actually costs more!!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, TJ! I have an aging Passat (2001.5) that I wouldn't mind trading for a 2011 GTI 4-Door or CC.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I would go with the DSG... it has the wow factor and it isn't that bad. it makes you feel like a racecar driver... my only complaints were that it was a little sloppy on starts and stops until it realized you were on the throttle hard...

The GTI is a dream too... i hated mine until it was gone, and after two weeks of searching i have not found a better car than the GTI as far as a driver's car... tons of fun, and easy to sling around. its like a dominatrix, it loves abuse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts