Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
^^^I think you are failing to see all Rutans acomplishments before Branson even came into the picture (and the list is huge - you should look it up). Branson signed on in 2008, 4 years after Rutan designed, built, and successfully won the X-prize with spaceship one in 2004. This project was partially funded by Paul Allen. So who is the common denominator? Burt Rutan and scaled composites. Branson saw a promising project and jumped on board, just as he did in F1 - After Ross Brawn resurrected the Honda team and began showing pace in preseason testing. The car was designed, built, and all windtunnel development etc was done pre-branson cash. Obviously Branson is a sharp businessman, but the projects he aligns himself with were already in progress, by people who brought new ideas and technology into reality before he entered the picture.
This. So much this. Challenge it and I are almost always on the same page with this stuff.

Money can advance and refine and more importantly sustain technological breakthroughs, however people who we dub "genius" are the true origins of those breakthroughs, and a lot of them do it before the big players get involved.

And for the record, looking good does count. ;)

·
Sponsor
10,268 Posts
This. So much this. Challenge it and I are almost always on the same page with this stuff.

Money can advance and refine and more importantly sustain technological breakthroughs, however people who we dub "genius" are the true origins of those breakthroughs, and a lot of them do it before the big players get involved.

And for the record, looking good does count. ;)
Great minds have a similar perspective D-VO. :wink:

When I saw that this thread was going nowhere, I gave up my responses, and without mentioning that my brother worked as software engineer at NASA Aimes Research Center right here in Mountain View (Silicon Valley). Inovation comes from the common man. Funding can come from the government or and individual. The "space race", Putting a man on the moon, supersonic flight, SR71, on and on and on, were all achieved without Richard Branson. These technological breakthroughs were achieved by very smart scientists and engineers funded by the federal government.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
you are just going round and round with the same argument (the same one that you responded to after saying it is going nowhere)

but that aside...

is this the first time that for space travel? nope
is this the first time for space travel seen as a good business venture? yup..

likewise thinking and great minds....now....thats a different story.

im just going to agree to disagree with you gentlemen and bow out of this argument...have a nice one.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
so what are we talking for this? 200k? Anyone on here actually considering something like this?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Eww who would want to go to space in that???? oh wait..i would hahaha :D

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Hell of a lot better deal than that Russian group for 10 million into space.

Can't wait till the next stages of this venture - hotels in space, exploration, who knows, maybe even the moon.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts