Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

KAR performance in Bahrain decided to bring along their VenomGT to yesterday's open track day for a quick run. Here is a video I took of it hitting 300+kph on the long straight.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm curious how this car with only 3 examples to date and sold as a lotus was able to qualify as a production car according to guinness? Anyone know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can recall 7 examples being built so far. Rumored another couple built but, not shown publicly. That could be just a rumor though.

The "technical loophole" must be the same one used by Tesla, Opel, Vauxhaul, PG Elektrus, Bitter and Melkus. All used the same platform from Lotus to base their own cars on.

Lotus even covers the fact they offer this platform to other manufacturers to build their own cars (other than Lotus)

This is taken right from the lotus official website

"SMALL CAR (ELISE) PLATFORM
The Lotus small car platform is a lightweight, modular aluminium chassis, which can be use as the basis for client vehicles. As well as for Lotus's own products, the small car platform has been used on the Opel Speedster (VX220) and Tesla Roadster.

This platform provides a low investment, quick to market route for low volume exciting niche vehicles, perfectly suited where handling and driver interaction are primary goals.

"

I guess I just don't get the negative comments. A little research answers any question about it being a Hennessey or a Lotus as well as the number of customer cars out in the public eye.

To me, it's an incredible performance machine.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
To me, it's an incredible performance machine.
I think it's very far from being "incredible performance machine" at the end of the day it's just a lotus with more HP and with the price tag over a million bucks!!! Yeah I think I'll take a Bugatti Veyron or Laferrari or mclaren P1 over this thing any day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the sake of discussion, take away the price and name and consider its actual performance. I guess I'm wondering where it lacks in performance? I haven't driven any of these cars, so I can only go by road tests I've read and reviews and it seems to me the performance is equal to or better compared to anything else outside of one-off tuner cars that lack the warranty.

I remember when people complained the Veyron was a million dollar Volkswagen.

Personally, I couldn't make up my mind between the Veyron, P1, laferrari or VenomGT. But, if I'm being perfectly honest, the P1 best fits what I want in a Supercar. I also think the four cars mentioned (Veyron, P1, laferrari and VenomGT) would each be purchased to fit a specific need if we are talking use and not one-upmanship such as "look, I bought a one , two or three million dollar car"

In the end, I can appreciate all of these cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think I'll take a Bugatti Veyron or Laferrari or mclaren P1 over this thing any day!
Owner has all 3. P1 arrived today, LaFerrari next June and the Veyron has been there for a while :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My beef with the Venom is factory GM block and cheap heads. I mean, for $1M bucks I'd AT LEAST expect an GMPP LSX block, billet crank, billet rods, All Pro heads, and some -AN and hardline BOV/Wastegate lines.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yea I think the main complaint (mine included) is that overall it really isn't much different from a lotus. All they did was stretch it, throw a huge engine with some turbos on it, and give it a different name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Starting with the bare aluminum tub, they created their own completely new front and rear structures, suspension, brakes, power train and body work refined by Delta Motorsport for improved aerodynamics. The GM block has been revised for added strength and has completely custom internals.

Not exactly the same as dropping a stock GM V8 into a Lotus in your garage.

In my opinion, Its a great looking car, by all accounts of people that have actually driven it, it is an incredible performance machine. All the examples tested have demonstrated repeatable performance and it has a warranty.

I'd like to enjoy reading more about the VenomGt but, it seems every time there is a post about it, someone jumps in complaining about it being a million dollar lotus but, readily accept a RUF mirageGT or, Callaway Super Speedster without question. Or, have no problems with the Tesla Roadster or even the Opel or Vauxhall variants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My beef with the Venom is factory GM block and cheap heads. I mean, for $1M bucks I'd AT LEAST expect an GMPP LSX block, billet crank, billet rods, All Pro heads, and some -AN and hardline BOV/Wastegate lines.
Which heads are used on the VenomGT? I don't think I've ever come across this being specified anywhere so, I'm curious.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Starting with the bare aluminum tub, they created their own completely new front and rear structures, suspension, brakes, power train and body work refined by Delta Motorsport for improved aerodynamics. The GM block has been revised for added strength and has completely custom internals.

Not exactly the same as dropping a stock GM V8 into a Lotus in your garage.

In my opinion, Its a great looking car, by all accounts of people that have actually driven it, it is an incredible performance machine. All the examples tested have demonstrated repeatable performance and it has a warranty.

I'd like to enjoy reading more about the VenomGt but, it seems every time there is a post about it, someone jumps in complaining about it being a million dollar lotus but, readily accept a RUF mirageGT or, Callaway Super Speedster without question. Or, have no problems with the Tesla Roadster or even the Opel or Vauxhall variants.
AFAIK the Venom is registered as a Lotus, therefore, it's a tuned Lotus. RUF cars are considered a unique manufacturer by the Germans, and the Tesla is registered as a Tesla. I can't speak to the MirageGT or Callaway cars. As for Opel or Vauxhall, they're the same thing in different locations. Vauxhall in the UK and Opel elsewhere. Badge engineering at its finest.
From Hennessey's own website: "Note: The Hennessey Venom GT design is based on the Lotus Elise / Exige. The Venom GT is created from a base Lotus Elise / Exige and utilizes components including but not limited to the roof, doors, side glass, windscreen, dash, cockpit, floorpan, HVAC system, wiper and head lamps. Hennessey Performance and the Venom GT are not associated with Lotus Cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts