Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I have been back and forth over this. I have a 2011 XKR now and am about to switch to a 6spd toy. Just a bit about me I've had 3 NSX's, Lotus Elise, Viper, Z06, tons of Porsche's and M cars. I have determined that if I get the R8/Lambo platform it must be the LP-560 platform (or R8 V10) and not the first gen Gallardo which to me drives like a pig.

That said:
14' R8 can be had for $150k
14' LP-560 $190k (big difference for the same car!)
10' LP-560 $160k
11 R8 for $115k (best bang for buck)
11' V12V for $140k

Did any of you V12V owners consider Gallardo and R8? How did you make the choice and what are your thoughts in retrospect?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I actually like the feel of my first gen G compared to lp. Tried the r8 and it was just alright, didn't have any emotion when driving it. The V12V is better than both imo. I'm possibly getting rid of the G next year and going with mclaren.

If you want bang for the buck go with the r8, but the v12v is the best of the 3.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that is a big statement. You feel the V12V is "better" than an LP-560? In what way? Fun to drive, sound, speed, looks, build quality etc.

I must say I really value your opinion since you own both - albeit a 1st Gen G. Speaking of 1st gen G the reason I said it felt like a pig is because the steering and throttle response was slower than LP and it just didn't feel all that fast. Course I'm coming from a 510 hp supercharged 8!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well it's totally different.. You won't get the attention in the AM that you get in the lambo. You won't hear the high pitch sound of the exhaust that you get in the lp. But the drive is much better and the interior is also. I find the v12 just as fun to drive slow or fast and you are actually comfy while driving(I hate the lambo seats).

If you are buying to get attention or race, the lp is the best pick
everything else V12V

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... Since I currently have an XKR and am wanting change I am thinking a mid engined exotic will be more of a departure than a GT with a 6spd - albeit an awesome one.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you want a change from a GT car then go with the lp. Looks like you already had your mind set on the lambo;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I wish I had my mind set on SOMETHING. I was all over the V12V for a minute. Then I started thinking R8 and LP. Love them all. I'm deep in house renovation and should be done in a couple months. I suspect whatever is floating my boat at that point will be the move!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a V12V and an R8, and if I could only keep one it would definitely be the R8. Call me crazy, but the car is just more fun than I even know what to do with! The two cars are very different... the R8 has a high revving, screaming engine whereas the V12V is a more "lazy" (if you want to call it that) engine. The best word I would use to describe the AM is quirky: strange controls, questionable button placements, etc. It's quintessentially British though, and it has looks (and an engine note) that could kill. People often come up to to me to tell me how much they love the AM, and how cool it would be to own and drive, but in my own personal opinion, the car honestly doesn't live up to it's own hype. I love the engine but it's just WAY too much for the chassis to handle (which is obvious since it's a vantage chassis) but I'm just not crazy over constantly battling with traction control to put the power to the ground and the nose heavy feeling of the car. Additionally, it feels somewhat confined and dark in the cabin (although outward visibility is great) and I don't feel nearly as confident throwing it into corners as I do in the R8. In conclusion, the AM is a great car to look at and the idea of a V12V is really cool (it's by far the coolest car I own in my own mind), but the well balanced, revvy R8 with the 6spd gated shifter is the winner for me.

Sorry I cannot comment on the G though, I've never driven one so i'm not much help in that regard.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What is your purpose for the vehicle?
I have a V12VS. For an all-around car - to daily, canyon carve, photo shoot, grocery getter, date with wife, listen to exhaust symphony...it is the best of my fleet. I have the 16M for spirited drives and for adrenaline rushes - figure the LP would be similar in use. Have you considered a Scud? I'd say much more of a driver's car than all else mentioned.
The R8 would be close in purpose to the V12VS - comfortable and can be used as a daily. The R8 may do better at the track, but the Aston wins leagues ahead in sleek elegance (of course subjective). The only area the LP would win is just flat out attention.

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
26 Posts
The R8 provides a great combination of great handling and comfort. It doesn't really feel like anything special when you're inside it. It just feels like another Audi. However, driving it is a whole different story. It's comfortable, yet very sporty. I prefer it over the V12V because I like the sportier feel vs the GT feel and I prefer it over the LP because it's less of a pain to drive around town.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts