Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can you please educate me on U-Boat watches, U1001 limited edition in particular.
Is this company high end or do they make fashion watches? Should i be worried about fakes of those watches?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Always thought the carbon flight deck was a good starter watch. I think they are on the same level as TaG. Beyond a kids watch but entry level luxury

Reactions: SCG

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
They have a great story behind the brand and the watch designs were unique when they first hit the market but I just don't understand the watches purpose. You would think they would have been designed to be great dive watches but they are not meant for diving and frankly im not sure I would wear mine even in a pool. My take is find one on the second hand market see if you like it and go from there but they are not worth there retail asking prices imo. After all that being said I still love the brand and the 6471 is on my list of pickups but its going to have to be a steal.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it tickles your fancy to overpay for a poorly-finished piece with an ETA movement, go for it. Before this turns into the age-old debate of, "Who cares what movement, blah blah?," most collectors (i.e. people who can afford to purchase the piece if you decide to sell) don't care for them either. Just check WUS. Also and unfortunately, there are plenty of replica pieces out there, as with any brand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok for a daily, as already discussed they look like a "divers watch" but I wouldn't chance it.
Careful of the fakes (or just buy one if you don't care) , I had a cop friend pay to get it certified that it WASN'T original, certificate worth more than the watch.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Ok for a daily, as already discussed they look like a "divers watch" but I wouldn't chance it.
Careful of the fakes (or just buy one if you don't care) , I had a cop friend pay to get it certified that it WASN'T original, certificate worth more than the watch.
I'm not sure I'd trust a cop to certify a watch here, I'd either go to and AD or mail it in if I were really worried. That being said, I had a welder for a little while (an authentic one) but the fit and finish wasn't anything to write home about. And my very similar Bull45 has been much more durable. They aren't bad watches if you want one, just don't expect it to be a PAM.

·
Registered
604 Posts
^ LOL. Seriously, if you want it, buy it. Just know what you're buying and don't over pay. I did chuckle when I saw someone comparing them to Tags... i wouldn't have placed them in the same category. That's what makes this forum great, we all have our opinions.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
^ LOL. Seriously, if you want it, buy it. Just know what you're buying and don't over pay. I did chuckle when I saw someone comparing them to Tags... i wouldn't have placed them in the same category. That's what makes this forum great, we all have our opinions.
Is it funny because you think tag is total garbage or you actually think they are a true luxury brand

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not sure I'd trust a cop to certify a watch here, I'd either go to and AD or mail it in if I were really worried. That being said, I had a welder for a little while (an authentic one) but the fit and finish wasn't anything to write home about. And my very similar Bull45 has been much more durable. They aren't bad watches if you want one, just don't expect it to be a PAM.
No sorry that wasn't clear: I had a cop friend going to confiscate the watch as part of an "asset of crime". Not being into watches, thought it was worth thousands (even though the crook said it was a replica) so they paid a certified watchsmith / jeweler ??? to certify it. They then realised that they spent more on the certification than the watch was actually worth!!!
Still it was a nice looking watch.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is it funny because you think tag is total garbage or you actually think they are a true luxury brand
I don't know much about either, but i've always assumed that TAGs were more highly regarded than U-Boats. I'm not claiming a preference to either as, like I said, I don't know. But from what I've gathered, TAGs do have a larger following and many consider them Luxury pieces even if they're entry level.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've had 5 of them and now given them away to family (nephews) members. Never had a problem with them and liked them until i purchased my first Panerai. I was always wearing the Panerai and never wore the U Boats. Since then purchased 6 Panerais, AP's and a Rolex and U Boats just sat. So, wanted someone else to enjoy them.

If you're thinking about a Panerai or Rolex don't settle for the U Boat, wait, save a little more then get what you really want.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Man, not a love for U-Boat here. I love my U-Boat. Easy to read. Never any issues. Just works and works. Its taking some HUGE HARD hits and it never misses a second. Yes you can find them new for 20%-30% off MSRP at the right dealer, or find them used for a lot less. However be very careful of fakes.

edit:
Also wondering why anyone would say they would not take it in a pool. The watch is perfect in the water and the 1001 that the OP talked about means exactly that.... 1001 meters... Its meant to dive in!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
First off, there will never be a U-Boat that will compare to a TAG. Its horological presence is with the best of them. Sports, Olympics, F1, and with such with a horological history - they date back to 1860. Ya, U-Boat can say...none of that...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The 1001 has no lume you would struggle reading the time at 20ft below let alone 3000ft deep and also no uni directional bezel or depth rating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts