Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to South Bay Land Rover yesterday to test drive a RR Sport SE. The salesman refused to let me drive it because according to him, they don't get many in and if they let anyone test drive, their trucks would have over 200 miles on them.

Is this a normal occurrence? I selected this dealer because according to cars.com they have over 20 RR Sports in stock so I would have never thought they didn't allow test drives.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There are plenty of high-end dealers that don't allow test drives. There has to be a certain level of filter; otherwise, Joe Blow 1/2/3/etc. would rack up miles. My credit has been checked for a GT-R test drive. I don't consider a GT-R high-end, but it's 100% understandable.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There are plenty of high-end dealers that don't allow test drives. There has to be a certain level of filter; otherwise, Joe Blow 1/2/3/etc. would rack up miles. My credit has been checked for a GT-R test drive. I don't consider a GT-R high-end, but it's 100% understandable.
Agreed, If I was going to a high end car dealership and they asked to check my credit before a test drive I'd have no problem with it. Imagine being the GM/owner of that dealership, how would you feel if you had to give everyone who came in a test drive? That would make the cars value go down drastically.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Typically they won't turn you down if you arrive in a car worth equal to, or more than what you are trying to test drive. I think that's ridiculous, but it is what it is I suppose.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
a credit check is not unreasonable a request to be considered for a test drive. a lot of dealerships dealing in higher end vehicles will request the same....no matter where you go. unless you know someone at a dealership, this is a pretty standard practice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Down here in OZ...I jumped on a Land Rover / Range Rover Experience day!!

Advertised on FB, no charge, no credit check and you could drive the LR / RR of your choice. Awesome day and the through in a hat & a keyring!!!!
They must have the a similar program over there!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wait, so they did or didn't ask to check your credit? I initially thought the guy just said no and didn't even make an effort to earn your business and check your credit, etc. And I was going to say don't give them your business that's for damn sure. But after reading your next post, It sounds like they did ask but you told them no.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wait, so they did or didn't ask to check your credit? I initially thought the guy just said no and didn't even make an effort to earn your business and check your credit, etc. And I was going to say don't give them your business that's for damn sure. But after reading your next post, It sounds like they did ask but you told them no.
I think he refused.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I'm sorry but any dealership worth a sh*t should be able to use reasonable judgement to allow test drives. Only time I had to give anything other than my drivers license to take a spin was at the Ferrari dealer. I'd say go elsewhere

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sorry but any dealership worth a sh*t should be able to use reasonable judgement to allow test drives. Only time I had to give anything other than my drivers license to take a spin was at the Ferrari dealer. I'd say go elsewhere
My thoughts exactly.

Another weird thing he said...

He asked where I lived because if I lived closer to another RR dealer, they would not take my business because they only sell to locals.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts