Discussion Starter #1
Experiences? Stories?

Where did you go? For how long?

Would you do it again?

Sorry if this is a repost.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I know someone that backpacked europe by himself. Loved it so much he backpacked asia by himself a couple years later.

I dont remember how long he went for but it was around a month I believe each time.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I haven't done it but I intend to. I've talked with some others that have gone by themselves and they say its far superior to traveling with someone. It forces you to really interact with other people, be more outgoing, make relationships, and the overall experience is far superior than staying in your little bubble of normalcy with a "safe person" you already know.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
one of my brothers did it in asia...loved it but also said how he almost got caught up in some very very hairy situations...they dont play around...value of live vs. money is very very little over there.

I didnt do it alone but I backpacked parts of greece, italy and germany with my wife....stories that are way to crazy too post.

I wouldnt do it alone...you just never know when you got your guard down. It also really depends on where you are going and how culturally aware you are.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I traveled a lot for work by myself. It was both fun, but sometimes you just wish some one else was there. I did that for 4 years on and off. I would come home maybe 2-4 days a month. I mean i know its not really the same kind of travel, but i was very far from home. Now i just pay for friends to tag along. It is a lot more fun. well for me at least

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would like to go on Holiday by myself chill out,

Spent 2 days in portugal by myself in a massive villa, was out with my mum and she got called away to vienna to sort out a contract and I was left alone (was 18 ) was pretty good just a bit lonely in a 6 bed villa

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
I have done it. Went to LA for 4 days --- then to Tokyo for 8 days --- back to LA for 3 days and home. Was one of the best experiences of my life.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I do it all the time! Its a great experience for several reasons:
you do things at YOUR pace, you can take your time at one place- and breeze through other
I believe you are more likely to get into the local areas more and try local foods- meet people
You meet others (I took a trip to mexico last year and was invited to 2 weddings while there)
It gets you out of your comfort zone, you learn a lot about yourself on trips like that

I have been to Rome, Hong Kong, Phi Phi Island Thailand, France, England, and Mexico by myself!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
visited tokyo for a week by myself and like msrt8:nik mentioned, you learn a lot about yourself. i learned i'm more of a chicken talking to strangers than i thought :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Traveling alone is priceless.
There's no concern about leisure/taste differences in dining, entertainment and lodging.
It's cheaper. Enough said.
Less to worry about. If your spouse, friend, relative or whoever your travelling with gets sick, lost etc, it's a pain in the neck.
More flexibility. Do what you want, when you want.
Lastly, Privacy. If you like to do anything wild, crazy or border line well..;) no one's watching you.
Places to visit. That's tough. I'd suggest Prague-Czech Republic, Dubai-UAE Johannesburg-South Africa, Mumbai-India, Amsterdam-Netherlands, Cancun-Mexico and Flourence-Italy.
Oh, and ofcourse, Las Vegas. ;) can't forget that.
Those are some of the places i've visited in the past and have had great experiences.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Used to travel for work alone for up to 3 weeks from small towns of 200 people to cities of a 4.5million.
Small towns were far friendlier you could feel more alone in a big city than sitting in a country pub talking to the locals.
One experience I remember was having dinner in Sydney Australia this guy was telling me how he was a conservationst and they were protesting at Port Hinchinbrook. They stopped a landrover and said help us they are cutting down all the trees and the driver said mate there are 2 types of trees dead and potentially dead.
I got on a plane to fly the 2200km home and this guy next to me tells me how he was driving his landrover and these conservationist protestors stopped him and said help us they are cutting down all the trees.

What a small world it is

1 - 12 of 12 Posts