Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Toyota is making big waves at day one of the 2014 North American International Auto Show. The Japanese company chose Motown as the global stage to unveil its latest concept car, called the FT-1… and what a vehicle it is!

The FT part of its name stands for “Future Toyota” while the No. 1 suggests it’s the ultimate. I mean, who wants to be number two… or the square root of negative 12? Not this guy, let me tell you…

This is an aggressive, track-focused sports car. It’s got a front engine and rear-wheel drive, but more on the powertrain in a minute. This car supposedly indicates the company’s future styling direction. In fact they call it the “spiritual pace car for Toyota Global Design,” which sounds like a really big deal.

FT-1 is the result of nearly two years of work by the company’s Calty design center. It draws on the company’s sporting heritage, cars like the Celica, Supra, MR2 and of course the contemporary Scion FR-S. The press release calls it a unique fusion of both emotional and rational factors. Toyota’s got rational down pat with things like longevity and fuel economy; emotion’s been a little harder for them to figure out.

Outside, this car’s body features a retractable rear wing along with a host of other aerodynamic features including ducts and vents that manage airflow at racetrack speeds. Moving inside, it’s got a sporty, low-slung cockpit with a driver-focused layout. Designers also took steps to reduce weight with things like a carbon-fiber seat.

Now, let’s talk about what you’re all salivating for, technical details, but let me warn you, you ain’t going to like it. You see, there is practically ZERO powertrain news to share at this time. All the company’s said is that it features a high-tech internal-combustion engine, but that’s it. Still, this is actually good news; we don’t want no stinkin’ electric!

The powertrain is housed under a transparent hood while an ambiguous engine cover leaves much to the viewer’s imagination. And you’re going to have to give your mind’s eye a real workout because we have no idea if the Toyota FT-1 will ever go into production.
See more Toyota FT-1 Concept photo at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
They will probably clean this up for production, if it see's it. Currently I think it's ugly.

I wish it looked like this:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Design is pretty okay. Don't like the front. But could work. I hope more for an equally epic powertrain like the 2jz had. Single turbo inline six, 6(7?) speed manual gearbox with clutch and so on :) And a price range around 45-55k USD.

·
1,597 Posts
It kinda has a TVR look to it as well. I like it - but not sold on it. Big fan of Toyota/Lexus BTW.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Really good! Definitely interested to know what will be the final design and specs if this goes (and I have a slight feeling it will) go into production.

·
Premium Member
21,656 Posts
Still not real sure how I feel about it at this point.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm pretty sure something like this will go into production. Toyota has been pushing to go back to their roots lately. They brought out the FR-S and now they want to bring out the next Supra. I like where Toyota is going with their brands right now. I'm hoping Scion gets dropped and merged back into Toyota. With the Lexus RC F coupe coming out soon, I think it would be possible for it to share a chassis with a production version of the FT-1.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like it. Now that you guys said it, I see a little Sagaris in there, and a bit of a vague Ferrari tail out back (not the lights).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts