Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In four days on Sunday the 21th of November 2010 Top Gear USA kicks off with their first episode. The show will be hosted by Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust and Rutledge Wood and airs at the History channel. In an effort to promote the show a range of yellow supercars with Top Gear livery has been used as taxi during SEMA in Las Vegas.

Read more & see 2 preview video's!

·
Registered
294 Posts
sad but happy at the same time. what makes the Original TopGear so special is their british humor. Americans don't have that charisma.

·
Registered
280 Posts
and the fact that it appeared to both sexes....
the second vid, they plead the male mind will love the show. TG UK has done an outstanding job attracting both a female and male audience

·
Registered
569 Posts
and the fact that it appeared to both sexes....
the second vid, they plead the male mind will love the show. TG UK has done an outstanding job attracting both a female and male audience
My wife loves watching Top Gear as well, it's the first car-related thing that I've seen her truly want to do or watch. Their dialogue and banter make it a funny show to watch in addition to the cars.

One thing to keep in mind with the new show - of course they aren't going to have that same charisma that the UK trio have right off the bat, and it'll probably be a bit akward for a bit. But go back and watch the first couple seasons of Top Gear (way back when) and judge them also. They were definitely akward to watch and it took several seasons to develop that dialogue and interaction they have now.

I'll give it a few seasons for them to get acquainted with working together before it can be compared to the UK version.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My wife loves watching Top Gear as well, it's the first car-related thing that I've seen her truly want to do or watch. Their dialogue and banter make it a funny show to watch in addition to the cars.

One thing to keep in mind with the new show - of course they aren't going to have that same charisma that the UK trio have right off the bat, and it'll probably be a bit akward for a bit. But go back and watch the first couple seasons of Top Gear (way back when) and judge them also. They were definitely akward to watch and it took several seasons to develop that dialogue and interaction they have now.

I'll give it a few seasons for them to get acquainted with working together before it can be compared to the UK version.
you have a good point, gotta give them some time.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Could they not have paid for a professional voice over? Tanner sounds like a woman.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Camera work when they were doing the viper vs the cobra was extremely shakey felt like i was watching another colverfield movie again, They need to work on the camera set ups. Plus i think they spent too much time and money only on the lamborghini special in this case, but even then the camera set ups within the car ruined it for me

·
Registered
218 Posts
It looks like it was a test episode that didn't work and instead of trash it they decide to run.
I really wanted to work but... was kind of sad. Plus with the name Top Gear you will always compare to the original... so it is already a heavy load before it starts.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ghost is right on. The camerawork needs a major upgrade. The shakiness during the viper segment was almost enough to cause seizures. Here are my big issues.

a) The writing. Atrocious
b) The previously mentioned camerawork. Learn to stabilize gentlemen.
c) The HOSTS! Rutledge is the bastard child of a ******* and hipster with absolutely no presence. He barely seems able to read and or comprehend the lines fed to him. Tanner is a great driver, no question. But his voice is absolutely agitating. I mean, I would almost rather stick icepicks coated with sulfuric acid into my ears than listen to him. And the last guy, well he definitely won the casting lottery and you can tell he's just happy to be there. Hopefully he'll make enough money from the series to get that mole removed from his cheek. Or maybe the producers should just cast the mole. It has more of a personality.

But, all said, I'll keep watching because of the real stars witch are the cars. Hopefully it will get better. I do dig the track they set up for the Stig.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
i thought it was "not bad" but do hope they pick it up a bit and quick!!

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Tanner try's to sounds mature and in depth but just comes off as whine, whine whine!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I watched it, and the cars are surely the stars. The hosts could have been three chimps and that would have been better, Tanner's whining, Rutledge will complain about sports cars not fitting him, and the walk on dude is just comic relief. These guys don't exude the same passion for cars as the BBC version of the show. Plus when US television hijacks a foreign show it is going to more than likely be axed after the first season. Maybe they can see the mistakes after watching the show for themselves and clean their sh!t up...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It was an ok episode but they never complained about any of the cars. Clarkson has some complaints regardless of the car. It also seemed like they were forcing dialog and foust's analogy of the Balboni, "just likes pavlov's dogs or the sound of a ringing bell. Like the clapping noise sushi chefs make that salivates Japanese people." He had no idea what he should have said there.

·
L4P Automotive Correspondent
4,100 Posts
a) The writing. Atrocious
b) The previously mentioned camerawork. Learn to stabilize gentlemen.
c) The HOSTS! Rutledge is the bastard child of a ******* and hipster with absolutely no presence. He barely seems able to read and or comprehend the lines fed to him. Tanner is a great driver, no question. But his voice is absolutely agitating. I mean, I would almost rather stick icepicks coated with sulfuric acid into my ears than listen to him. And the last guy, well he definitely won the casting lottery and you can tell he's just happy to be there. Hopefully he'll make enough money from the series to get that mole removed from his cheek. Or maybe the producers should just cast the mole. It has more of a personality.
+1, I wish they had a better cast

1 - 20 of 22 Posts