Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still is a let down....cancelling my subscription on tivo for the series its seriously pathetic. No emotion, feels like im watching youtube videos of car and driver and that stuff is sometimes more entertaining as this. There is no chemistry between the hosts. The challenges have been done already and have been done much better by other series. I would rather watch Top Gear russia than this. Top Gear Australia is actually very good and very funny. Sure this series may be more factual, but the show is terrible. It is extremely scripted, things which would have been very funny feel like they were scripted from the very beginning. I feel like this series was just done so us Americans can just say oh we have a Top Gear.

PS
and from this i believe i will get many well let's just say people who will passionately disagree with me, but just voicing my opinion here.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
i guess I don't regret missing it again!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i agree with ghost, TG America is a failure IMO.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well this show was consisted of Top Gear Uk’s Skiers challenge copy, Astons driving in a dessert Dominic Monahan beats a 80 year olds track record and a blind man is better than Adam and Rutledge at drifting. At the end it is ironic when the dog pisses all over the top gear carpet.

Top Gear America Episode 2 Auto Debut

·
Registered
979 Posts
At least this episode was better than last weeks episode. The US version will get better as the guys get to know each others style.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i believe it just will not work, due to American censors on television so they will never be able to say things that other series can, but even then there was no emotion from the hosts feels like im sitting in a lecture from one of my teachers...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Do you seriously think that the chemistry between the hosts will just automatically be there after one episode? Anyone who expects it to be as good as UK after 8 years in its current configuration needs to turn in their MTV, instant gratification, no attention span having card and go back to playing Pokemon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Watching it now, just finished the downhill ski / Mitsubishi Evo part. Not a bit, done before of course, but Tanner seemed a bit more in his element and came off somewhat more casual this time.
He's still talking like his goal is to tell us about the features in a commercial sort of way, rather than talk about what he likes about the car and the features that make it possible.
Once again in this segment there's hardly any filters, and or post production being done to the footage. It's almost like it'straight video directly from the camera and put on TV, "God" awful.
And of course once we get back to the studio, which the audience is strangely hidden off to the sides, we get that bland infomercial look and feel. It's so bad that I keep waiting for a number to flash on the bottom of the screen telling me to hurry now before supplies are gone.

Do you seriously think that the chemistry between the hosts will just automatically be there after one episode? Anyone who expects it to be as good as UK after 8 years in its current configuration needs to turn in their MTV, instant gratification, no attention span having card and go back to playing Pokemon.
I might agree, but even the studio segments are flat and devoid of any chemistry. And those segments are being filmed several months after the challenges their watching have been filmed. The chemistry would definitely show much more in the studio segments, and it's not even there yet. That may be a direction or production issue though. Still waiting to see it form though.

Now off to watch the Aston segment right after these messages....... :mad:

EDIT:
The Aston segment was definitely an improvement over anything we saw in the first episode by a long shot. Not only was the camera work much better, but the look of it was much nicer as well. Well, that is until the camera goes inside the car and once again it looks like straight camera footage again completely breaking the artistic direction the segment tries to set up. The camera for the most part was really nice. I really hate the manic, or chaotic direction some of this segment tried to go for. Top Gear is more subtle and elegant in it's featurettes. I'm wondering how much of this in the American version is intentional, trying to go after and target that action movie crowd with Michael Bay styled directing. Bad move in my opinion, Bay sucks.

I have to say though, Rutledge is easily walking away as the best host in the show so far. His voice over in the segment was very well done felt more reminiscent of Top Gear elegance and professionalism when doing the voice over. His comments in the car and during the segment are developing nicely too. He is becoming fun to watch and definitely my "favorite" (if you have to pick one I guess) so far in the show.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

People who seriously think that they shoot these episodes days before they are aired then they may need to get a reality check. They have weeks upon weeks of developing "chemistry" they even have the whole entire series already shot and just being on hold to air during their specific time and dates.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
^ Yeah, but have you seen the very early episodes of Top Gear UK before? They were no where near as good as now and took time to develop. They also had to take someone off to be replaced after the 2nd season, I believe James May took his place. It takes time. Give it a couple weeks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Yeah, but have you seen the very early episodes of Top Gear UK before? They were no where near as good as now and took time to develop. They also had to take someone off to be replaced after the 2nd season, I believe James May took his place. It takes time. Give it a couple weeks.
very true but i am still giving it two seasons before the kill it off

keep in mind the guys who wrote and edited top gear uk are doing this as well and it seems pretty awful...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tanner Foust is a great driver, but has no personality. People are approaching it with a closed mind because it will never be as good as the original. It's like a cover song, it will never stack up to the original. To someone who has never seen the UK Top Gear or watched alot of it may like it (all my friends) but IMO... It sucks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
very true but i am still giving it two seasons before the kill it off

keep in mind the guys who wrote and edited top gear uk are doing this as well and it seems pretty awful...
stop being a cynic and just let it be. you wouldn't want people telling you they told you so. if the show ends up being a success now would you.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
People who seriously think that they shoot these episodes days before they are aired then they may need to get a reality check. They have weeks upon weeks of developing "chemistry" they even have the whole entire series already shot and just being on hold to air during their specific time and dates.
Right... because my post implied that I thought they shot the episodes days before they air. :whome:

Next time you develop chemistry with another guy in a few weeks and it's entertaining enough to get millions of people to want to sit around and watch you two talk about cars, let me know b/c I'll sign you up and sponsor you for your very own motivational speaking circuit.

Oh, and btw...if you can explain how them having the whole season already shot explains why they should have great chemistry in the first episodes, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Rutledge interviewing Dominic was so much better than Adam and Buzz. He seemed to be more comfortable and the interview was fun to watch. Rutledge is definitely better equipped to do that portion than Adam. Do not ever put Adam in the seat again.
I have to admit, I like Rutledge. Seems like a cool guy.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts