Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as some of you know, I am trying to get into the car photgraphy world, people said I had the skill, just needed a better camera.
So, I did just this and got a Canon T2I. And, did my first shoot of a friends black STi and even after editing it looks bad to me...Advice?

here are some examples.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right? I am almost thinking when I edit the raw format in photoshop it takes somthing away? its like the image is not clear? I will try again with my maxima just so I am not wasting any cool cars time.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
They look pretty clear to me. Do you want to send one of the RAWs to me and I'll take a stab at editing it? Maybe it's the technique you're using to edit.

edit: PM me if you want me to try editing one and I'll give you my email.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Upload some of the un-edited images and embed them here. But upload them to imgur, the quality is better than photobucket.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm maybe.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Can you provide us your image specs? i.e. aperture, ISO, and shutter speed?

Play with your depth of field, also the dish does take away from the car and the viewer is not sure what the subject matter is. Of course it is the car, but the way the eyes work is there is a black object and a polar opposite white contrast that is the dish.

You are also shooting at what appears to be high noon judging from the angle of the shadows, so you will get harsh shadows and harsh lighting. Try shooting in the magic hour (early sunrise or sunset), and consider the angle of the lighting. Also cloudy days are a photographers best friend.

Some examples of cloudy overcast helping to diffuse the light (my photos):

And indoor forcing a bokeh, which may be overdone in this composition.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Like previously mentioned earlier it appears that you're shooting in pretty harsh daylight, but it also appears like most of the photos are taken from the shadow side. The ones with the satellite dish, I think you would've had better highlights if you were shooting perpendicular to the car versus off the front corner. You probably would've needed to reposition the car for a better angle, but ultimately these would've turned out better in softer lighting.

It takes a little while to adjust to shooting with an SLR also. I know when I switched from my P&S a few years back, I was disappointed my first few outings. They don't cover up your mistakes the way that a p&s camera will.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Are you shooting fully automatic with a zoom lens that has auto-focus?

Put everything in FULL MANUAL:
White balance
ISO
Aperture
Shutter Speed (exposure)
Focus

ALL MANUAL.

Right now it looks to me like you're in fully automatic and the ISO, auto-focus, aperture and shutter speed are screwing you.

Also consider investing in some prime lenses at some point down the road. For now, a zoom lens is fine to start and you can learn as you go...

Shutter and Aperture - Beginners Guide to Photography - Photonhead.com

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
All manual is unnecessary. Of course this is a huge debate. I will use manual mode occasionally but generally stick to Aperture Priority.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up sending the raw photo to Moose, and he did alot to the image, and make features of the car really stand out. He said I was overexposing the picture to make the colors to bright, and I totally agree! I thought it just looked better that way.

While taking the photos I used teh creative mode (canon T2I) and set it to have the backgournd out of focus but it defintly was not, almost as if (as someone mentioned) the camera focued on the sat vs teh car itself.

I am using the lens that came in the bundle, I have thought about getting another lens, but right now not sure what to even look for, so I plan on getting used to this one for now.

The time did suck, it was right at 11am, and I thought being out in the open would help so I did fight that.

The camera was set to autofocus.

as far as what setting am I using? do you mean in photoshop? I am not sure how to answer that.

As i said, I sent one photo to Nick, so if anyone else would be kind enough to take a look at the raw, please message me or put your email on here? or send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks for all the tips, I took some photos of my maxima behind a shopping center I will upload hopfully tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's my take on your pics.

First of all try using the Av setting which gives you a lot more control but still sets the shutter automatically.
Second, you can adjust which point the camera focuses on. I usually have mine set on the center point, press the shutter halfway to focus and lock in the exposure, recompose the image, then shoot. That way I always know where the focus is going to be. It's the top right button on the face of the camera, also used to zoom into an image when reviewing it.
Third, be mindful of not just the time but the weather. If it's clear and sunny, early morning when the sun is just above the horizon or evening when the sun is just about to set, is your best time to shoot as they produce long shadows and really beautiful light. Shooting when the sun is directly above creates dull shadows and a high contrast between the lights and the darks, like you have between antenna and your dark car. You generally want to have some detail in all area's of the picture, both the highlights, and shadows. Learn to use the histogram both on camera and in photoshop. While on the topic of photoshop, learn how to use Lightroom as it will greatly reduce the time you spend editing. You can make minor adjustments to many pictures at the same time. If you find yourself making major edits to the lighting, make a note of that and adjust that in camera next time.

Composition is very important as well. You don't want to have things coming out of your car, or anything too complicated being really close to the car, as the car is the main focus. If you parked your car about 20 feet further from the antenna, stepped away from the car and zoomed in to 55mm on your lens, you would have a much more appealing image. Be mindful of what interacts with the main focus of your image.

To start, read up the three basic elements of your camera, shutter speed, ISO, and focal length and how they influence your picture.

Experimenting on your own and looking at the results on the computer will help you understand the functions better. Posting up the pictures for a critique is good too but a more photography related forum may suit that better.

And lastly, one of L4P's own is a great source of both inspiration and idea's
notbland's deviantART gallery I specifically linked starting at the end of the gallery because if you start with the recent work it's a bit overwhelming. You can see how he goes from roughly your skills to having Top Gear and Dodge as clients.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you! I remeber reading a long time ago about zooming in, and walking back, how that will help your depth of field. I will try AV setting also. seriously everyone, thats for taking time out of your day to help me out! I am trully thankful.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts