Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a service advisor for Land Rover...........don't do the Rover!! I seriously see the same cars come back day after day with either different problems or even the same problems. Reliablility should never be used in the same sentence as Land Rover.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
CTT or X5 4.8

·
Registered
571 Posts
Go with the M3 DCT...I was thinking bout the RR Sport too but a friend of mine who had one talked me out of it nothing but problems. I ended up getting a coupe and have a 55 mile commute each way 2 or 3 days a week and think the car does great on it. Looks great and is a blast to drive around. If you really want a truck go with the Tahoe plenty of room, comfortable, and an overall good ride know a couple of people with them and they all love it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I love the look of the RR sport but wouldn't own it unless you are willing to deal with the potential problems. If it wasn't your only vehicle it may work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is our customers 07 Supercharged Sport. He loves the car (as do we. haha) Drives, feels like a champ! No major problems in all 20,000 miles of ownership. Too bad he just sold it :(

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
i have had a land rover, and yes it was a piece of sheet, but a classy piece of sheet.

i got such a great deal on it, i knew going into it it wasn't a reliable car and took it for what it was.

my two - cents, i'd do something more fun, the RR are heavy, slow, and not that fun to drive.

on the flipside, i am about to grab one for wifey to beat on (deciding on RR or RRS). but, i am looking for a cheap 2004 2005 maybe an 2006 (rrs) just knowing it is staying local, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
See, that is a bad looking RRS! I would definitely do something like that, but the reliability problems are a concern. Are the newer ones more reliable maybe? 09?

·
Registered
372 Posts
been daily driving them since 2002 (new 03 body) first with the big HSE then the sport since 06...fantastic daily driver car if u dont mind the gas, im getting about 15.5 MPG and about 20mile each way commute (not including going back into DC for dinners or parties etc 3 times a week). they are reliable now, my 2003 range only had a small problem with the suspension at the end of the lease, no sweat. ive had the sport (N/A) for 3 years now never had a SINGLE PROBLEM...nada. i was kind of contemplating leaving range rover for something else, but i fell in love with the limited edition HST supercharged version (only 200 in the world) and i may consider that for range rover number 3. only problem is wear and tear (like any car) brakes and tires are expensive but other than that first 5? services are included. i highly recommend them, its been by far my favorite SUV. and as for the comment of 'slow' and 'not dun to drive' i totally have to disagree, my NA motor is plenty fast with 300HP and the supercharged 390 is a big boost, put it in sport mode and the sound is just phenomenal! all range rovers become unreliable used, best bet is a 3 year lease all covered under warranty and return it once its over to avoid any problems (which so far after 6 years of owning the new range rovers) both BMW engine and Jaguar, ive had none after putting 45k on each car

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It kind of depends on what you are using it for and what kind vehicle you want. If you just want a vehicle to get back and forth to work and you want a dealer to maintain it. The RRs may not be the best for you. FYI, the RRs is built on the same platform as the Discovery 3 (LR3).

I make a living off-road, for the last 20 years I have mapped some of the most difficult trails in this country. I average 45,000 miles a year with 15,000 miles each year off-road. The new Discovery 3 (LR3) is by far the most dependable I have ever owned. With that said, I also have modified mine for off-road and after the last two Rovers I have learned to stay away from the dealers when it comes time for maintenance. The Rovers are absolutely the best designed vehicle in the world; their problems are caused from using cheap parts in manufacturing, not the design. If you don't mind waiting you can get aftermarket parts shipped into the US that is far better quality. I perform my own maintenance and would not dream of letting someone else touch my vehicle. I am a little quirky when it comes to my vehicles and don't even let anyone check the tire pressure.

This method is not for everyone; at the very least it will cost you about $7000 in a computer in your garage with the correct software. But if your love is for the Rover be prepared for just one more expensive hobby.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It kind of depends on what you are using it for and what kind vehicle you want. If you just want a vehicle to get back and forth to work and you want a dealer to maintain it. The RRs may not be the best for you. FYI, the RRs is built on the same platform as the Discovery 3 (LR3).

I make a living off-road, for the last 20 years I have mapped some of the most difficult trails in this country. I average 45,000 miles a year with 15,000 miles each year off-road. The new Discovery 3 (LR3) is by far the most dependable I have ever owned. With that said, I also have modified mine for off-road and after the last two Rovers I have learned to stay away from the dealers when it comes time for maintenance. The Rovers are absolutely the best designed vehicle in the world; their problems are caused from using cheap parts in manufacturing, not the design. If you don't mind waiting you can get aftermarket parts shipped into the US that is far better quality. I perform my own maintenance and would not dream of letting someone else touch my vehicle. I am a little quirky when it comes to my vehicles and don't even let anyone check the tire pressure.

This method is not for everyone; at the very least it will cost you about $7000 in a computer in your garage with the correct software. But if your love is for the Rover be prepared for just one more expensive hobby.
Coy, what do you do about the suspension issues?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Coy, what do you do about the suspension issues?
There are a few ways to alter the suspension.

1.The factory’s ride height is set by “level sensor arms” behind each wheel, if you shorten these by about 10mm, it will trick the computer into thinking it is too low to the ground and then the compressor will raise the vehicle about 2”. (this does make the ride more stiff)

2.If you are using the dealer’s software you can access the computer and tell the computer it is too low, this will give you the same result as above. (this does make the ride more stiff)

3. I have created a Lift-Kit for it that is being tested now; I hope to be in production in a month or so. (sorry, just can’t give details at this time) This allows me run 33" tires.

To run 33” tires you will have to cut out part of your rear fender wells. This only works with models that do not have rear A/C. For some reason LR added the rear A/C at the last minute and didn’t have a place run the A/C lines so they ran them in the fender wells. It is that reason that if anyone is thinking of buying one for off-road use, I make two recommendations. Get the HD package and get one without rear A/C.

As for the factory air system, I recommend to replace the factory air compressor with a 100% duty(Viair makes a good one), and relocate to a more protected area. Also replace the factory air tank with a 5 gallon tank that can be mounted in the rear cargo area. Then replace the factory rubber o-rings on all solenoids and air bags with silicone o-rings. You can also upgrade all air lines with heavy duty airlines to provide extra protection against dirt and mud over time, but not really needed, since you should never change the PSI of the system.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
No. I heard they sucked offroad(where you live you get snow in the winter) so it would not be the best for winter. I believe they only get like 8MPG. I woud choose:

A Chevy Tahoe
A Hummer H2/H3
A Cadillac Escalade
A Jeep Commander
A Ford F150
A Chevy Silverado
A Dodge Ram
A Ford Explorer
A Lincoln Navigator
Maybe a Porsche Cayanne

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hey guys... afraid I grew up with a British Automotive Obsession and wanted to share a few thoughts...TaTa Motors in India recently purchased the Marque from Ford...still assembled in the Solihull, England with no plans to relocate...YES we all like to joke about British Leyland...Lucas Electronics...why the Brits drink warm beer, etc...and looking for parts on the side of the road.....That being said over 89% of the Rovers EVER produced are still on the road the road today...I would NEVER drive anything else (Aston, Rover, Jaguar)....Check out LandRoverLifestyle.com some time for the history...then go drive one...you will fall in love...BTW only differnce in LR3 & RR sport is the supercharger on the RR sport...basically an SUV that handles like a Porsche...rumers of the 40MPG engine being offered stateside soon too....BUT it is truely a lifestyle and if you can not afford the upkeep or an extended warranty...LOL...XOXO!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Corvette Boy...14 MPG but AWESOME in snow...Home to Dallas this year for Christmas...Several feet in Flagstaff...We were pulling Beemers and othrs out of the snowbanks all the through!!! Factory (highway tires) shoes too with no chains...Rover drove itsself after hitting the "snow" button...Now have a more agresive tread tire (SSM16s) on it and NOTHING can stop it...see video of John Bull Trail! XOXO!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
PS...Be sure to get rear lockers and do not bother with the Perma Plate...did not last but a day or two on our Rover...not as good as Liquid Glass!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts