Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any luck in Vegas tipping at the front desk to get a better room? Some call this a "vegas sandwich", putting $50 in between your credit card and license and asking for a upgrade when you check in. Heading out to the Palazzo on Monday, and have a standard suite, I would like to try to upgrade to something with at least a strip view.;)

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
Hmmmm, never heard of it and honestly don't believe it. They have more cameras there than the white house. Nothing goes unseen in vegas and I mean nothing. There is so many different levels of check points that this really sounds far fetched. I would love to hear if it worked for you.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, frontdesktip.com is one of the sites where I read about this. Just looking for the obligatory L4P opinion.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It really varies. I have lived in Vegas for over 2 years now, and I use the tip whenever I get a hotel on the strip (date night with the wifey ;)). The norm is $20, but if you're staying somewhere nice (THE Hotel, Oriental, etc) then $50 is best. Wynn, Encore, Bellagio tend to upgrade more than most. FrontDeskTip.com is a good resource, but it's really all about who is at the desk.

It's the norm for the desk clerk to return the tip to you if there's nothing available, so DO NOT let them keep the tip if they don't hook you up. Alternatively, you can ask them if they can do 'anything' for you if they don't have an upgraded room available. I've been given 2 $200 spa passes, restaurant credits, etc. Be polite, and if you want something specific (ie: strip view suite), ask for that specifically when you hand them the sandwich.

Keep in mind - this is more of a Vegas thing, so if you try it in other cities, I doubt it'd work.

J

·
Registered
298 Posts
It really varies. I have lived in Vegas for over 2 years now, and I use the tip whenever I get a hotel on the strip (date night with the wifey ;)). The norm is $20, but if you're staying somewhere nice (THE Hotel, Oriental, etc) then $50 is best. Wynn, Encore, Bellagio tend to upgrade more than most. FrontDeskTip.com is a good resource, but it's really all about who is at the desk.

It's the norm for the desk clerk to return the tip to you if there's nothing available, so DO NOT let them keep the tip if they don't hook you up. Alternatively, you can ask them if they can do 'anything' for you if they don't have an upgraded room available. I've been given 2 $200 spa passes, restaurant credits, etc. Be polite, and if you want something specific (ie: strip view suite), ask for that specifically when you hand them the sandwich.

Keep in mind - this is more of a Vegas thing, so if you try it in other cities, I doubt it'd work.

J
This man speaks the truth. I always tip $50 at TheHotel and The Venetian. I'm batting about .500, and they always return it if they can't help you out. You just ask for any complimentary upgrades when you hand them your credit card and license.

This thread is where I first learned about it - LAS VEGAS FRONT DESK TIPPING! .

That site is the opposite of L4P. :)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
interesting...I've been to vegas many times and have never tried this or heard of it. I guess next time i'll give it a shot..can't hurt

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
When I go to Vegas, four times a year at least, because my wife and I are such losers,
they generally comp our room and food in advance...but we still want the upgrade...
no Vegas Sandwhich but try this: I memorize the check in persons name and use it a
couple of times in a positive way...then I use this line: "Hey Susan, this is a special
ocassion for us can you get us a cool room?"...We always get a great room!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tipping while checking in is always a good idea and everyone so far has been giving good feedback but I don't use the "sandwitch" move. It's standard procedure for the to receive tips but you don't want it to look like they are skimming the register on the surveillance system.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I did it w/ a $20 at the Mandalay and got an upgraded to a suite w/ a strip view....it was for a company trip and my boss at the time was pissed it worked!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
wow.. This is an interesting thread.. Ill have to try that sometime..

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I am gonna try this when we hit Vegas, chances are i'll fail hard drop the money on the floor, have to hand it to the lady awkwardly, then get rejected and get downgraded into a laundry room single and she'll keep the tip

:(

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
well if you are staying at venetian, they would probably upgrade you to comp suites would be my guess. usually 23rd floor. the rooms are not bad, I am not sure if it is worth an extra $50 though, but I have never been in the regular suite, so i really can not comment on them.

what you should try to focus on, and at venetian it is pretty easy, if you are a gambler, try to become rfb for your next trip. I bet $250/hand/hour would probably suffice if you played 3-4 hours for each day of your trip (dependent on when you come).

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I was thinking something WAY different when I saw the title of this thread.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well if you are staying at venetian, they would probably upgrade you to comp suites would be my guess. usually 23rd floor. the rooms are not bad, I am not sure if it is worth an extra $50 though, but I have never been in the regular suite, so i really can not comment on them.

what you should try to focus on, and at venetian it is pretty easy, if you are a gambler, try to become rfb for your next trip. I bet $250/hand/hour would probably suffice if you played 3-4 hours for each day of your trip (dependent on when you come).
Staying at the Palazzo, I figure a little nicer hotel may need more than a 20. Not much of a gambler, just a few bucks. I like to blow my $$ in other ways. Mainly just looking to get a nice view or in a good spot. I know the view rooms usually go for $40 more per night so if I could score 5 nights for $50 it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I've actually been reading into this and it actually sounds very reasonable and is happening quite often.

In fact so often that one of the hotels that I looked into it, they actually return your tip and still upgrade you. They are no longer allowed to accept the tips.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts