Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
you use it yourself? what was the learning curve like? lol
yea, it's really not that difficult, you just have to be incredibly patient when you're first learning or else you'll cut yourself bad and never try it again.

It took me about 6 months before I really felt comfortable with it. The thing is, to do a straight shave properly, it takes time. It's not a five minute thing, first you have to soften your whiskers (shower with hot water usually, barbers just use a warm towel), then you have to strop your razor, lather up your face with real shaving soap and a badger hair brush (expensive but world's better than $5 shit at target), then when you're actually shaving you have to remember never to push down on the razor (why most people cut themselves). The blade's wight alone is enough to cut whiskers, you're only there to rest it along your face at the right angle and guide it.

It's a pretty involved process and there's more to it but I don't feel like writing an article on it. Once you get it right though, it's completely worth it.

I've only cut myself a couple times and that's just because I was trying to rush myself.

If you're really interested here are a couple of sites that I wish i had found when I first started:
Straight Razors
Straight Razor Shaving For Beginners | The Art of Manliness

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Sweet pic with all the PAMs.... but with a normal gillette blade it kind of kills it for me. I would expect something better. Yes, ease of replacement is good, but when spending all this Id rather have something different. Now I dont know what is better, but it seems a bit cheapy to me. Everything else looks amazing, besides that..

As far as irritation and skin sensitivity, I have always heard that the more blades the worse. 1 blade razors, whether it be a normal razor or straight razor, is better for sensitive skin than the 3-5 blade razors... More blades to irritate, I guess was the rationale. I have pretty sensitive skin and use the same gillette razor that this uses and dont have many problems. Then again, I dont grow much facial hair (thank god! i hate shaving)....

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The Art of Shaving, if buying that kit is the rolls royce of shaving, then this place is like being chauffeured in one. It is the only place in town that will give you a straight razor shave. All of the barbers at the spas on the strip use bic.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i have very sensitive skin, heavy beard and get the best shave from my fusion. I can go easy and just keep going back to the hard to reach spots at different angles. My skin was red and irritated with the straight razor.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I have never used a shaving brush before, are the advantages really that numerous?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
shaving brushes lift the hair up a bit and make the lather much more thicker....kinda the difference between painting with your hands vs a paintbrush

I only shave twice a week (i am a rancher. no need for corporate bs) so I am thinking more and more about just hitting up the barbershop

·
Registered
261 Posts
How is that the "Rolls Royce of shaving"?? It's just the top of a Gillette Fusion with a plain black handle.....nothing impressive about this at all to me

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
because of everything else...mainly the brush. but a nice straight razor would replace the fusion nice. provided one knows how to use it and is not chicken shit like me to try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pictures can only do such much. One must hold and touch the shave set in order to feel the luxury that exudes from this set.

If you are a fan of watches, you will understand why this shave set was coined as the "Rolls Royce of Shaving" by Verone.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i have a heavy beard and usually only shave for a biz appointment or when I hang with my girl....who lives on the other side of the country :( I have used the Art of Shaving products and the one product that does the most to improve my shave is the Pre-Shave Oil. I use a hot towel and then rub the oil in and it really lifts the beard and softens the skin. I don't bother with the mug and brush but i do also use the after shave. all their products come un and lightly scented.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used the Art of Shaving products and the one product that does the most to improve my shave is the Pre-Shave Oil. I use a hot towel and then rub the oil in and it really lifts the beard and softens the skin. I don't bother with the mug and brush but i do also use the after shave. all their products come un and lightly scented.
If you love using a pre-shave oil, try out the TwinLuxe Booster Serum. It can be applied before your shaving cream and provides a much more nourishing protective barrier on your skin from your blade and most importantly...IT IS NOT OILY!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you love using a pre-shave oil, try out the TwinLuxe Booster Serum. It can be applied before your shaving cream and provides a much more nourishing protective barrier on your skin from your blade and most importantly...IT IS NOT OILY!!
I have read complaints about the oiliness of the Art of....Pre Shave being too oily. My beard is super heavy so I think the oil is just fine and by the end of the shave my skin feels nurtured but not overoiled. however I will check yr recommendation out. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts