Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It can be made to fly with minimal amount of work but it is being prepped to forever be a static display. For example the engine exhaust that had rotted away years ago were reproduced in fiberglass. They look the same but wouldn't actually work before they melted away or caught on fire.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There is another B-29 undergoing restoration to flight status. "Doc" has been recently purchased from it's original investors and work has started again. It's in Wichita Kansas. Doc's Friends Kermit Weeks has one complete B-29 airframe, and most of a B-50 airframe that could be restored to fly if someone came along with enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what was going on with Doc. Seems like forever they have been working on it. The planes of fame also has a B-50 airframe I believe.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The B-50 in Chino is "Lucky Lady II". It was the first aircraft to ever fly around the world non stop. They stuffed it full of extra fuel tanks and refueled in flight four time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
May 10th we will polish another heavy bomber. This one is painted. I can't say much about it now but I will reveal the aircraft and post lots of pics on my Facebook page (link below). A forum write up will soon follow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The B29's did an amazing job of incinerating Japanese cities on firebombing raids. No offense intended to anyone, but those firebombing raids killed far more people than the 2 atomic bombs. In fact, most of the pictures that are around showing Hiroshima and Nagasaki after being bombed are actually pictures of other cities that had been firebombed. Effect quite similar. Hard to believe such a beautiful thing as that B29 could wreak such havoc. But, seems good airplanes are always good looking.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts