Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
The two cars, to me, shouldn't even be compared. Let me first say that I am not a huge Maserati fan from the get go. Maserati just isn't exciting to me. It doesn't stir any emotion from me. Are they pretty? Sure, but that's a small piece of the equation for me. Ok, now that that's out of the way, and that you can assume my next set of comments will be biased - The Maserati is clearly more of a GT car. It's a 2+2 design, NA V8 pushing 460HP. The McLaren is way beyond this league. But that's not really the point you are driving at, right? You are saying that the future of sports cars lay in what Maserati have presented with this concept car versus what McLaren has done with the 650S. If that's the case then I am still failing to see how such a conclusion could be formed. Yes, the Maserati is nice looking, but what has Maserati done that is innovative? Why is it the future? This concept is based off of a tried and true formula, but it's certainly not the future. If anything I would call it the past. McLaren is constantly pushing the envelope with forward thinking technology. Look at the P1 - the P1 has helped change the rule book about what is possible with 4 wheels. It set the bar for what a hyper car should be measured against. But McLaren doesn't just sit back and watch their success. They are driving to create the next best thing. Did you know that they are trying to adopt fighter jet canopy technology to eliminate the need for windscreen wipers? You don't see Maserati taking any steps like this. They are riding on coattails.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with @NoBottleJustThrottle. These two cars should not be compared. The McLaren 650S is in fact a super car up there with the Ferrari 458 Speciale and the up coming Lamborghini Huracan. The Maserati Alfieri will be a sports car not a super car. With big brother/sister Ferrari already in the super car segment Fiat will not put a Maserati model there to compete with its sister brand. The Alfieri is being made to compete with cars such as the Porsche 911 and the Jaguar F-Type. McLaren's upcoming entry level the P13 model will in fact be a sports car rivaling the Porsche 911 also. Thus, that is the car to compare to the Maserati Alfieri not the 650S.

Side note I am a big Maserati fan and really looking forward to the Alfieri production car. I think that it will be awesome to say the least.

Suggested Maserati Alfieri Engine Options
Maserati Engine Roadmap.jpg
While impressive it does not hold a candle to the McLaren 650S's 640HP, 500 Torque @ 6000RPM and top speed of 210mph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts