Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of planning a trip to Thailand in August of this year. I have been reading a lot in online articles, using wikitravel, and posting on various forums for recommendations, advice, suggestions, and any other help people are will to offer. I plan to stay in Bangkok for a little time, 1 night in the State Tower, but what are some hotels, amazing activities, and sights that people would recommend in the country, doesn't have to be in Bangkok. I really appreciate any information L4P members can give.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you stay in the State Tower, when in Bangkok, its the skyscraper that was used in the Hangover 2, and its pretty reasonable rate for a 5-star hotel. I hoping to get more members to give some input into Thailand :whistle:

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
If you get offered to see a "free" Ping pong show, I recommend it. But be prepared to spend about $60 on drinks. They literally wont let you leave until you do. LOL. Its disgusting, but makes for a GREAT story.

I recommend Pattaya for the beach town. Its much cheaper than Phuket and you get the same experience. Definately make it up north near Chang Mai in the rain forest. You can ride the elephants and ride the river by the Golden triangle (Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam). Dont get a tour guide. They take you to places where you have to buy stuff and they get a cut of whatever you buy from the shops.

Take some extra suit bags and have some suits made. High quality, hand made and only about $100.

If You're in to Scuba Diving or snorkling go out to Phi Phi Island. Clearest/bluest water Ive ever seen and have some great diving spots.

I hope you like seafood. Thailands got some of the best seafood, and for cheap. Their beef selections arent so good. Stay away.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I live there when I'm not working in this shit hole. Great country with a lot of different sites and activities on offer. Are you going by yourself, with friends, with a GF/Wife? Hard to give advice without knowing what you're looking to do.

The State Tower is nice but I don't know if I'd want to spend all my time in BKK there. I prefer the Sukhumvit area between Nana and Asoke BTS stops but I also like going to the bars in that area which may or may not be your thing.

Just saw you're only doing 1 night in the State Tower. Good.

Let me know what you're interested in doing and I'll try to help.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you get offered to see a "free" Ping pong show, I recommend it. But be prepared to spend about $60 on drinks. They literally wont let you leave until you do. LOL. Its disgusting, but makes for a GREAT story.

I recommend Pattaya for the beach town. Its much cheaper than Phuket and you get the same experience. Definately make it up north near Chang Mai in the rain forest. You can ride the elephants and ride the river by the Golden triangle (Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam). Dont get a tour guide. They take you to places where you have to buy stuff and they get a cut of whatever you buy from the shops.

Take some extra suit bags and have some suits made. High quality, hand made and only about $100.

If You're in to Scuba Diving or snorkling go out to Phi Phi Island. Clearest/bluest water Ive ever seen and have some great diving spots.

I hope you like seafood. Thailands got some of the best seafood, and for cheap. Their beef selections arent so good. Stay away.
I'd avoid any of the establishments that guys on the street try to drag you into. You can go to Long Gun on Soi Cowboy if you want to see some dirty shows and not get ripped off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am in the process of planning a trip to Thailand in August of this year. I have been reading a lot in online articles, using wikitravel, and posting on various forums for recommendations, advice, suggestions, and any other help people are will to offer. I plan to stay in Bangkok for a little time, 1 night in the State Tower, but what are some hotels, amazing activities, and sights that people would recommend in the country, doesn't have to be in Bangkok. I really appreciate any information L4P members can give.
Subscribing to this thread - I'm going in May for about 2 weeks and am planning a similar trip. We'll be spending a few days in Bangkok then towards one of the beach villages, but we haven't narrowed down any details yet.
Hey Fellas,

I just got back Saturday from a quick Business trip. 6 Nights in Bangkok and 1 in Pattaya. I would recommend the Conrad Hotel in Bangkok. Amazing hotel make sure to get an Executive Suite for all the perks of the Executive Lounge. It's a 3 Minute walk to the Asoke Train Station and about 5 minute Walk to Nana District. Nana was a little to sleazy for me but to each his own. Down in Pattaya we stayed at the Holiday in which was great Top floor with a view. Pattaya is a world of it's own "Beware".

Last year I took the family down to Phuket and Phi Phi Don Island. If you can manage I would highly recommend it. Great for diving and beach hopping.

Conrad Bangkok Hotel Bangkok Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

Holiday Inn Pattaya Hotel Pattaya Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel Koh Phi Phi (Krabi) Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
my uncle lives in Pattaya, Chonburi. He sent me pictures of their new years city party from his balcony which he says goes on for 10 straight days over there (puts our one night to shame). Not really sure what is around but I will ask him. Here are some pics he took of it all.

·
Registered
406 Posts
my uncle lives in Pattaya, Chonburi. He sent me pictures of their new years city party from his balcony which he says goes on for 10 straight days over there (puts our one night to shame). Not really sure what is around but I will ask him. Here are some pics he took of it all.

Songkran. It's really 3 days but in Pattaya it drags on for 8 or 9. In Pattaya it's a massive waterfight from sun up to sun down, absolutely mental. It's in April but I'm guessing that picture is from NYE Dec 31st?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I live there when I'm not working in this shit hole. Great country with a lot of different sites and activities on offer. Are you going by yourself, with friends, with a GF/Wife? Hard to give advice without knowing what you're looking to do.
I will be going by myself, tried to get friends and family, they either thought it was dangerous or couldn't afford it and various other reasons, maybe someone will tag along last minute.

Anyhow, I am looking to do tourist things, but not get caught in tourist traps. I really like the idea of beach hopping, seeing the gardens/temples/monuments/palaces, fun tourist activities like zip lining, and staying in unique or amazing hotels, I will have to look into the Circu3 recommended, the Conrad. I would also like to do some shopping it the goods are well priced, but good quality. Its my first international trip in my life and I want to be smart about it and prepared to make it memorable. Thanks everyone for the advice so far, looking forward to get as much as possible.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Songkran. It's really 3 days but in Pattaya it drags on for 8 or 9. In Pattaya it's a massive waterfight from sun up to sun down, absolutely mental. It's in April but I'm guessing that picture is from NYE Dec 31st?
Yes. new years eve

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
I'll probably dive for 2-3 of the mornings that I'm there - are the dives relatively easy or pretty technical? (I haven't gone beyond 110 ft yet)
The dives we did were very easy.

On a side note, when we were in the cab leaving Thailand, we started seeing tanks and humvees rolling in. It was right in the middle of the Military coup, but we didnt know it. When we landed in Dubai everyone was asking us how we managed to get out. Turned out they has locked the country down less than 30 minutes after our flight took off!! Wouldnt have been the worst thing in the world to get stuck there for a few days. Ive been to 30 or so countries and Thailand was one of my favorites.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here are a few shots out of my personal album with the family last year. If your going to do the tourist thing and you enjoy the beach then Phuket and Phi Phi Don Island are a wise choice. There are alot of activities to choose from in Phuket. Elephant Trekking, Island Hopping, Scuba Diving, ATV Rentals, Gun Ranges and many others.
Floating Market 2.jpg Floating Market 3.jpg Floating Market.jpg FM3.jpg Fresh Seafood.jpg Island Hopping 2.jpg Island Hopping.jpg Low Tide.jpg Phi Phi Don 2.jpg Phi Phi Don.jpg Phuket.jpg Phuket2.jpg Street Venders.jpg Temple.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
MBK in Bangkok is a good place to go if you're looking for cheaper prices. Quality is hit or miss but it's not hard to tell what's good and what's trash. It's on the BTS(Skytrain) route so it's easy to get to.
Central World and Siam Paragon are notch up in prices but worth walking through. Gaysorn is upscale so unless you're looking to spend I wouldn't waste your time. The last 3 are all pretty much next to each other. Almost forgot Terminal 21 @ Asok BTS is a pretty cool shopping mall. Each floor has a different countries theme to it. Don't think I'd buy much there but it's nice to walk around and find something to eat.

For zip lining you can check out "Flight of the Gibbon" I've never done it but I have some friends who did the one in Pattaya and said it was a blast. I'd also recommend going to Pattaya. You didn't say you wanted to party but if you're flying around the world I'd at least spend a day or 2 in the city and check out Walking Street. It's worth a look

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here are a few shots out of my personal album with the family last year. If your going to do the tourist thing and you enjoy the beach then Phuket and Phi Phi Don Island are a wise choice. There are alot of activities to choose from in Phuket. Elephant Trekking, Island Hopping, Scuba Diving, ATV Rentals, Gun Ranges and many others.
How does the Elephant Trekking work? Do you get to spend a full afternoon or day riding on them? Sounds like something unique and really cool to do!

btw - SMW - I hope you don't mind me asking questions in your thread too, it seemed like it'd make more sense than multiple threads.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hopefully you go there have fun(no hangover movie happenings) come back and share PICTURES

·
Registered
82 Posts
How does the Elephant Trekking work? Do you get to spend a full afternoon or day riding on them? Sounds like something unique and really cool to do!

btw - SMW - I hope you don't mind me asking questions in your thread too, it seemed like it'd make more sense than multiple threads.
The Elephant Trekking was pretty cool. I wouldn't want to do it for an entire afternoon though. Everything is aimed at tourist and making money. So you only get about an hour and a half Trek through the hills for about $30.00. It was long enough to enjoy and my kids really loved it. There are afew places that offer this tour in Phuket and negotiating on the price is always a must for anything in Thailand.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Not at all GoHokies, I think a great large thread with bounds of information is a great idea, I encourage anyone to ask questions and share knowledge. The Elephant Trekking and Flight of Gibbon both sound interesting.

Jake - I am very interested in doing the night life, I just thought I would be able to find nightlife rather easy by walking in areas close to the hotel and recommendations of the concierge and other tourist there. If there are some must visit bars/club/night life activities, I am all ears, I am not opposed to doing anything in Thailand, I want it to be a superb trip with lots of memories, pictures, and experiences.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts