Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
i believe my original point, whether my exact quote backs it up or not, was that there wasn't a TFL-quality restaurant in TX.

i certainly believe there are great local restaurants, particularly in the BBQ genre.
Chuck you are absolutely right. We do have some great local spots though. If you ever take a trip to Houston for business or otherwise please let me know.

Ben.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
He is referring to restaurants on the level of French Laundry etc.

You mean French Laundry in yountville right?
There's nothing in Dallas on that level

I usually just go to.
Del Friscos - We ask for the wine cellar
The Palm

·
Registered
581 Posts
San Antonio:

La Hacienda de Barrios
Scenic Loop Cafe
Acenar
Rudy's BBQ
Home of the Smoke

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
San Antonio:

La Hacienda de Barrios
Scenic Loop Cafe
Acenar
Rudy's BBQ
Home of the Smoke
Acenar=win

there is better BBQ in Tejas than rudys...its good, but im just saying

·
Registered
581 Posts
Acenar=win

there is better BBQ in Tejas than rudys...its good, but im just saying
No problems, I like Rudy's because they have decent prices and decent BBQ, I agree there is better in Tejas, but in my locale, thats good.

Later,
Lee

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I use to love the Mason Jar on the Katy Freeway in Houston. Brenner's in Houston
was great...Salt Lick in Austin. Chuy's in Austin.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
There are quite a few high end restaurants in Austin.

I believe the Driskill has been number one for the last few years. Then there is Aquarelle, Eddie V's, Jeffrey's, and a handful of others.

Don't bother with Dallas or Houston. ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Catalon (Houston) looks pretty good - definitely different

Greens & Beans (Houston) underground dinner should also excite: early september HERITAGE dinner feeding curiosity

- chuck
Had a dozen or so meals at Catalan now Chuck. It's definitely good and one of the few I'd suggest to you if you were to ever come through this neck of the woods. The problem I have with it is that as the traffic has picked up the quality has suffered slightly. I've had a few meals that have blown my socks off and a few that have kinda left me scratching my head. I live about two miles away from there though so I find myself wandering back often.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been to a few good spots in Lockhart, Texas when I was visiting Austin. Obviously I had to hit up Blacks for some BBQ...which was amazing. Lexus Magazine has a Dallas road trip article up and their BBQ recommendation is Clarks Outpost. Has anyone been? Worth the drive from Dallas?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
good to hear bmoores - i've got a friend in houston who's pretty crazy so i'll pass along any recs he has in this thread

- chuck

·
Registered
395 Posts
I’d have to say In Dallas there’s a nice Italian restaurant “Ruggeri’s” in the Quadrangle.

They have them all over but the Uptown location was the first before the uptown area was even popular.

When it was located in their original location it was a lunchtime haven for all sorts of wealthy businessmen and celebrities but off the beaten path and a small one store business. Today they have several locations and have lost their charm but the food is still good

a lot of the old classics restaurants are now gone

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I’d have to say In Dallas there’s a nice Italian restaurant “Ruggeri’s” in the Quadrangle.

They have them all over but the Uptown location was the first before the uptown area was even popular.

When it was located in their original location it was a lunchtime haven for all sorts of wealthy businessmen and celebrities but off the beaten path and a small one store business. Today they have several locations and have lost their charm but the food is still good

a lot of the old classics restaurants are now gone
i was friends with the owners' late daughter. good people.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
because its the way i was raised.
and because i didnt know him that well. I just knew jennifer ruggeri (rip) through my wife.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
bignmz04 - i was told there's a place in houston (name forgotten) serving "arawa style" (ie, a wagyu blend of some sort) beef for $190/steak. did you raise that bad boy?

- chuck

21 - 40 of 44 Posts