Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on everybody? I test drove a Q7 for the wife today to get a comparison to the GL450 that we recently test drove. I was pleasantly surprised. To me the Q7 rode smoother & had more of a car feel to it versus the GL which feels like a truck. The conclusion that I came to is that I liked the Q7 better. I know that MB is MB, but what warrants the large price difference between these 2? I'm just curious to see what L4P thinks.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Q7, especially with the 3.0L supercharged V6. Great engine and bulletproof as well from a reliability standpoint.

One thing to consider, I've never driven or been in a GL, but I believe the GL is quite a bit larger than the Q7. I think that accounts for some of the price difference as it's a full size SUV. The third row in the Q7 was clearly an afterthought and is really just for small kids and is not usable for adults (remember that the Q7 shares a chassis with the Cayenne and Touareg, both 5 seaters).

I can't really comment on the price difference, other than saying Audi seems to be a better value in general.

·
14,490 Posts
Here's the thing with BMW, MBZ and Audi.
MBZ doesn't know if their building muscle cars or luxury cars anymore.
BMW doesn't know if their building economy cars or sports car anymore.
Audi is the only one who keep real German engineering anymore.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Here's the thing with BMW, MBZ and Audi.
MBZ doesn't know if their building muscle cars or luxury cars anymore.
BMW doesn't know if their building economy cars or sports car anymore.
Audi is the only one who keep real German engineering anymore.
I agree.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I test drove a Q7 last week when I was trying out X5. It felt huge but really nice inside. Though X5 impressed me much more. I guess I'm biased because I'm looking to get one.
Keep on mind Q7 is still dated, x5 is one whole generation ahead of it (and so does the MB and VW and Porsche it's very annoying :/ )......... I personally can't wait for Audi to finally release new Q that's the SUV I'm going to buy!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When is the new Q supposed to be coming out?

BMW's are extremely small on the inside to me. I'm 6'4 260 lbs & I was shocked at how tight the Beemers are.

I was in Canada for 2 months working & I rented an Audi A4. I was impressed with the ride quality & other aspects of the car, but the MMI seemed a bit lackluster to me. Only volume control to the stereo on the steering wheel. You had to look down on the console to skip songs. My F250 has controls to everything on the wheel. When I test drove the Q I noticed the same thing on the wheel. So if the new ones are coming out soon I'd expect the MMI to be a tad more thought out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The problem for me with the Q7 is that it's been around for what feels like decades. The new one is being shown late this year for deliveries in the spring/summer of 2015.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I heard 2016 Audi is coming out with the new one.......finally

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a thought, we spent a month going over all of them, the GL ended up low on the list for us which was not what I expected. We ended up purchasing an Infiniti QX80 - love the thing so far!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's taken her quite some time to come to the conclusion of the Q7. She's weighed all of the options. So I'm happy that she's made up her mind. I was looking around about when the next generation Q was to come out & the initial reports showed it as a 2015 model. So you guys are saying it's been pushed back to a '16 model now?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
2015 order guide is already out. It was pushed back to MY'16

As for the Audi Q7, fans of Ingolstadt’s behemoth SUV will also have to wait for a redesigned model because Hackenberg was displeased with the looks of SUV’s front end. Since the new Q7 will be around 300 kg lighter (661 lbs), Hackenberg wants it to look lighter as well, with designers now working to remove some of the bulkness of the original design. Expect the Q7 launch somewhere in the first quarter of 2015.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I had a GL450 and test drove a Q7...we bought an Escalade. I'm not an american auto fan at all but if you have kids that do numerous activities like we do then the Escalade was a way better fit.

GL was ok but not worth the money
Q7 felt too much like a car and the 3rd row is kind of a joke for anything but small children

Now with the redesign of the Escalade I don't think I'll ever go back but hey that's just me

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
^ My experience with Cadillac.

MBZ
Audi
Infiniti

every other luxury car brand

100 yards of shit

and then there is Cadillac

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I've got almost 30k miles on it without a single problem

Like I said I'm not really a cadillac fan. The big selling point for us was that no one else offers the captains chairs for the middle road. That makes the 3rd row a pain in the ass for kids to get to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've got a 2012 Q7 S Line and it's been fantastic. I've got 52k miles on it and it's been rock solid so far. There are a few things that do appear dated compared to newer models, but the little refreshes Audi has added over the years have made it a formidable contender among rivals. I debated purchasing it for so long because everyone kept saying there was a new one coming any time, but it seems to keep getting pushed back (going on 3 years in a row now?). Glad I didn't wait, because that would have been extremely frustrating. At this rate, I'll be lucky if there's a new one out by the time I'm done with my '12.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife doesn't want to pay for a luxury Toyota or Nissan. She also doesn't want to consider Acura because it's a Honda. The fact that the Q rode like a car is what I think will be best for her. She's never owned an SUV or truck & I think the car-like ride will be what she's most comfortable in.

I was in Canada for work for almost 2 months & the 1st 3 weeks I had a Cadillac ATS. I had to turn it in due to the GM safety recall & they gave me an Audi A4. The difference between the 2 was miles apart. The ATS had more bells & whistles than the A4, but they weren't as functional. The touch screen wasn't very sensitive & it to me the Audi's materials felt of better quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts