Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a high end luxury SUV, and the Range Rover is one of the first cars that come to mind. I've been reading a lot of blogs and forum posts about the terrible reliability of these Land Rovers.

I'd like those with some experience and years of LR ownership to chime in and give me some insight as to what these problems and unreliability are about.
Little electrical glitches? Mechanical problems...minor or major?

I have a Yukon Denali lease that is up the end of the month. I don't want to buy american again. I'm looking at the Range Rover, the Q7 and some of the larger luxury sedans, A8, S550 etc etc.

Is it worth giving the range a look? Should I still go into the dealership and pick their brain about price and monthly lease rates?

Thanks for all the help,
Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
except reability the range is easily the best choice...

the audi q7 looks like a hippo...the gl too big and too bad made cheap materials etc...

hummer no way... cant accelarate cant corner cant brake cant be looked with pleasure...

x5 is good but not as exclusive as a range....

the sclass or audi a8 are very different to drive and live with... but good choices...

from sedans take a look at the quattraporte

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
none.....and lots....

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I doubt you will get stranded with a Range Rover ever. They just have annoying little quirks that can be a headache.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I doubt you will get stranded with a Range Rover ever. They just have annoying little quirks that can be a headache.
really......

·
Registered
117 Posts
Electronic gremlins, potential airbag issues (suspension air bags), etc.

Like was stated above, most of these problems won't leave you stranded. These repairs, while minor, can be very costly out of pocket. Just make sure whatever you are looking at is under warranty and it isn't really a big deal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's the best looking truck in the game hands down. Problems you might face can be anything from an annoying humming noise on the highway that can't be fixed no matter what you change from wipers, to grills, to tires lol (not like it's happening to mine or anything) to electrical problems, very often 1 or 2 of the cameras won't work. just little things that are annoying and cause you to go to the dealer but won't leave you stranded. Yet no matter how many little problems you have with it you can't help but love it. It's a great truck

Not like it's a first generation Cayenne or Touareg where you really were stranded alot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Just pick up a 08 Rover SC and it was love at first drive.. I know there are some that say you'll have issues but, life short go big or stay home.....

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
except reability the range is easily the best choice...

the audi q7 looks like a hippo...the gl too big and too bad made cheap materials etc...

hummer no way... cant accelarate cant corner cant brake cant be looked with pleasure...

x5 is good but not as exclusive as a range....

the sclass or audi a8 are very different to drive and live with... but good choices...

from sedans take a look at the quattraporte
You forgot the "One to rule them all": G55

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I've got an RRS and have no issues to camplain about.

I know that this isnt the regular case since, as mentioned before, they often tempt to give you some trouble with the electronics and engine management and suspension as well.

I suggest if you're gonna decide to go for an LR go for the daddy - the disco.

Regarding reliability you wont get disappointed with the germans. Q7 and Cayenne are both ugly but solid cars.

If I were in your shoes tho I'd decide between a G55 and the Disco.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies, this definitely helps. I'm happy nothing major can go wrong (aka my gas pedal getting stuck sending my car hurling uncontrollably at whatever is in its path)

Too soon?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ok...I have to admit...with Lucas Electronics(Prince of Darkness and the reason the English drink warm beer) you will probably always have a few quirks! I have an XK in addition to the LR's and I am constantly resetting the window setting (they roll down .5 inch when the top is up to roll back up into the convertible top for a quieter ride)...and have ISSUES with my bluetooth (have to just turn it off when not in use or it is constantly seeking while in the garage and runs my battery down) ...BUT there are VERY few cars I would take/trade over mine and THAT is what it is all about...very satisfied after almost 15 years of British Engineering...

·
Registered
332 Posts
none. never ever had any problem....still shocked beyond belief.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Don't have one but the new {insert make and model here} is vastly improved over the vehicles of just a few years ago. Serious mechanical issues are few with any vehicle, and I have to disagree with Giannis in that nothing from RR, Jag, MB, BMW, Porsche or Audi is made with poor materials (look to Japan for well assembled cheap stuff). 100 defects/100 vehicles is the norm now, with the tops being around 50 defects/100 vehicles, but I'd rather take a Benz or an LR with a radio button that needs repair than a "perfect" Acura or Lexus.

If you want an LR/RR, go for it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
We've had one after another over the years. They've all been good, but the latest generation has been great (for us). I've heard the horror stories, but we've never experienced them.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Not like it's a first generation Cayenne or Touareg where you really were stranded alot!
Petrolsexual said:
Regarding reliability you wont get disappointed with the germans. Q7 and Cayenne are both ugly but solid cars.
I am not sure why the Touareg gets so little love around here but by any metric for which the platform was designed, it is the superior vehicle. The first gen was rock-solid, as long as you didn't get the first year. There is a reason why the Stanford team used a Touareg to win DARPA's Grand Challenge.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts