Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know pretty minimal about watches, and never really cared to sport more than my Victorinox as I'm pretty rough on them and typically more casual/low key outside of my car and boat spending. Well out of nowhere today my wife says she wants to buy me a nice watch, so we go looking while killing some time before a dinner party.

She points out a nice Tag Heuer, which catches my eye as well. We about box it up and call it a day, but I'm really not that impulsive so I pass (nice gesture, but her money is my money as well) and I'm not sure ~$4,700 is something I want to spend for this. I'm sure most may consider this a starter type watch, but any one have any reviews thoughts on this? Is it worth it? What else in this price range or perhaps less would you consider? Did your 1st nice watch start a new hobby of collecting?

Thanks all, again not my area of expertise....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figure the markups are crazy, didn't even try to negotiate and think they basically offered 15% off. With so many replicas...I venture the used market isn't the easiest to navigate?

·
7,022 Posts
Pre owned market can be safe and reliable. In addition, a forum sponsor could help as well. In fact, if you budget is say 5k, then your options are large. Tell us what you like about that watch and what you don't like about it. Must haves in a watch (date, chrono, automatic vs manual vs quartz, leather vs bracelet, dress vs sport) are important. Since you don't have "brand loyalty", then we may be able to come up with a nicer piece for you in that same price range or lower (FEAR reps Breitling and Bell & Ross to name a couple; I am sure he can get you a new piece from AD, in addition to being a trusted dealer in pre owned).

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I don't know much about pricing and I know a lot of people on here don't like Tag but they make some nice looking pieces. The Carrera being one of my favorites from the brand.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Reactions: LaEnana

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to take my time here. I think I could likely pick that Tag up for $800-$900 less than I had posted now that I've done some looking/research. I still personally like it, but looking at some of the threads here there are a lot of nice choices.

Any more links to places that have good "used" selections. I was looking at HQMilton's used items that have been sold...some nice pieces.

·
7,022 Posts
There are lots of good used sites/forums, but keep in mind that they have postings from individual sellers. Each seller will need to be verified and researched to avoid potential scams. As far as websites that are businesses selling pre owned pieces, there are several. But I would doubt any of those could beat our sponsors here. You tend to pay a little more than from individuals, but there is more security when buying from reputable people like FEAR and Gil. Good luck on your hunt!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts