Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[video=youtube;YRhnPlNgtHY#!]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YRhnPlNgtHY#![/video]

That second hit: OUCH! :)

Reactions: The Judge

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Seems a bit excessive, if this happened in the US there would be a multi-million dollar lawsuit filed the next day and I'd have to agree with it. The car was stopped, ramming it a 2nd time was overkill.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seems a bit excessive, if this happened in the US there would be a multi-million dollar lawsuit filed the next day and I'd have to agree with it. The car was stopped, ramming it a 2nd time was overkill.
If you watch the car was moving before it got hit again. Probably was going to try and flee after first hit.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
The van wasn't moving until the cop backed up. It started moving after he backed up. So, excessive force would still count. Cop should have gotten out with gun drawn and demanded that the engine is shut off. Not back up and make it obvious that a 2nd ramming was coming. The cop could have ended this without damaging the surrounding area. In the US, the thief would win the excessive force lawsuit and get off clean.

IMO, the cop screwed up. There are better ways to deal with taking out a van that don't involve destroying the surrounding environment and possibly killing a perp. If I was his Chief, I'd put him on foot patrol as a result of his actions. Yes, he did his job. Great, now the squad car needs to be fixed or replaced and the building needs to be inspected for damage and then the owner paid. Awesome, you caught a thief and managed to get a $20-30k bill in the process and risked a lawsuit. Great work! You deserve a doughnut.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Sweden is a monarchy and the family doesn't put up with crime..... the police will walk away from this laughing

Reactions: Pawel

·
Registered
40 Posts
The van wasn't moving until the cop backed up. It started moving after he backed up. So, excessive force would still count. Cop should have gotten out with gun drawn and demanded that the engine is shut off. Not back up and make it obvious that a 2nd ramming was coming. The cop could have ended this without damaging the surrounding area. In the US, the thief would win the excessive force lawsuit and get off clean.

IMO, the cop screwed up. There are better ways to deal with taking out a van that don't involve destroying the surrounding environment and possibly killing a perp. If I was his Chief, I'd put him on foot patrol as a result of his actions. Yes, he did his job. Great, now the squad car needs to be fixed or replaced and the building needs to be inspected for damage and then the owner paid. Awesome, you caught a thief and managed to get a $20-30k bill in the process and risked a lawsuit. Great work! You deserve a doughnut.
You might be 100% correct and I am no judge or jury, but I do have two observations to add. It seems to me that the cop was alone in the car. Now if those really were criminals in the car I can't blame the cop for "pinning" them against the wall before getting out. What if he was greatly outnumbered? Secondly whatever happened to good vs bad, cop vs criminal, the damn line is so blurred these days that cases where "e.g. shoplifters get away with compensation because he was tripped while being chased after he stole a whole bunch of things (read a case)" are a daily thing. In my opinion the criminal should remember being arrested for the rest of his life, not given a wrong sense of entitlement and said "go try again so that we can catch you right"

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
True, Sweden probably doesn't care what the cop did to stop the guy. Doing things that way though, completing something without thinking about how to minimize damage, expense, etc. is how the world got so fvcked up financially. Too many people don't think about the big picture and how their actions could end up costing more than whatever is gained. In life and death situations, this doesn't exactly matter but this was not a life and death situation from what we can see. That's my whole point. It doesn't matter where this took place.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Haha.. Everything bad that happens to a criminal is fine with me.. If you knew what kind of punishment a swedish court gives criminal you would first laugh then ask if i was serious..

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Please, go on. :eatingpopcorn:

·
Registered
712 Posts
We have no idea what had happened prior to this (or during for that matter), the bad guys could have fired at the police or even started to load a d*** minigun in the back seat of their car, making the second hit the best decision the cop has ever made..

Don't say that the cops actions was bad/unneccesary when you don't know anything about the situation.

A cop that files a $10M lawsuit for almost having his foot run over at 2mph is something to get upset about. This, not so much imo.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I understand right before the video was recorded they robbed a pharmacy store. You don't rob a store unarmed!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
From what I understand right before the video was recorded they robbed a pharmacy store. You don't rob a store unarmed!
Given that this was at night, the store was probably closed. With a minivan for a getaway ride, I'd bet it was a smash and grab. I don't think Sweden allows you to own a firearm, making the chances of the perp having one less. Not that it's impossible to get one if you want to rob a place. The van wasn't burning rubber trying to leave the parking lot either. IMO, this was a case of bored cop having fun with a thief that just broke in to a closed shop.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Please, go on. :eatingpopcorn:
they make you pay for your time in jail... Sweden also uses garbage as their energy source. They are far from debt.... They don't need power plants, they are a neutral country so no advanced military spending needed, blah blah blah... Sweden is great :) Cold as FVCK in the northern parts though

·
Registered
448 Posts
damnnn but its a volvo, it can take a blow like that no mproblem

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Given that this was at night, the store was probably closed. With a minivan for a getaway ride, I'd bet it was a smash and grab. I don't think Sweden allows you to own a firearm, making the chances of the perp having one less. Not that it's impossible to get one if you want to rob a place. The van wasn't burning rubber trying to leave the parking lot either. IMO, this was a case of bored cop having fun with a thief that just broke in to a closed shop.
In Sweden clock can be 5 pm and it will be dark outside at some months of the year so the darkness in the video doesn't really say much about the time.

Not trying to sound cocky or anything but I've lived in Sweden for several years and I can assure you that getting your hands on a firearm is not any harder than in any other country.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts