Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some susp options for an srt10 viper.
everyone I see are on motons. is that my only option?
ohlins make anything for it comparable to the motons?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Moton's are the benchmark from what I've seen, I'd go that way. Honestly though, the stock suspension is more than capable to handle itself when piloted by a pro driver, so unless you feel you've reached the limits of the suspension at the track, put your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am looking for some susp options for an srt10 viper.
everyone I see are on motons. is that my only option?
ohlins make anything for it comparable to the motons?
Are you looking for an actual suspension to track with or street? Motons are great and probably the best in the Viper market. KW Suspension is a great alternative for club sporting. I race an ACR-X which comes factory with the KW Variant 3s and so far have held up better than expected. Penske is another great company I have used and currently run them on my Ford GT but they are very price comparable to the Motons.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Are you looking for an actual suspension to track with or street? Motons are great and probably the best in the Viper market. KW Suspension is a great alternative for club sporting. I race an ACR-X which comes factory with the KW Variant 3s and so far have held up better than expected. Penske is another great company I have used and currently run them on my Ford GT but they are very price comparable to the Motons.
Do you mind if I hate you? :D

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply guys...the car in question is an 04. I want to track it some but it will be mostly for street.
how adjustable are the motons? kw, penske?
high and low speed compression, rebound, ride height, damping?
what other mods do you viper guys normally do in regards to suspension. I have only had this one for a month so I am pretty new to this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
All will come with ride height adjustment but each manufacture has more than one setup for the Viper. Moton has a club sport, 3 way and full out 4 way adjustable which usually runs close to $10K by the time its said and done. Most guys running the Motons just run the club sports. KW offers their Variant 2, 3 and clubsport setups. Penske is the same as Moton offering 3 and 4 way setups.

KW product range /// When it comes to sporty suspension systems for every use KW is one of the leading providers.

Moton Suspension Technology

High Performance Street

·
Silver Sponsor
2,617 Posts
I ran KW's on my SRT-10, the level of confidence that they inspired was miles away from the stock suspension.

Here's my car with the KW's cranked down, it still rode well.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also what part of the country are you in? Is the car all stock?
I am in Richmond (near houston) Tx.
The car is bone stock.
I think I am looking at the 3 way motons. sounds like the best compromise for what I need.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which d2 wheel set is that? what size?
thats my exact car minus the wheels and brakes.

·
Silver Sponsor
2,617 Posts
which d2 wheel set is that? what size?
thats my exact car minus the wheels and brakes.
Its VS1 with our Bespoke Program finish package.

Sizes are 20x10 / 20x13 and the fitment is aggressive too.

The best part is this is a pic from 2008, imagine what we can cook up for you now!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got to ask why are you looking at a damper/spring change on a bone stock car? I'm not trying to be a jerk it's just that you are looking at spending a considerable amount of money and time to dial in a new setup. For instance it's taken me all season - 10 events- to dial in my stock suspension and tire pressures for my track(what can I say the conditions have been variable here including snow!).

What I'm getting at is; ‘what is your route problem?’ Is the car under steering or over steering? Are you experiencing uneven tire wear? Is the car unstable at higher speeds? Do you what to effect the weight transfer on corner entry or exist? In what kind of shape is the road course you are on in? Is it smooth or bumpy? How often do you run at the track? What tires are you running? what are your cold tire pressures? Have you taken any tire temps after hot lapping?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got to ask why are you looking at a damper/spring change on a bone stock car? I'm not trying to be a jerk it's just that you are looking at spending a considerable amount of money and time to dial in a new setup. For instance it's taken me all season - 10 events- to dial in my stock suspension and tire pressures for my track(what can I say the conditions have been variable here including snow!).

What I'm getting at is; ‘what is your route problem?’ Is the car under steering or over steering? Are you experiencing uneven tire wear? Is the car unstable at higher speeds? Do you what to effect the weight transfer on corner entry or exist? In what kind of shape is the road course you are on in? Is it smooth or bumpy? How often do you run at the track? What tires are you running? what are your cold tire pressures? Have you taken any tire temps after hot lapping?
thanks for the response.

tires are hoosier r6. did not temp them.
Track that I have run is MSR one weekend. it is pretty bumpy as all the tracks
in this area are pretty bumpy. the car is over steering. brake dives pretty bad also. have to remedy that first because the nose dive hides any transfer that I can tell.

I have been racing motorcycles for quite sometime (ama, wera, cmra) now and I always start with suspension. (I do my own setup) I do know cars are different but I want to try my hand at messing with a car set up. I also like having compression, rebound and damping adjustability to my disposal on most vehicles that I mess with.

car is also going under the knife soon. so I thought suspension might be a good place to start to go with the added power.
car wont be stock for long....will be going under the knife soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bignmz04, sounds like you have some plans for the car!

First, if you are running Hoosiers on an `04 you should really look at upgrading the oil pan and pick up to a 2008 - 2010 style. The early Gen 3 (`03-`04)Vipers had a problem with oil starvation and with the extra cornering forces that can be generated by running slicks this could cost a motor. I don`t want to be a doom sayer but a close friend of did grenade a motor due to thist problem. The good new is that if you are looking at more power and upgraded oil system is a great supporting mod.

For the suspension if you are already running Hoosiers then yes you are over working the OEM gear. Front dive would be magnified because of the additional grip and thus the back would be more twitchy. In the interim you could try adding adding a psi or two to the fronts and dropping a psi out of the backs to counteract the tendency to over steer. As for what after market dampers and springs it`s kind of a personal choice but both KW and Motons are great for Vipers. The draw back is that you will lose so of the ride quality (ya, I know that`s a funny thing to say about a Viper) on the streets so it really depends how much you track your car vs. driving it on the street.

Best of luck.
Geoff

P.S. your local track looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
msr is a lot of fun...I have been running it on bikes since i was 12 (on a 50 cc aprilla)
some really nice vipers show up here.
thanks for the advice. I will try that...should I run the same psi with the motons aswell?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Tire pressure will vary depending on the type of tire you run and has no effect with the Motons. You will just need to play around with pressures to find your liking.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tire pressure will vary depending on the type of tire you run and has no effect with the Motons. You will just need to play around with pressures to find your liking.
car stuff is so different than bike stuff....we change tire relative to the suspension.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys I just got back from VOI11 yesterday (fantastic trip).

CDubb is correct tire pressure does not require the damper settings to change. Think of tire pressure as more of a fine tuning element. A good starting point is what the Dodge but on the door jam for recommended tire pressures (Hoosiers may like less pressure - I'm not sure). From there take our tire temps across the tire (outside/mid/inside) for all 4 corners after coming in from hot laps. You should see a gradient of hottest to coolest temps with the inside being the hottest (the inside of the tire does the most braking and accelerating due to camber angle). This info is valuable in selecting alignment changes.
Good luck!

Geoff

CDubb: Is that your ACR-X in your avatar? I watched that car practice at Miller and who was ever driving it was doing a great job (nice trail braking into Club House Corner).

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
What about picking up a used set of ACR coilovers? That might be the best option for saving some cash and having all the adjustments.

Nick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Actual ACR coilovers are only sold through Dodge and are hard to get (long delivery times) plus uber expensive. The KW's on the ACR are different then the V3's that they have on the KW website. Motons would be my suggestion because of the remote reservoir and they are more reasonably priced.
Remember, shocks are wear items.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts