Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Sponsor
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW: Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG R&D Notes

Supersprint offers the widest range of Mercedes-Benz AMG high performance exhaust systems on the market. Throughout the years, we have amassed vast experience with Mercedes’ massive naturally aspirated and supercharged V8s.

Recently, Mercedes-Benz AMG completely changed their engine development philosophy to meet ever increasing fuel consumption requirements by reducing displacement and going to twin turbocharged V8s for higher end AMG offerings. Our research & development for the ML63 was based off the hundreds of hours spent refining our exhaust for the CLS63 and E63.

For full size images, visit:
NEW: Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG R&D Notes | Supersprint LabsSupersprint Labs

Stock Exhaust

The ML63 AMG’s stock exhaust is composed of downpipes with built-in ceramic catalytic converters, a hefty center resonator and into a large, internally baffled muffler along with newly redesigned AMG tips.

The stock exhaust is divided in 2 sections;

Catted downpipes
Center resonated section with rear muffler and tips

As with all Supersprint R&D efforts, they begin on our in-house MAHA dyno on which we recorded 533.7hp and 736.2Nm. The results are slightly over factory quoted numbers of 525hp and 700Nm.

Supersprint Exhaust Development

Due to the new twin turbo 5.5 V8 from AMG, sound characteristics have changed since the 6.2 naturally aspirated V8. We set out to bring back the classic AMG V8 sound while drastically improving performance.

The OEM exhaust piping diameter is 70mm and limits mid-range and high RPM performance. We tested various diameters and selected a 76mm diameter.

We engineered our exhaust configuration in 3 separate sections:

1. Downpipes: Must be installed with center pipes
  2. Center pipes: Can be installed to OEM downpipes and OEM rear muffler
  3. Rear muffler: Can be installed to OEM center pipes

Section 1 & 2: Downpipes & Center pipes

The OEM exhaust uses excessively restrictive ceramic catalytic converters right at the exit of the OEM turbos. We removed the OEM cats from the downpipes and replaced them with HJS metallic racing catalytic converters with much higher flow and heat management characteristics while retaining emissions compliance. The HJS cats were positioned further down the exhaust stream on the center pipes to improve turbo spooling speed, reduce backpressure and reduce exhaust gas temperatures.

The removal of the OEM cats will make the secondary O2 sensor read wrong values and will turn on the check engine light. To address this issue, it is necessary to use our optional microcats or reprogram the ECU. Along with an ECU tune and our exhaust system, upwards of 700hp is attainable.

For those that seek optimal performance gains and do not require emissions compliance, we developed catless center pipes available with or without resonators. The resonators provide a more civilized tone inside the cabin and reduce drone.

Section 3: Rear muffler

The rear muffler section was engineered and tuned upon completion of section I and II to improve the sound characteristics of the ML63 AMG and limit drone. We developed 2 variants of our rear muffler; Sport and F1 Race.

The Sport muffler is TUV approved and meets European noise regulations. The F1 race has specifically engineered muffler internals and Helmholtz chambers to increase high RPM sound while limiting drone and resonance. The muffler was designed to be fitted with Supersprint 4x120x80mm tips or the OEM AMG tips. Both mufflers are installed using slip-on joints and do not require welding.

Performance

Stock
Horsepower 533,7 Hp @ 5505 rpm
Torque 736,2 Nm @ 4365 rpm

Supersprint:
- Downpipe kit (replaces catalytic converter) 849411
- Centre pipes + catalytic converters kit right – left 849423
- Rear exhaust 849404

Horsepower 565,5 Hp @ 5695 rpm
Torque 757,9 Nm @ 3770 rpm

Sound

- Downpipe kit (replaces catalytic converter) 849411
- Centre pipes + catalytic converters kit right – left 849423
- Rear exhaust 849404

Mercedes W166 ML 63 AMG 2013 - Sound with full Supersprint exhaust +32 HP! - YouTube

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I choose to go with the centre pipe without cat would it trigger the CEL and what do I expect the sound difference compare to the centre pipe with cats? My ML has a performance package which has a slightly higher power output ,does your system works well with the car with PP thanks for reply

·
Silver Sponsor
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The catless center pipes (resonated or non-resonated) will not trigger a Check Engine Light if paired with the OEM downpipes. The difference in sound will be substantial as you are either completely deleting the resonators or fitting much smaller ones. If you want to gain sound without intrusive resonance, I would opt for a rear muffler instead. The center pipes remove the resonator that is right under the cabin and will introduce drone.

The kit was engineered to optimize flow up to 700hp / stage II tunes, it will work perfectly with the Performance package.

If I choose to go with the centre pipe without cat would it trigger the CEL and what do I expect the sound difference compare to the centre pipe with cats? My ML has a performance package which has a slightly higher power output ,does your system works well with the car with PP thanks for reply

·
Registered
315 Posts
can you use the factory tips? those tips look hideous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you please PM me price for the catback system with the non- resonated midpipe and expect delivery time ,are they in stock at the moment thx for reply

·
Registered
492 Posts
PM me price of DP and Non-res CP w/ that discount please and thank you :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts