Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, just looking for somebody who knows their sh!t when it comes to subis... im hoping to do some more mods to my car but theres so many different options out there im having a tough time deciding :eek:hwell: please let me know if you've got ideas/if you know somebody who does, i'd really appreciate the help/extra opinions, thanks! :bow1:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
what r you lookin to do? how much power? daily driver?

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
i know there are more than a few people here with vast knowledge on modifying Scoobies.

What's your goal with the car?

What are you looking to improve? handling? power? aesthetics?

What's your budget?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
perrin stage 2 kit is a blast! along with an fmic
Absolutely not! A FMiC on anything smaller than a 16g will cause lag up the ASS! Focus on suspension first then power, being able to take turns at 50mph~ safely is more fun than a 0-60 time.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Absolutely not! A FMiC on anything smaller than a 16g will cause lag up the ASS! Focus on suspension first then power, being able to take turns at 50mph~ safely is more fun than a 0-60 time.
I just recalled he did not have a stock turbo.... sorry

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
i know there are more than a few people here with vast knowledge on modifying Scoobies.

What's your goal with the car?

What are you looking to improve? handling? power? aesthetics?

What's your budget?
This.

Quite a few suby's in the Bay (including a few on here).

Are you on I-Club?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Depends what the purpose of the vehicle is for. I have one set up for weekend street/track driving and track and a daily. Both cars walk different paths in mods. Suspension goes a long way and then power them to your needs.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
+3

Give us your goals and we'll walk you through it.
:)
Stay away from Turbology!

...you'll end up with 500awhp :lol:

On a serious note- I'm sure some of us L4P Suby locals wouldnt mind getting together so you can see/hear some options as well :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sorry should have been alot more specific with what i want to do/done so far :p

Ive got the suspension redone/tires/brakes so half of the picture i have covered, but in terms of exhaust/tuning/downpipe exchange I'm really not sure.... i see most people with standard turboback/downpipe/stage 2 tuning one way or another but not really sure whats ACTUALLY best.
Its my daily driver so I'm not aiming to track it out, however more power/better handling is never a bad thing :D So far ive just got a standard catback, next moves anyone? :D

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
cobb accessport.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
definitely my major goal :bow1:
by all means I would love her to be faster in a straight line but driving her up in los altos hills is my real joy/i know scoobies are meant for corners more than anything, the OEM suspension i have now feels great compared to stock but I would love to know other options/ways i could still up its potential

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This.

Quite a few suby's in the Bay (including a few on here).

Are you on I-Club?
Yeah I just joined the mass of them in the bay :laugh:
I'm on I-club but i have a real tough time finding whats really best since there is so.. so much out there when it comes to the subaru modding world.
Ive got a friend whos also new to the subaru game except we both feel the same... so much info/so many alternatives out there, what to believe/trust and what not to

anyways definitely looking to keep it as more of a daily, not planning on bringing it to the track much(maybe once or twice just to have fun)
Im all ears! :bow1:

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
ok this is what i would do....

Invidia divorced downpipe
you already have cat back...what kind??
Short ram intake (Perrin/Blitz/Cobb/AEM/Injen/K&N etc...)
Cobb Accessport

car will feel good for a daily :)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
There is an immense amount of info, that's for sure. It's absolutely overwhelming sometimes.

...since you seem to have most everything else taken care of, I would recommend a downpipe and tune as your next moves. If you'd like to stay non-smelly (and somewhat legal) I'd go for a catted aftermarket DP. That'll free up your exhaust and allow you to get a Stg 2 tune. There are a few different ways to go with that- Cobb Accesport (easiest way forward, but also generic and not "specifically" tuned for you), a custom tune (tailored for your parts), lastly there's open-source tuning in which you do it all yourself.

Edit- Mike beat me :lol:

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Stay away from Turbology!

...you'll end up with 500awhp :lol:
:whistle:

Invidia divorced downpipe
+1. Since it's your daily and you live in CA, this (catted) is your best option for a downpipe. It won't make quite as much power as the catless version, but you'll be smoggable and the wastegate divider allows for more precise boost control and less chance of boost creep.

It's of course more expensive than the catless version, but it's entirely worth it to be emissions-legal and make good power.

Invidia USA.

As for the intake-side of things, you don't even have to get carried away. It's as simple as:
  • GP Moto resonator elbow
  • K&N panel filter
  • Perrin (or "knock-off") After-MAF hose
  • Perrin (or "knock-off") turbo inlet hose
That rig will pass visual emissions check guaranteed, especially if you get the black Perrin hoses. If I remember right, Perrin no longer offers them in red anyhow and also it's the only silicone turbo inlet that doesn't require removal of the intake manifold for installation.

Subaru WRX & STi Intake Silencer Delete Elbow

Perrin Performance - Afta-MAF Hose

Perrin Performance - Turbo Inlet Hose

Lastly, for the actual tune, save your hard-earned dough and get a Tactrix cable for an open-source tune. Cobb AP is a nice interface and works well, but it's pricey. As a matter of fact, most reputable tuners have their own cable and a custom tune will run you anywhere from $250-500.

ECU Tools

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Lastly, for the actual tune, save your hard-earned dough and get a Tactrix cable for an open-source tune. Cobb AP is a nice interface and works well, but it's pricey. As a matter of fact, most reputable tuners have their own cable and a custom tune will run you anywhere from $250-500.

ECU Tools

Good luck and keep us posted!

You definitely pay for ease of use with the AP. There are some reputable shops around the Bay that will definitely hook you up with tune, either loading it onto an AP or just flashing directly.

As for open-sourcing, check out LegacyGT.com. OS is a bit more prevalent with LGT owners and the site has a ton of info that is more organized and easier to find than I-club and NASIOC

Feel free to send me a PM here, on i-club (solsurferx) or on LGT (SCSpecB) if you want local info :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts