Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a possible client contact me today who was looking to have some photos done of one of their products.

They're looking for nothing flashy just simple white Back rounds that wont take away from the product.. seeing that i dont have my own studio how would you suggest i go about this? do you think its is possible to set up in my own garage with a white back drop and all white sheets around or would that be cheesy and not work? any insight will help thank you!

·
Registered
995 Posts
You better start practicing if this client is expecting professional product photos...it's not easy and you probably won't get it right on your first try. I've never tried myself, but a friend asked me once if I could do some product photos for one of their new ventures and I told him I've never done it before and I couldn't make any promises...people who aren't photographers don't usually realize that it's not a trivial transition from one type of photography to another =)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly, i see where your coming from. what they want doesnt seem to hard but then again ive never done it so i dont want to say one thing and have a really shitty out come.. ive thought of telling them that i can do it and if they decide to go with the photos that is when they can pay me.. i don know though cause it just sounds a bit unprofessional?

·
Registered
995 Posts
ive thought of telling them that i can do it and if they decide to go with the photos that is when they can pay me.. i don know though cause it just sounds a bit unprofessional?
That's exactly what I told my friend, and no hard feelings if he decided to find a real pro ( which he did ;) ) I never make a promise I'm positive I can't keep, and I would never promise to deliver professional work on something I have no experience in. If you are going to make a promise, at the very least I would practice and create some of your own 'product' photos to show the client what you can deliver.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Go to your local photo store and buy a roll of white seamless paper. It's 30 bucks at the maximum and will help create a much more professional background than some sheets. And if you are going to do it, please charge them. Just for the sake of photographers everywhere.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will be charging thats not a problem. i will be doing it like i said though because i havent done paid shots for products id want them to see the work and be happy before using it and paying for it to earn their trust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
WHY?

Doesn't the client know what your means are (no studio)? It seems you are going to be producing amateur results and asking for professional money. Having a studio and lighting setup really helps for a product shoot. Also earning their 'trust' is something the photos should take care of, but I guess buying the product wouldn't be bad either.

I do agree and strongly consider purchasing the white sheet of paper for the backdrop, at least you will be headed in the right direction. As for lighting, which is key for product photo shoots, use desk lamps as a substitute and drape wax or copy paper to diffuse the light. This is at least a start, however do not let the client see this as he/she might redact their agreement with you and will destroy your chances of working with them again as well as other contacts (potential clients) that they may know. This depends on your relationship with the client though.

Also a garage light is fluorescent, a desk lamp light is incandescent, if you're going to use the desk lamps make sure to adjust your white balance correctly to get the right colors. If you are unsure, hold something off-white in front of the camera and take test pictures changing the settings to get the white correctly colored. If you have a photo-editing program that allows you to change the color temperature (adobe lightroom does this, you can just download the trial) you can manipulate the white balance later in case you mess up the white balance in-camera.

If you think you are going to shoot more product photos in the future, get an external flash and/or better lighting. These can be found relatively cheap on eBay. DO NOT use the on-camera flash! For helpful lighting tutorials, visit Strobist .

What camera and lens do you have? A lens close to 100mm is good for getting up close to the subject without too much in the peripheral of the shot. Though, if you don't have the cash, just make the best of what you have.

Also, work on your grammar.

Constructive Criticism, hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those are pretty much optimized for that type of work. The company Cowboy Studios has good lighting setups too, be sure to check out some of their stuff. Some products there are on the expensive side but most are under $200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts