Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people use to clean the carpet inside the vehicle? I have been looking to upgrade and want to know what people are using and with what results.

I'v looked at the Little Green Machine but it seems kinda cheap. If anyone uses one and it works fantastically, great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
i use the same household steamvac from hoover. i dont get my car dirty so never need a dedicated steam cleaner for car. if you track a lot of dirt, it would be easier getting rubber floor mats.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i use the same household steamvac from hoover. i dont get my car dirty so never need a dedicated steam cleaner for car. if you track a lot of dirt, it would be easier getting rubber floor mats.
I detail cars during the summer, and need a way to clean the floors and carpets better than what I am using now. I need deep clean action.

How much do you want to spend?
What kind of price range are we talking? Probably no more than $250.

·
Registered
758 Posts
$250 keeps you out of any serious tools... a real extractor is going to run your $450+ and a steamer is going to be $600+

That being said save your pennies and buy a VX5000 Steamer... it is an amazing tool!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Get a Bissell little green machine with heat and decide what you'll really need in the long run. LGM's are pretty awesome for their price (<150).

I use one on a weekly basis, it has literally never let me down. I'm doing lighter extraction work though, and am willing to sacrifice a bit more time to get better results.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I think I'll get the green machine and try it out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don't waste your money on a worthless machine like the LGM. It has no power and no depth. You're better off using a toothbrush and a cup of hot water. Seriously if you plan on taking detailing seriously spend the money and get a real machine. There's just no sense in spending bad money. Mytee makes some top notch extractors. Steamers work to a point and definatly have their uses but much to what others think a steamer and a extractor server two entirely different purposes and one should not replace the other. a steamer breaks down surface crud and some stains. and extractor will sanitize deep down. I personally feel both machines are really needed in a good detailing shop. and you will come across many instances where you will need one or the other or even both. You can get a decent HP60 or similar extractor for under $800. The Grand Prix HP 100 will be just over a grand these days at the right place. A little steep in some cases but it will pay for itself very quickly. Especially if you get into volume work. It's one of the first questions most places will ask if you have a real carpet extractor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
$250 keeps you out of any serious tools... a real extractor is going to run your $450+ and a steamer is going to be $600+

That being said save your pennies and buy a VX5000 Steamer... it is an amazing tool!
+1 on the VX5000

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you're not wanting to spend to get professional level equipment, as it appears since you said you are doing this in the summer, then why not simply buy a wet/dry shop vacuum and them use a lot of elbow grease and hand tools to get the carpets clean?

Years ago I ran a detail department at a dealership and the owners would never spend the money to get a steam cleaner or water extractor for reasons that lots of sense but it simply meant that my staff and I spent time with the shop vacuum and scrub brushes.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't waste your money on a worthless machine like the LGM. It has no power and no depth. You're better off using a toothbrush and a cup of hot water. Seriously if you plan on taking detailing seriously spend the money and get a real machine. There's just no sense in spending bad money. Mytee makes some top notch extractors. Steamers work to a point and definatly have their uses but much to what others think a steamer and a extractor server two entirely different purposes and one should not replace the other. a steamer breaks down surface crud and some stains. and extractor will sanitize deep down. I personally feel both machines are really needed in a good detailing shop. and you will come across many instances where you will need one or the other or even both. You can get a decent HP60 or similar extractor for under $800. The Grand Prix HP 100 will be just over a grand these days at the right place. A little steep in some cases but it will pay for itself very quickly. Especially if you get into volume work. It's one of the first questions most places will ask if you have a real carpet extractor.
I don't make/charge enough to warrant spending 1000+ on equipment. This isn't my career, just something I do on the side and I was just looking for options to buy that would be better than hand scrubbing.
If you're not wanting to spend to get professional level equipment, as it appears since you said you are doing this in the summer, then why not simply buy a wet/dry shop vacuum and them use a lot of elbow grease and hand tools to get the carpets clean?

Years ago I ran a detail department at a dealership and the owners would never spend the money to get a steam cleaner or water extractor for reasons that lots of sense but it simply meant that my staff and I spent time with the shop vacuum and scrub brushes.
That is what I do right now, but it doesn't seem to be as effective. What kind of product do you work into the carpet with the brushes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts