Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the best steak house in NYC? We are staying with some friends so we want to treat them good for letting us stay with them due to the Bed Bug issue.....:(

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Peter Lugers

If you're a party of 4, order:

2 steaks for 2
creamed spinach
home fries

This is their signature meal...no need for a menu. If you want an appetizer go for either the fire & ice (tomato and onion with Peter Luger sauce) or shrimp cocktail.

* you get props there for knowing your stuff, and foregoing the menu...also, bring cash, no credit cards accepted but their own.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Ahhh Peter Lugers is over rated !! BLT Prime, Wolfgangs, Mark Josephs. Either of those would be a good choice. If your looking for an all around place you still cant be the OLD Homestead also...

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Ahhh Peter Lugers is over rated !! BLT Prime, Wolfgangs, Mark Josephs. Either of those would be a good choice. If your looking for an all around place you still cant be the OLD Homestead also...
The Old Homestead blows, sorry.

Been to everyone one, and still think Lugers is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll been searching and the Peter Lugers keeps popping up! I'll check into it.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
not every steak house makes each cut of meat the best..
I have been to all of em and i know my steaks.
Dino what cut of cow do you crave?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
True, but the classic steak house cut is the porterhouse, and the best size is the steak for 2.

The exception for me was when the staff at Prime 112 in South Beach talked me into a bone-in rib eye...was great!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
True, but the classic steak house cut is the porterhouse, and the best size is the steak for 2.

The exception for me was when the staff at Prime 112 in South Beach talked me into a bone-in rib eye...was great!
i finished the porter for 4 last time i was there) luger is known throughout the world for their prime rib actually.

all the steakhouse who I sell to (i am a rancher who raises, angus, wagyu and brahman) display their filet as the house steak. they can be more creative with it. more often than not the filet found in a steakhouse will also be a better quality than the porter. a good filet will also cost more per oz than a porter will.

most in the industry go to lugers for prime rib more so than the porter as porters are more of a texan thing nowadays.

next time i suggest that you order a cowboy ribeye...also called a tomahawk steak...its a lot of bone but its the best steak that i can professionally recommend. most places dont have it on the menu but keep it...and if they dont know what it is...walk out.

but in the end its all about what the person prefers. what you, dino, or I prefer in a steak will differ greatly.

thats why i have a list of of who makes a certain cut of beef the best...this includes all the steaks from the old fashined american primal cuts (more common) and the new trend of the british primal cuts.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a new York strip and bone in ribeye.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
i finished the porter for 4 last time i was there) luger is known throughout the world for their prime rib actually.

all the steakhouse who I sell to (i am a rancher who raises, angus, wagyu and brahman) display their filet as the house steak. they can be more creative with it. more often than not the filet found in a steakhouse will also be a better quality than the porter. a good filet will also cost more per oz than a porter will.

most in the industry go to lugers for prime rib more so than the porter as porters are more of a texan thing nowadays.

next time i suggest that you order a cowboy ribeye...also called a tomahawk steak...its a lot of bone but its the best steak that i can professionally recommend. most places dont have it on the menu but keep it...and if they dont know what it is...walk out.

but in the end its all about what the person prefers. what you, dino, or I prefer in a steak will differ greatly.

thats why i have a list of of who makes a certain cut of beef the best...this includes all the steaks from the old fashined american primal cuts (more common) and the new trend of the british primal cuts.
Sure seems you know a lot more than me, but I've been to Lugers no less than 60 times, and have never seen a prime rib on any plate, ever.

I'll try and find a cowboy ribeye based on your recommendation though.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
blt prime american wagyu ribeye. order it rare to medium rare (tell em lipstick pink) and you are good to go.
ribye is where the american waygyu shines over full wagyu (kobe) the marbling is a little more diluted so you dont feel like you are eating a bunch of fat.
i raise only full wagyu professionally but i do have a personal herd stash of american wagyu. which is made by breeding angus and waygu.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Lugers is the place to go.

blt prime american wagyu ribeye. order it rare to medium rare (tell em lipstick pink) and you are good to go.
ribye is where the american waygyu shines over full wagyu (kobe) the marbling is a little more diluted so you dont feel like you are eating a bunch of fat.
i raise only full wagyu professionally but i do have a personal herd stash of american wagyu. which is made by breeding angus and waygu.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Sure seems you know a lot more than me, but I've been to Lugers no less than 60 times, and have never seen a prime rib on any plate, ever.

that is true also....you should try their prime rib...you will like it. as far as i remember that is what their history is based on. i could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
i do wanna say that lugers does make a great porterhouse...just not the best that i have had at a restaurtant. their prime rib however was the best that i have ever had.
there is just too many mom and pop texas establishments that make a seriously good porter compared to what you can find in ny. the porter there is renowned but its just not the best of the best compared to others around the country. their prime rib is. but thats to me.

i think thats what i was trying to say the whole time lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts