Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I'm a builder of luxury custom homes in the Houston area (Memorial, Woodlands, etc). I'm finally able to start spending some time on my dream home which is going to be a family compound of sorts (the old folks live with me cause pops is sick and my nephews and nieces will be moving in as well).

I'm going from a 50s bungalow that I love, and will be moving to a traditional Italian/Tuscan villa (not the popular spanish/med amalgamation). Something with lots of stone, courtyards and indoor/outdoor space. The current plan has four courtyards, but it is only a sketch and I sit down with the designer next week (he has designed all the homes I've built and is extraordinary) and get started finalizing the design process. It will be built on just over an acre on Hunter's Creek in the Memorial Villages (Hunter's Creek Village to be specific) and we will be making use of the elevation changes from the lot level to the 35' drop to the ravine.

When the plans are done, I'll post the renderings, so stay tuned. In about 24 months, everything should be done and I'll be moving in. Very excited.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ill be following this as well

good luck on this... construction of your own home is the most stressful time ever... nothing comes out "just right" the first time around and you gotta keep yelling at people!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whenever the word "ravine" is used in high end residential construction, I'm interested. Keep us posted :)
Ravine lots are high dollar in Houston. Sure, they are generally just creeks and tributaries to the bayous, but in a city with no real terrain to speak of, it is the equivalent of a hill lot. I personally like them because I love water and I like the idea of getting creative about how to incorporate it in to the design.

ill be following this as well

good luck on this... construction of your own home is the most stressful time ever... nothing comes out "just right" the first time around and you gotta keep yelling at people!
I'm used to the stress as I've built quite a few luxury custom homes, almost all bigger than what I'm building for myself. The difference is that materials and finish choices were made by the home owners rather than me, which is where I'm going to get stressed out. Luckily, I've been keeping a log of materials that I love and how I'd want to use them as I went through this process with others. Their misery will hopefully help me with my process.

My biggest concern really is getting bogged down with more projects and having to defer my own home, which is a pretty likely event. Tis the curse of being a builder I suppose.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
very excited to see the sketches. congratulations on finally building your dream home!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts